Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In absolute shock

So I go into surgery yesterday morning to only be woken up with the surgeon stating they had to stop because of my blood pressure plummeting and having an abnormal EKG.

The anesthesiologist saw that my blood pressure was not rising properly with adjustment meds while they were cutting on me and a EKG that wasn’t looking right.

They had everything prepared to start the procedure with the robot when the anesthesiologist told the surgeon to stop. Afterwards they did a cardiac enzyme count and it was normal they did another EKG and it was normal. I have to go to a cardiologist to be cleared before they will do the procedure.

So now I sit here with seven holes in me and an abdomen full of gas and Fluid as I gained 7 pounds from yesterday morning before the procedure to when I returned home around lunchtime with nothing to gain for it.

The surgeon and the anesthesiologist think it may have something to do with the fact that I take lisinopril and they were not prepared for that. So now I have paid $17,000 cash to be cut on and nothing to show for it.

By the way my liver looked marvelous according to the surgeon.

He did ask me afterwards if I had a stress test before. I said no. He reacted surprised.....

I know God has a plan. I just wish I knew what the plan was??

The only thing I can tell you is be happy they caught it instead of being a statistic. I don't know why your surgeon would even do the surgery without being cleared by cardiology and the fact that you are on blood pressure meds. Is he willing to do the surgery without being paid again. That would suck totally. But you are still here which is a plus to me.

So sorry to hear about your experience. I am also surprised that it was not mandatory for you to see a cardiologist. I had every test known to man before my surgery but that was an insurance requirement. You are lucky that they did stop as I had several people and family tell me about people who died during bypass surgery. They were just concerned for me, but it does make you think about what could happen. Good luck and I hope the surgeon gives you a break on the next operation.

I'm very sorry to hear this but of course, it sounds like it was in your best interest for them to stop. A word about the cash payment; In 2009 I had elective surgery that I paid cash for. However it did not correct my problem. The Dr did the operation again about 1 month later and I only had to pay for the Anesthiologiest again, nothing else. I believe may be the case with you as well.

My heart goes out to you.....

I’m so sorry that this happened to you. It must have been so disorienting and disappointing to wake up and not have your procedure completed.

Hopefully the above poster is correct and your payment can mostly be salvaged.

I hope everything works out for you and keep us posted.

The anesthesiologist is a friend of mine and know exactly what y’all are saying. He stopped it for my best interest and I am grateful for him doing that.

Praying all goes well at cardiologist Monday.

I can't imagine how horribly disappointing that must be. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, even if we can't see that reason at the time. I hope they can get you cleared and that you can still do the procedure. I can't imagine the surgeon charging for an incomplete surgery, hopefully they will be able to do it again without significant cost to you.

Keep your head up brother. Everything will work itself out. Do what they want of you so the next time in all will go as planned.

Well Shite! So sorry about the bad luck. But maybe it's good luck in the end? Most important thing is to keep you safe. Jump through your hoops and make sure your heart can handle it. You'll get there. So sorry for the delay, though.

Wishing you the best.

Oh so sorry, i’m sure you’re super disappointed. I’m surprised you didn’t have to get cardiac clearance prior to surgery. I also take lisinopril along with several other meds, took them the morning of surgery per my Dr. but I’d also had to have a CT, echo, ekg and chest x-rays before i could ever go under anesthesia. Good luck.

I have cardiac disease strongly in my family, before I got my cardiac clearance I had testing over a 3 week period. Like my BariBud BeeCat above I had all those, stress test , Holter Monitor etc. Did find a teensy anomoly, did not bar me from surgery but I will be on a every year check to make sure of no progression. And I gleaned a wonderful young female cardiologist in the deal. So it worked for the best. if I need more medication in the future, if I later require cardiac surgery, maybe 5-10% chance, she can and will take excellent care of me. Now I am 72 years old, yeah I know , not an usual age for major surgery let alone Bariatric surgery. But I am special, I am as healthy as a 45 year old, just trapped in a fat 72 year old shell. Peeves my PCP I have better test readings than he does and he isn't 50 yet.
I told my Dr Needleman I would prefer an open rather than ending up as you did. These days 99,9% are laprascopic , so open is pretty rare. He leaned back in his rolling office chair, grinned and Said " Do you really want an 8-10 inch abdominal incision to have to heal?" I flipped up my 👕, and smiled back , I have an 6 inch right paramedian scar from 34 years ago when I lost my appendix and gall bladder. It lies just to the right of my navel, 3 inches above, 3 inches below. I smiled sweetly when I did it and he said " Okay, Okay, point taken. I'll keep that in mind!" His nurse told me later I had won THAT challenge.
And Cardiology was only one of many. Began to think I should have had my good friend who will be my tattooist, put a representation of a legal tablet on the other side of my belly from the scar, that way each speciality could put their initials and date.
And on September 5th At 7 AM EDT, Yes the first of that day, so if it takes more than 1.5 hours he will be in no rush, My REBIRTHDAY will come, my Wonder Wednesday when I become a " kangaroo" because like them I will have a little pouch.
Scared, heck no! I drowned my fears in my tears long ago, now I yearn to start on my new improved life , use my surgical reconstruction for my benefit and live, baby, live!😝👍😷👍🌈

I am so sorry. But glad they did the safe thing. Also rooting for you to have the actual sleeve ASAP for only the anesthesia fee as someone said above! Good luck tomorrow at the cardiologist.

Wow! As others have said, what a shock and disappointment! So glad you are safe though, and hoping that the financial part works out and that you get a safe and effective procedure in the end. Keep us posted, please!

I am so sorry that you had to go through that! Be thankful to our Heavenly Father that your team put the brakes on! I am surprised that they did not have you do the works on heart tests. I was taking 4 blood pressure meds and my PCP would not sign off until I did an EKG, Echo, and the Nuclear Stress Tests. All those came back abnormal. I had to get an Angiogram and get cleared by a Cardiologist before my PCP signed off on the surgery. Since surgery, I have been only take 3 of my blood pressure meds because that 4th one tastes absolutely TERRIBLE crushed!! I would suggest getting cleared by a Cardiologist and talking to your Surgeon about your options on retrying the surgery. Much luck to you!