Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve got questions

So my weight is stable and my next step is skin reduction.I don’t think insurance is going to cover it so I guess i’ll Be paying out of pocket.Also if any of you had any work done at transformations at UW Madison Wisconsin please tell me what to expect there.So here are my questions.

1.Can I get my whole body done in one surgery?

2.I heard the pain after surgery and healing time is a great deal more than a bypass.

3.Has anyone had it done in Mexico or outside the USA?

4.What are the most important things I need to know or ask about?

5.What does the cost generally run for full body?

6.How long did it take for you to return to work?

7.How do you feel now?

I’ve got one shot at this so I want to do it right.If there’s anything that I haven’t asked that I should know please tell me.Thank you in advance.

Edited by George OG

Are you sure that insurance will not cover it? My surgeon has said that as long as he deems it medically necessary, the insurance will (should) cover it. It is my plan to have my excess skin excised using my medical insurance once I reach my goal.

1 minute ago, macadamia said:

Are you sure that insurance will not cover it? My surgeon has said that as long as he deems it medically necessary, the insurance will (should) cover it. It is my plan to have my excess skin excised using my medical insurance once I reach my goal.

I heard it’s very hard to get insurance to cover it.The skin bothers my thighs.I will have to look into it though.

4 minutes ago, George OG said:

I heard it’s very hard to get insurance to cover it.The skin bothers my thighs.I will have to look into it though.

Schedule a follow-up with your surgeon and ask them about it. It never hurts to ask...

Re insurance—read your policy. Many exclude it completely, some have specific requirements like pannus/apron must hang below pubic bone or must remove 500g volume of breast.

1. How much is whole body? Arms? Thighs? Breasts? Tummy Tuck or circumferential lift? Probably not. I had more done at one time than most and I got arms breasts and tummy tuck. Most surgeons I spoke to said only two areas at a time. A few Mexican surgeons will do even more at a time but it’s limited by time spent under anesthesia safely. If they will do twilight sedation or have two surgeons working together that can help. But also think recovery. Can you get around and function while healing?

2. Yes. Much harder. Especially if you have any Lipo for contouring or any muscle repair or tightening.

3. I consulted In Mexico but decided against it. For me the worry about handing things if anything went wrong scared me. Many gave great experiences and pay a fraction of the cost.

4. Interview a number of surgeons. Look at lots of pictures of their work. You will know when you find the right one.

5. Depends on what you mean by full body. For the three areas I did the California docs I interviewed were all in the 22-26k range. Mexico was closer to 8-12k.

7. I recovered very quickly compared to most because I had absolutely NO lipo which is often the worst. I had muscle repair/tightening in my adominals though. I was functioning well by about two weeks out.

7. Amazing. Life changing. My plastics were 3.5 years ago.

Just with my own discussions with my surgeon, there is a big difference between skin removal and plastic surgery. I can get skin removed from my belly because of the problems it causes, but it won't look as nice as if I had plastic surgery. Plus my chest wouldn't be covered at all. I've been stable for about 2 years and the desire to get rid of this skin is getting stronger every month.

From any reading on the boards, if insurance covers some skin removal plastic surgeons can charge just that portion to insurance and bill you for the remainder, anesthesiologist would be a covered portion, muscle tightening not covered, etc.

@George OG Check out "SmilinsShrinking" on You Tube. She had a total body lift in Mexico with Dr. Sauceda and sings his praises. She even video taped an interview with him a few days after her surgery. She's very open with her before and after pics, so there is a ton of information about the kind of surgery you're looking for if you watch her videos. Her name is Joni.

I second the recommendation for Dr. Francisco Sauceda. His PS practice is in Monterrey, Mexico and gets GREAT reviews on RealSelf, YouTube, and other WLS sites.