Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Before and After Photos

2 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Cumin Beef Stew Over Rice with Garlic Butter Carrots

IMG_8967.thumb.jpg.220b71c06e13ed008120df74781dbbb2.jpg

IMG_8968.thumb.jpg.7af661aaf432c56b4f9e56688a988654.jpg

1542145759_ScreenShot01-13-20at01_55PM.PNG.12116f246128532d47bd88381a5b48c5.PNG

Was this souvide or IP? :D Inquiring minds and all...gosh it looks warm and comforty!!! :D

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Was this souvide or IP? :D Inquiring minds and all...gosh it looks warm and comforty!!! :D

IP :)

It is totally warm and comfy, and easy peasy! Childhood comfort food meal for me. (And it was over cauliflower rice for the bf, real rice for me)

Edited by sillykitty

6 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

IP :)

It is totally warm and comfy, and easy peasy! Childhood comfort food meal for me. (And it was over cauliflower rice for the bf, real rice for me)

Yeah I was totally replacing mine with caulirice...lol. ;) You know me so well!

Ok, so did you cube your meat or leave it potroast style. Did it go in frozen or thawed. :) How many minutes? Quick release or slow depressure? :D TIA!

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Yeah I was totally replacing mine with caulirice...lol. ;) You know me so well!

Ok, so did you cube your meat or leave it potroast style. Did it go in frozen or thawed. :) How many minutes? Quick release or slow depressure? :D TIA!

I've always in the past either used pre cubed stew meat, or bought a not super lean roast cut and cubed it myself (too lean like bottom round just goes stringy and dry). But this time "chuck roast steak" was on sale, so I bought it. They were cut thin, so I rolled them all up together out of the pack, and sliced across the grain (does that make sense? hard to describe) and dumped them in the IP. It went in thawed (but have done frozen before too). I did 45 minute on high pressure, and natural release (if it was frozen I would have done an hour). I made a lot for lots of leftover for the bf, so the IP was stuffed. For a smaller quantity I'm sure quick release would work too. Don't be shy about the cumin, I grind from seeds and use A LOT. I also love the onions as well, so I don't skimp. The chuck steak will be my go to from now on. It was soooo tender vs. previous cuts I used. I wish I had more freezer space cause I'd stock up, beef ain't cheap! Oh and after the first meal and it goes in the fridge, you can take the layer of fat off the top and make it even leaner/lighter.

(this works over mash or cauli mash as well)

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so the beauty of WF products are that they "extend" real stuff for zero calories...except I love their Italian Vinaigrette, Asian, and Sesame Ginger on their own. :) But I mix that in with Ken's Steakhouse Lite Blue cheese for a super ultra light version. :) Try it. I triple dog dare you!!! Add a little garlic and a splash of ACV also.

Too Late. I got rid of it yesterday, LOL. I hate keeping food that no one will eat.

11 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I've always in the past either used pre cubed stew meat, or bought a not super lean roast cut and cubed it myself (too lean like bottom round just goes stringy and dry). But this time "chuck roast steak" was on sale, so I bought it. They were cut thin, so I rolled them all up together out of the pack, and sliced across the grain (does that make sense? hard to describe) and dumped them in the IP. It went in thawed (but have done frozen before too). I did 45 minute on high pressure, and natural release (if it was frozen I would have done an hour). I made a lot for lots of leftover for the bf, so the IP was stuffed. For a smaller quantity I'm sure quick release would work too. Don't be shy about the cumin, I grind from seeds and use A LOT. I also love the onions as well, so I don't skimp. The chuck steak will be my go to from now on. It was soooo tender vs. previous cuts I used. I wish I had more freezer space cause I'd stock up, beef ain't cheap! Oh and after the first meal and it goes in the fridge, you can take the layer of fat off the top and make it even leaner/lighter.

Reading this made me hungry. Looks like Instant Pot beef stew is on the menu tonite....

16 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

TY! Can't wait to make this! I have a chuck arm in DS9 right now. :) I think it will be Sunday dinner!! It looks amazeballs. And will definitely do roasted smashed cauli with as another meal! I will toast and grind my cumin as well!

