Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op (No dumping, no vomiting) an I missing a signal?

Any body else out there have great success with their surgery? Up and walking evening of surgery, walking 5+ laps around the unit 5x a day, mild nausea, no vomiting, no dumping. Controlled pain at home (still on narcotics 2 times a day - mostly for sleep).

While my surgeon is so very pleased (and me too) and says I'm doing, "above average" I cant help but think my body wont help me with things I shouldn't eat. It's still early, but mildly disappointing. I'm on Stage 2 *all liquids* but I feel like my stomach is ironclad UNLESS I'm missing a sign or feeling (which could be possible).

When you eat something that doesn't sit well or your stomach disagrees, what does it feel like for you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

You are fresh out of surgery. If you’re staying on the liquid diet within all your parameters, you shouldn’t be dumping. Some may get nausea but that’s somewhat normal. Even when you start eating, not all people get dumping. I don’t and it was a concern for me; but then again, it’s all self control.

When you start eating foods, even soft foods, you may have an aversion to some.

You should not experience dumping on full liquids. Dumping is caused by eating sugary foods. You could get it if you drink full sugar gatorade, lemonade, etc.

I have never vomited. I have never dumped.

I did have a few episodes with foods that didn’t sit well. When this happens it feels like I’m having a heart attack. Once it happened with diced ham. Once it happened with this Protein cake thing I ordered from here. I ate two bites, felt like I swallowed a basketball. When it happens, you’ll know.

I had a strong stomach before my surgery so I’m not shocked by my lack of nausea, vomiting, or other things some people experience.

I have never vomited. I have never dumped.
I did have a few episodes with foods that didn’t sit well. When this happens it feels like I’m having a heart attack. Once it happened with diced ham. Once it happened with this Protein cake thing I ordered from here. I ate two bites, felt like I swallowed a basketball. When it happens, you’ll know.
I had a strong stomach before my surgery so I’m not shocked by my lack of nausea, vomiting, or other things some people experience.
I occasionally get a sharp shooting pain after drinking. Its sharp, mostly to the left side and right under my brest bone. When this happens I stop drinking and wait a while before trying again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

My experience was good, no bad side effects. On occasion however I can sometimes get some serious as acid ony stomach at night and wakes me up, but after many Tums, sitting and a little bread, it goes away.

You aren't missing anything. I believe most people goes just fine.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Same here. Your not missing any signs. I had a bit of nausea for 2 days post but that's gone. Get that breast bone feeling when I drink too fast or when I get full. On mushy stage and get full super quick but have done well otherwise with everything I've tried so far. Your doing great!! Hope it stays that way for all of us!!!!!!

I didn’t have dumping until I got to solid foods.You will know when it happens!Its horrible.You get extremely nauseous.What I mean is the kind where people look and you and ask if you’re ok.Cols sweats,rapid heartbeat.Whenever I would dump I would have to force myself to throw up.I am not telling anyone else to do that.I couldn’t handle the feeling it was too intense.I would throw up,then I was ok.