Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Majorly high B12 levels?

I've had rally high B12 levels ever since my bypass in 2017. I take Celebrate 45 Multivitamin, which has 1,000mcg of B12 in it, so I'm essentially taking 3000mcg of B12 daily. But even when I stopped taking my Vitamins for 3 months prior to my 1 year checkup, my B12 levels were still through the roof (over 2000) Has anyone else had this issue and has it been an issue for you if you have? I've read highly elevated B12 levels can lead to depression (I already have major depression clinically diagnosed), dementia, and Alzheimer's Disease. My PCP is worried, but my bariatritions don't seem concerned. All I get is "that's fairly common with gastric bypass"

I have no energy at all. My depression is at a peak (and the Prozac isn't helping). And I'm just generally worried. My Grams died with dementia and my mom shows signs of it from time to time. Since it runs in families to begin with, I'm afraid of having something else that could make it progress early or at all.

I found some information that might address some of your concerns.

"High B12 levels in the blood are not necessarily a reason to panic, as they can stem from a number of different causes."

Two reasons for increased levels of Vitamin B12 include:

1. Your B12 test was carried out too soon after taking B12 supplements.< /span>

2. The body is failing to use the B12 correctly.

High levels can be followed up by a test called the MMA Urine Test and works by measuring the methylmalonic acid in urine, which determines how much B12 the cells actually receive. The test can be carried out comfortably and quickly ay home. (I don't know where to get this test.)

Another testing method is a blood sample test. It is known as the HoloTC test, which measures the B12 bound to its specific transport molecule, transcobalamin.

http://www.b12-vitamin.com/blood-levels/

There are some cases where high levels of B12 are of concern but don't get ahead of yourself. You seem to be under a lot of stress and that makes you worry even more. Ask your doctor, for your peace of mind, to order more testing. It's interesting that you stopped taking B12 (and your other vitamins) for three months prior to your 1-year check-up. Maybe your body isn't able to use B12:

"Usage issues occur when the body isn’t capable of properly utilizing vitamin B12, leaving it to accumulate in the blood. It is possible that a B12 deficiency can occur despite high B12 blood levels... if vitamin B12 isn’t correctly binding to transport molecules and thus is not able to be used by the body..."

I agree with Bariatric Evangelist - high levels in the blood do not necessarily indicate high usage - actually the opposite. I was always told by my bariatric team that you should take 5mg Folic acid a day to help you process and absorb the B12. Otherwise it’s not being utilised by the body. The tiredness is more likely to be because you cannot utilise the B12 in your blood, not that you’ve got too much of it. The reason the blood count would be so high would more likely be because of non-absorption to the tissues. Further investigation is needed.

There’s a lot going on here. I agree with the posters above. I would also talk with a dietitian and knowledgeable pharmacist. They would know more about medication/vitamin interactions and the brain.

I had bypass so our Vitamin requirements have us separate the daily vitamin and extra sublingual B Vitamins (all B’s together) and calcium citrate w/D chews. I would talk with professional med/vitamin/food people and explain your depression as a symptom. I would also bring this up with whoever prescribed your depression medication because they should also be updated on blood/brain barrier interactions with vitamins.

Many people on this forum and on YouTube have difficulty finding their balance emotionally after loosing significant weight. You are not alone, this is a known side affect. There is an emotional effect, but also a brain chemical effect. Please keep us updated on your progress. I love how you are curious and fighting for your health by asking good questions.

I've had rally high B12 levels ever since my bypass in 2017. I take Celebrate 45 Multivitamin, which has 1,000mcg of B12 in it, so I'm essentially taking 3000mcg of B12 daily. But even when I stopped taking my Vitamins for 3 months prior to my 1 year checkup, my B12 levels were still through the roof (over 2000) Has anyone else had this issue and has it been an issue for you if you have? I've read highly elevated B12 levels can lead to depression (I already have major depression clinically diagnosed), dementia, and Alzheimer's Disease. My PCP is worried, but my bariatritions don't seem concerned. All I get is "that's fairly common with gastric bypass"
I have no energy at all. My depression is at a peak (and the Prozac isn't helping). And I'm just generally worried. My Grams died with dementia and my mom shows signs of it from time to time. Since it runs in families to begin with, I'm afraid of having something else that could make it progress early or at all.

Manic Depression with me I switched to Pristiq for it. It helps me.

Sent from my SM-A125U using BariatricPal mobile app