We did the maiden voyage of the IP this week. I just made one of my staples: French chicken that I used to make in either LeCreuset in the oven or in the slow cooker. You can omit the tarragon in the recipe and it forms a base you can spice however you want. Am using some with enchilada sauce tonight for Tuesday Tacos with the Fluffys. LOL. (The recipe will be up soon...still building the website.)

french-chicken-in-broth-instant-pot-bac_5695-vert.thumb.jpg.21d310c758a7094fa9dbe942edd4cffd.jpg

salad again for lunch. Used a store bought balsamic vinaigrette this time. Don’t mind my overcooked chicken. I was watching tv a little too long lol

6EB138A4-057C-47BC-8F39-DAA9C053ACF0.jpeg

FC65BAD6-C7F4-448D-A029-01E4181FEB8B.jpeg

Today's first salad of the day, I put it in the new salad bowl Mr. got me and it looks especially delicious, no? It's like an OOTD for salad, LOL.

Salad greens + vinaigrette + cucumber + carrots + grapes + 2.5 oz chicken.

Ate it all.

155 calories.

IMG_6811.thumb.jpg.2cf302cfcc130f3f2b3b97a3cc69d72a.jpg

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so the beauty of WF products are that they "extend" real stuff for zero calories...except I love their Italian Vinaigrette, Asian, and Sesame Ginger on their own. :) But I mix that in with Ken's Steakhouse Lite Blue cheese for a super ultra light version. :) Try it. I triple dog dare you!!! Add a little garlic and a splash of ACV also.

I do the same with the WF mayo. Mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with Hellmann's light in chicken salad and such.

9 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I do the same with the WF mayo. Mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with Hellmann's light in chicken salad and such.

Me2! And so weird but can't get the Chipotle mayo here in the store, but I get the Chipotle Ranch Dressing which I swear is almost the same thing and I mix it with my tuna salads and other mayo-type stuff. :)

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Today's first salad of the day, I put it in the new salad bowl Mr. got me and it looks especially delicious, no? It's like an OOTD for salad, LOL.

Salad greens + vinaigrette + cucumber + carrots + grapes + 2.5 oz chicken.

Ate it all.

155 calories.

IMG_6811.thumb.jpg.2cf302cfcc130f3f2b3b97a3cc69d72a.jpg

Beautiful!!! Love the OOTD for salad!

4 hours ago, sillykitty said:

What?? ... I am so disappointed, I had my plastic surgery at Hackensack! No idea Paterson NJ was a Peruvian food mecca! Now I'm back on the opposite coast :(

Funny, I never really thought about the different types of Peruvian I've been to both locally and when traveling. There are chicken places (I totally know what you're talking about :) ). There are seafood places. There are homestyle places. More and more I'm seeing Peruvian Japanese places, that seems to be trending (the term Nikkei is new though). I'm intrigued by Chifa style, that I've never seen, or bakeries, or Breakfast spots. I think my Peruvian standards got set too high by the first Peruvian I had on the regular (although my mom ate there recently and was said it wasn't as good as it used to be). I'm generally let down more often then not. Also, no place seems to have my favorite dish, Ajiaco de Pollo

As far as mixed drinks go, I'd say, go slow. I'm a rare? sleever that sometimes lightly dumps. If I do my trigger is very sweet liquids :(

Oh no! You were sooo close too! They call Patterson little Lima because of the large Peruvian population. Heres a pic of when I went for the first time. I was shocked by all the flags and how there was an area called Peru square lol. Hopefully you get a chance to go back. I went to a Peruvian restaurant that had over 60 dishes! At first that scared me but everything was really good and fresh. The food took forever to come out though. A good sign.

2AFF3066-5063-4DCB-BA65-C29265C949D8.thumb.JPG.2e4784a93d73f490f8847ea954ac3157.JPG

I've notice the increase in Nikkei in the U.S. too, not sure whats making it so popular all of a sudden.

