Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have lost weight- how does it feel to be thin?

Hey all! Looking forward to starting this journey in two weeks. I am wondering what it is like for those of you who are now “thin” or who have lost the weight? Do you lead a pretty normal lifestyle? Do you still obsess about nutrition and exercise?

my energy levels are up

i don't fall asleep every time i sit down (sleep apnea issue)

i can do things now i haven't in years

i don't look at every situation with an eye towards will i fit - literally

clothes are cheaper

all good things

what negatives do i find - for me i will always miss bread but it is my gateway food back to where i was so its gone from my life

Only 13 weeks post OP so here is my take at this point. My health issues are all resolved! No diabetes, no High Blood Pressure, NO Kidney Disease! I do not dread flying for my job now as I fit in the seat and even if a larger person is sitting next to me it's not a problem! Before this was a problem. I am still in the honeymoon phase but I do not miss food and do not have hunger! I am not looking forward to when/if I regain my hunger. That was the most strange thing for me to get used to. Eating was and is a chore with no hunger to let you know it is time to eat. LOL. Also getting to know the "tells" that your body lets you know when it is time to stop eating are interesting. I either get small burps, hiccups, or my nose starts running. It is all good as of now, but I am somewhat obsessed with my diet and exercise. Good Luck!

2 minutes ago, ScoutCR said:

Only 13 weeks post OP so here is my take at this point. My health issues are all resolved! No diabetes, no High Blood Pressure, NO Kidney Disease! I do not dread flying for my job now as I fit in the seat and even if a larger person is sitting next to me it's not a problem! Before this was a problem. I am still in the honeymoon phase but I do not miss food and do not have hunger! I am not looking forward to when/if I regain my hunger. That was the most strange thing for me to get used to. Eating was and is a chore with no hunger to let you know it is time to eat. LOL. Also getting to know the "tells" that your body lets you know when it is time to stop eating are interesting. I either get small burps, hiccups, or my nose starts running. It is all good as of now, but I am somewhat obsessed with my diet and exercise. Good Luck!

I also forgot no more CPAP my sleep apnea is resolved as well.

I feel like the person I used to be before my weight gain, like the person I always was on the inside is showing on the outside again.

Physically, I can do more, faster, and with less effort. I have less aches and pains. I still can't believe it's me when I pass by a reflective window or mirror. I want to stop and stare but I know how weird that would look, lol.

I wonder how it feels to a person who has always been thin, because I keep thinking of myself as "normal" now, and it makes me sad to think that I ever thought of myself as less worthy because of my weight. We are our own worst critics.

I still obsess about diet and exercise. I have to, because it would be so easy to revert to old habits. I'm sure the people around me are sick of hearing about it! I need to find some groups that want to exercise and do active things as a form of socializing instead of going out to eat.

I'm not thin, nor do I want to be thin :)

I am, however at a very healthy weight and my body fat is under 28%...which is perfect for me.

I am a muscular, fit, strong force to be reckoned with.

I run again, ride my mountain bike, landscape, kayak, rock climb and am having a hell of a lot of fun:)

Best part is to be off all my meds (save thyroid) and have perfect labs.

My diet is extremely different, but it's awesome and it makes me feel really good. I don't feel deprived and I splurge on treats in tightly controlled moderation. I exercise A LOT...I do fun stuff and it makes me feel really good:)

It's worth it. And it's wonderful:)

Edited by Creekimp13

I'm not thin, nor do I want to be thin [emoji4]
I am, however at a very healthy weight and my body fat is under 28%...which is perfect for me.
I am a muscular, fit, strong force to be reckoned with.
I run again, ride my mountain bike, landscape, kayak, rock climb and am having a hell of a lot of fun:)
Best part is to be off all my meds (save thyroid) and have perfect labs.
My diet is extremely different, but it's awesome and it makes me feel really good. I don't feel deprived and I splurge on treats in tightly controlled moderation. I exercise A LOT...I do fun stuff and it makes me feel really good:)
It's worth it. And it's wonderful:)

This- this is what I want.
Researching WLS options now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It feels a lot like the old younger you but better rested, breathing easier and with extra energy no caffeine needed. You fit in the spaces you believe you should but previously didn't, like the regular bathroom stalls, getting in and out of cars happens in an instant and without lots of sound effects, and you don't have to constantly worry about being big and ALL it entails.

Not obsessing over anything these days, happy to have gotten when I am so far, and where I land , I'll be happy there too.

Edited by Tealael

Being thin feels better. I dare to say it not only feels better but it is better.

I don't think there are any downsides. I still obsess about nutrition and exercise but I also did when I was heavier. I seriously doubt that it will ever be different.

I view sports and nutrition as some kind of hobby though in the sense that I also read books about exercise and nutrition, injury rehab and prevention etc. - however, that's nothing new as well.

When it comes to physical ailments and everyday life: everyday life is still stressful. A 24-h-shift is still a 24-h-shift, idiots are still idiots and in general I still wear the same kind of clothing, only several sizes smaller.

I still have physical ailments, some are even worse than before because after all not everything is weight related (yeah, that shoulder injury seems to get more and more nagging).

_____

In sum I'd say life is better - being of what is viewed as "normal size" seems to take a certain edge off everyday hassles for me but it certainly didn't make me bullet proof.

I might be the only one willing to talk about it, but it’s mentally challenging too. It’s not all rainbows and butterflies when you get close to goal. I have a hard time as seeing myself as healthy/thinned. I still very much feel like the fat kid sometimes. Also the “old me” sometimes tries to come back and say “yeah totally go get that Sonic sandwich” and crap like that. Is it better, yes. Is it easier, not in every aspect of life. But that’s just my two cents. I’m young , I have a lot of time to reconcile my feelings about it all 😂

Edited by redhead_che

I feel amazing. In all the ways everyone has already posted about but especially self confidence and in general just being a stronger person not worrying about “it all”

I still obsess with diet - I think we have to or end up right back where we were. This “magic” of the wls is work from the get go but as time passes the pendulum swings to more of our own accountability toward what we have learned as our new lifestyle of eating healthier and in portions that are appropriate . At this stage we need to follow those new found / learned rules so yea, for me - diet will be something I focus on for the long haul.

It’s a completely amazing and transformational journey both physically and emotionally.

Good luck to you!

I still look in the mirror (down 170 lbs) and think who the hell is that skinny b***h?
I panic over food. I don't crave anything anymore, though. I still wonder if I'll break a chair if I sit in it. It a very bizarre feeling to be thin after all this time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Great thread!! Love it. Can't wait to start my journey and unleash my inner self I once was. Hiding from going places where I'm afraid to run into people I know and the current comments " Wow, you look great!"

yeah right! I know what they're thinking. LOL!!

And , like me, you will always be suspicious of what THEY REALLY MEAN!

I am 10 months out from surgery and am down 144lbs from my high weight last year. Physically I feel amazing other than having had my gallbladder removed a few days ago. I feel better now than I did 10 years ago. My issue comes in mentally where my mind still hasn’t caught up with my physical state. I am 6’4” and currently sitting at 189lbs so well within the normal BMI range now. The funny thing is though I constantly have family members telling me that I have gotten too skinny and don’t look healthy. Yet with all of that said, in my head I still see the same person I was a year ago before I began this journey. That constant mental battle to see myself in my true current state is a good thing in a way though because it has kept me focused on my journey. It really seems to help me stay in line when it comes to my eating and exercise.