Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 3 weeks past op and suddenly stalled weight loss this week.

I'm freaked. I rarely get hungry so daily I eat 500 or less calories. Is it too early to stall and what should I do?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m just repeating advice that seemed to work for others. Up your calories AND Protein and recognize that a stall at 3 weeks post is pretty normal. Good luck

I'm 6 weeks post-op. After hearing over and over, that this is a temporary time for us, it's finally sunk in.

Our lost appetites, our inabilities to get enough Protein or Fluid, our rapid weight losses, or ---these "unfun" mysterious stalls.

Since three weeks and six weeks are in themselves short periods of time (in the big picture), a few days probably doesn't qualify as a significant time period to be classified as a "stall". Maybe three weeks or six weeks (total) might be a time period worthy of this classification, but not a few days.

Heck, I was amazed at the rapid loss right out of the gate... 1/2 to 1 pound per day... so when I didn't lose that magic 1/2 lb once or twice, I decided to stop weighing myself every day. Or every other day. I tried to go beyond two days, but I couldn't resist. I have to admit that standing on my digital scale and seeing the numbers fall... 35 pounds in my case was... well, it was great!:)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to spoil all this greatness by somehow convincing myself that I've already done something to mess things up. My body is just taking a little break from losing weight. At least I'm not gaining. How about you?

The three week stall is very common. I'll bet you're losing inches though ;-)

My nutritionist kind of scolded me because I was taking things really slow, and was getting maybe 400 calories on a good day. He told me that I should shoot for 800 for the first couple of months and that my general lethargy would subside once I got to at least 600.

I'm 3 weeks out today actually, I have noticed my weight loss slow quite a bit, I swear my digital scale "remembers" the weight from yesterday and if you're within a few ounces, it displays the remembered weight. I say this because if I grab some extra weight, the number will change, and then if I dump the same weight, the number usually changes +/- of the remembered weight. I'm a pretty OCD person, but I work heavily against my OCD, so now I write down the identical number and magically a day or two later I lose an entire pound.

I'm still under 600, but I started integrating pureed foods into the diet, which taste pretty good, so that has helped.

I suppose my answer doesn't help at all, but giving you what's happening to me since we're in kind of the same boat.

When I saw my doc at my 2 weeks post op check up he told me to expect a stall at week 3 as the body is still trying to balance out it's new reality. He was right. Weeks 3 & 4 I saw much of nothing as far as weight loss. The only thing that kept me sane is that I had been warned by the doctor to expect it. I have a scale that does % body fat and it was going down even though my weight wasn't. My clothes were feeling better. Heading into week 5 the scale is moving again and I've dropped down into Onederland.

Remember this is not a sprint but a marathon. While disheartening when we stall out, this process is about the next year+ not these couple of weeks.

I am at the beginning of week 5 and I haven't lost since the beginning of week 3. I was just able to get my calories to 800. I'm hoping this gets things going again. Good luck to you!!

I'm 6 weeks post-op. After hearing over and over, that this is a temporary time for us, it's finally sunk in.
Our lost appetites, our inabilities to get enough Protein or Fluid, our rapid weight losses, or ---these "unfun" mysterious stalls.
Since three weeks and six weeks are in themselves short periods of time (in the big picture), a few days probably doesn't qualify as a significant time period to be classified as a "stall". Maybe three weeks or six weeks (total) might be a time period worthy of this classification, but not a few days.
Heck, I was amazed at the rapid loss right out of the gate... 1/2 to 1 pound per day... so when I didn't lose that magic 1/2 lb once or twice, I decided to stop weighing myself every day. Or every other day. I tried to go beyond two days, but I couldn't resist. I have to admit that standing on my digital scale and seeing the numbers fall... 35 pounds in my case was... well, it was great![emoji4]
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to spoil all this greatness by somehow convincing myself that I've already done something to mess things up. My body is just taking a little break from losing weight. At least I'm not gaining. How about you?
Great perspective. Thanks for the pep talk

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app