The term Nikkei is fairly new but the fusion has been around for a very long time in Peru. There was just never a proper name for it until recent years. Peru has the largest population of Chinese people in Latin America and second largest population of Japanese (Brazil is #1 for Japanese) which created the two fusions. Kinda makes me think of the banh mi sandwich Vietnam has with the French influence. Sadly I've never even tried one yet! Its on my food bucket list lol

I went to a Chifa spot in NJ pre-op. This is what it looks like so you have an idea. I ordered the wonton Soup and my brother and bf ordered the lomo saltado with arroz chaufa.

Instead of the traditional Chinese wonton soup that has a light broth, veggies (depending the place), and wontons, the Chifa one is heavier. Chifas version has roasted pork, duck, chicken, and beef all marinated with peppers native to Peru, veggies, and a million overstuffed wontons..... but seriously, these things are always overstuffed. I honestly thought i would never see the bottom of my bowl! You cant really see them because they have sunken down to the bowl, thats how heavy they are. The flavor is similar to the traditional Chinese but does have a little twist because the broth is made with different cuts of meat.

The lomo is basically a steak stir fry with french fries, tomatoes, red onions, peppers, and cilantro. The Chaufa is fried rice with a twist in flavor. It was a great meal and made me seriously miss Peru.

IMG_0401.thumb.JPG.6806d5ad3eacb00b5d8c42895987d657.JPG

IMG_0402.thumb.JPG.737a5abd1e3e9ccc687128ed331c6ffd.JPG

I feel your pain with being let down. It seems like once you find a good place, there isnt consistency. Oh and i love Ajiaco! I think its hard to find because its more of home dish, nothing too fancy.

Ill be trying a drink this Thursday! Im curious to see what happens lol

Whooo, sorry for hogging space, that was a mouthful!

Edited by MarvelGirl25

2 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

Oh no! You were sooo close too! They call Patterson little Lima because of the large Peruvian population. Heres a pic of when I went for the first time. I was shocked by all the flags and how there was an area called Peru square lol. Hopefully you get a chance to go back. I went to a Peruvian restaurant that had over 60 dishes! At first that scared me but everything was really good and fresh. The food took forever to come out though. A good sign.

I've notice the increase in Nikkei in the U.S. too, not sure whats making it so popular all of a sudden.

The term Nikkei is fairly new but the fusion has been around for a very long time in Peru. There was just never a proper name for it until recent years. Peru has the largest population of Chinese people in Latin America and second largest population of Japanese (Brazil is #1 for Japanese) which created the two fusions. Kinda makes me think of the banh mi sandwich Vietnam has with the French influence. Sadly I've never even tried one yet! Its on my food bucket list lol

I went to a Chifa spot in NJ pre-op. This is what it looks like so you have an idea. I ordered the wonton Soup and my brother and bf ordered the lomo saltado with arroz chaufa.

Instead of the traditional Chinese wonton Soup that has a light broth, veggies (depending the place), and wontons, the Chifa one is heavier. Chifas version has roasted pork, duck, chicken, and beef all marinated with peppers native to Peru, veggies, and a million overstuffed wontons..... but seriously, these things are always overstuffed. I honestly thought i would never see the bottom of my bowl! You cant really see them because they have sunken down to the bowl, thats how heavy they are. The flavor is similar to the traditional Chinese but does have a little twist because the broth is made with different cuts of meat.

The lomo is basically a steak stir fry with french fries, tomatoes, red onions, peppers, and cilantro. The Chaufa is fried rice with a twist in flavor. It was a great meal and made me seriously miss Peru.

I feel your pain with being let down. It seems like once you find a good place, there isnt consistency. Oh and i love Ajiaco! I think its hard to find because its more of home dish, nothing too fancy.

Ill be trying a drink this Thursday! Im curious to see what happens lol

Whooo, sorry for hogging space, that was a mouthful!

I'm learning so much! I've definitely never seen a Chifa style Peruvian local to me. I'll have to Google and see if any are around. Chaufa is my second favorite dish, so I definitely want to find a Chifa place now. I assumed all the Asian influence to Peruvian food was Japanese. I didn't realize there was a significant Chinese population as well. I work for a Japanese company, and a large percent of our mgmt in Latin America are ethnically Japanese Peruvians (tri/bilingual and all). I'll definitely stop for a bite in Paterson if I get a chance.