Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PROTEIN ABSORPTION MYTH: can a person only absorb so much protein in, say, one hour?

Is it true that a person can only absorb a certain amount of Protein at a time, like 20g or 30g?

This is mostly FALSE.

The body absorbs the amount of protein it needs at any given time – it doesn’t turn off or automatically stop at 20g or 30g or 40g.

There is a myth that protein absorption is capped at a maximum amount for a given period of time. While the body is able to absorb as much as 300 to 400 grams of protein during a 24-hour period, this is not recommended because there are complications associated with a protein intake that high. The high end of protein-per-day recommendation is 100 to 120 grams. Absorption of protein relies on many factors including – source of protein, length of the Roux limb in gastric bypass, size of the sleeve or pouch and one's intake of micronutrients like zinc.

The myth probably has something to do with the recommendation that it’s always better to spread out one's protein.

The human body is full of variations for different circumstances – sometimes the body needs more protein such as right after surgery or sometimes less protein, as in the middle of a long sedentary workday.

Five small balanced meals or three meals and two protein Snacks is a universal bariatric recommendation.

https://www.bariatriceating.com/2016/08/faq-dietician-told-can-absorb-20g-protein-time-limit-shake-size/

Bariatric surgery isn’t mentioned in this article, but there’s this: "while it’s technically true that we aren’t absorbing 30 grams (let alone more) of protein all at once, it will eventually be absorbed." (In other words, we don't just poop it out.)

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-and-use-from-one-meal/

My bariatric surgeon told me that the super high Protein Shakes, waters etc were overkill. He said our bodies would absorb on average 20-30g at a time and sice we were to be taking in a steady supply of protei throughout the day that more than that at a sitting was unnecessary.

@Chrisb428 Your surgeon's view supports the message in this article. A steady supply of Protein throughout the day makes more sense than trying to consume a "super high protein shake". This little-by-little advice is consistent with many of the Vitamins many of us already take.

For me---calcium citrate chewable wafers*, 4x/day, a Multivitamin (Solaray®Spectro® 250 capsules) with low doses (in each capsule) of all the fat- and water-soluble vitamins plus important micronutrients like zinc, copper, and selenium. My Vitamin also contains Probiotics, various herbs, and digestive enzymes meant to be taken 6 times a day evenly spaced throughout 24 hours. One sublingual B12 every day. Supplemental (heme) Iron 18mg; I also have some non-heme iron 22mg that I alternate with the heme iron. I take magnesium citrate 400mg twice a week to help with all the cramping in my legs (not sure if this is helping.) I've been on prescribed Vitamin D-2 (ergocalciferol) 1.25mg or 50,000 U; this I take twice weekly. I also have to work in my antidepressants, low-dose blood pressure medication, and, of course, my narcotic pain meds. It's a lot to work out, and most days I don't get in everything I should. I sleep late, I forget...

I find it incredibly hard to follow any schedule that parcels out my day. Don't combine this vitamin or mineral with this or that, eat food with this one, not with another one. I try my best. I still have difficulty trying to get in even minimal amounts of protein, so at least knowing that a little protein here and there is how my body likes it is good news for me. Still, I have to try harder.

*I take a seperate Calcium supplement because the calcium in my multivitamin is calcium , which can't be properly absorbed by gastric bypass patients because of decreased stomach acid.

eret6.thumb.gif.e7721d750dd61ad6b1264c97f4c2199d.gif

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

I tried to make my image larger, but it always seems to lock in at this unreadable size. Any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I tried to make my image larger, but it always seems to lock in at this unreadable size. Any suggestions?

I use my phone. When i click it, I can enlarge it.

The whole 30g Protein limit never made sense to me from an evolutionary perspective. We used to go out and kill an antelope and gorge on it, then not have substantial protein for a few days, maybe grazing on some nuts and seeds along the way. I can buy that we may have a declining absorption with quantity - the first 30g is fully absorbed, the next 30g maybe 85% absorbed, the next 30g maybe 72%, etc.; that would make sense biologically.

I can certainly buy into the idea that supplements that hit our system all at once have limits - it's a big difference between a pint of super miracle Protein Drink hitting all at once, and a pile of antelope that has to be digested and absorbed over time, We have discussed such things in our support group at times, with things like the classic iron/calcium conflict - makes sense when discussing supplements, but considering the number of foods and food combinations that have both Iron and Calcium in them, the time element for digestion and absorption comes into play.

I had read (livestrong.com maybe?) that our systems can process about 8-10g Protein an hour. It seems logical to me to spread the protein intake throughout the day, hence the 6 small meals per day plan my hospital advocates. I just put protein in everything I injest. By end of day I've hit my required 65g daily. I, too hate having my day parceled out into do this with this, and do that with that. But it's temporary, and we all find a rhythm that works for each of us.

Had my 1st surgical post-op appt 10 days out from surgery. I was told that in 3-5 weeks I could expect to stop losing weight for up to a 14 day period - that it is normal, and it's just the body adjusting and catching up to itself - so not to worry. I'm glad they said that, or I'd be really upset and confused!!! So far I'm averaging about 1# per day wt loss.

@RickM I enjoy your posts because they always seem to include quirky little personal details. I love the idea of you gorging on an antelope instead of the usual, "I just had a really big Protein Shake with like, uh, 60g of protein." Your "antelope shake" story is the ultimate Protein intake comparison. (And by "story" I'm not suggesting that this is something you made up; I believe it. Where did you eat this antelope, by the way?)

Hi, @nibble ... my research buddy!:) I've been averaging about 1/2-1lb per day. No complaints, though I wonder if there's any connection between my rapid weight loss and the painful cramps in my legs. (And the pain has to be substantial for me to even notice. Being opioid tolerant, almost nothing surpasses the source of my chronic pain: my right ankle.)

I'm taking a separate magnesium supplement, hoping that it'll help with the cramping. So far, little relief. It's a conundrum: do I rest my crampy legs or do I try to walk off my cramps so my calf muscles won't become even more atrophied? I've been doing a lot of both. The walking actually helps while I'm walking, but afterward, I wonder if I overdid it.)

Maybe I should try an "antelope shake" as a remedy for my aching calves.:D

2 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@RickM I enjoy your posts because they always seem to include quirky little personal details. I love the idea of you gorging on an antelope instead of the usual, "I just had a really big Protein Shake with like, uh, 60g of protein." Your "antelope shake" story is the ultimate Protein intake comparison. (And by "story" I'm not suggesting that this is something you made up; I believe it. Where did you eat this antelope, by the way?)

I wasn't speaking so much as personally, but as to how our ancestors lived, and how we as a species evolved to eat and process food. We see so many things that are today supposed to be bad for us (grains are bad, fruit is bad, fat is bad, carbohydrates are bad...) that were staples of our ancestors' lives that we need to take a step back and try to figure out if there is something inherently wrong about these foods (unlikely, given history) or something about how we are using or processing them today that may cause problems (much more likely).

2 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

separate magnesium supplement, hoping that it'll help with the cramping.

Hi Missouri Lee! I'm curious if those leg cramps are like what joggers might get from lactic acid buildup in their calves and they have to lean over to stretch the hams to release it. Are you injesting more dairy now with the whey Protein, etc? My med issue was what to take in place of Celebrex for arthritis now that NSAIDS are a no-no. Then my dr said Curcumin - now FDA approved for arthritic pain. It's tumeric, related to ginger. 1 teaspoon per day or purchased capsules. I'm researching it now -- of course!

Edited by nibble
typo

@RickM. After rereading your initial post, I can now see how "we" could have been referring to our hunting-and-gathering ancestors. Perhaps I misread your post because of all the survival shows one encounters on TV nowadays and because the scenario of you being Mr. Antelope-Gorger was just more interesting. None of this changes the information in your post. Thank you.:)

Back at you, nibble. I haven't increased my dairy, if anything, I consume less, but I like where your theory is going.:)

Funny thing about the turmeric... it's been a mainstay in my cooking for decades. We add it to stews, rice dishes, etc. Once it became "trendy", it was no longer just available in specialty grocery stores or available in tiny, almost-disposable containers. I can buy it in bulk now.

My leg pain isn't bilateral, but it changes in intensity along the same pathway on my right leg.

I have osteoarthritis. Both knees have been replaced. My metatarsophalangeal or MTP joints in my big toes have been fused together. No more wiggling my big toes or even standing tiptoe!

I'm also a borg now, with two titanium knee joints. Haven't had the toe fusion as yet. Interesting issues, these leg cramps -- only in the calves?

Another .Borg reporting in. No fused toes but a plate and 12 screws in my upper right arm from a numeral Fx. Maybe I am Cp30 and R2D2 love child, I am tall and chunky.