Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled for Lap Band - Success vs Regret?

Thanks @Jendkopp. I appreciate you sharing your story with me.

I know the band is just a tool. It is NOT a miracle. You still need to eat right (healthy choices, portion control) and exercise.

I guess no weight loss surgery is fool proof. I heard good and bad things about all the options.

Kimberly

i was in no way implying there would be bad food choices. the problem with the band is that it is sometimes difficult to eat the "good" foods b/c the bands may not allow you to eat them - certain good for you foods just get stuck and you have to eliminate them. others want restriction, but if you can feel tightness, you have too much. i think the band is highly misunderstood, which leads to so many complications. i am a highly compliant patient and still have had some major complications. i hope it works for you. i just believe in putting both the good and bad out there so you can make an informed decision :)

I appreciate that @Jendkopp.

I had the Roux-En-Y, so I can relate to stuff feeling "stuck". Heck, I used to throw up so much in the beginning I had to keep bags in my car just in case.

I know what you mean about good and bad foods. Its weird how post-surgery (Roux-En-Y) I could eat some things with no problem and other things I had an issue with, even going 100% along with what my doctor told me.

I know I have to rethink that way I see food, and I know it's going to be a learning process. I think I'm up for the challenge. I did it before with the Roux-En-Y and I was successful in keeping a lot of weight off for a long time. I'm sure I can do it again. :-)

As others have said, the band is no longer the "miracle tool" it was once thought to be.

In recent years it has been understood that 1/10 of bandsters will experience SEVERE complications and need it removed eventually (usually as an emergency surgery, which is scary). I am not talking about mild things like a slight slip, or some tightness and reflux... I am referring to erosion into the stomach, permanent damage to the esophagus (in the form of gastroparesis), phrenic nerve damage, vagus nerve damage...

It all comes down to this one question:

Do you want to be constantly worrying about this 10+ years down the line? Yes, this surgery is "reversible" and it's the least risky option at the OUTSET... but unlike with other WLS's the complication risk INCREASES the longer you are banded.

Also, I don't know what your insurance situation is, but remember that for the health of your band, you will need to constantly be seeing your doctor/getting fills/barium swallow tests, etc. - this can add up very quickly - and that's with NO complications.

Edited by Lapbandster

It's been 6 years for me. I never reached my goal (20 lbs away) but I am a size 10-12 and happy so who gives a F. I never regretted it. Lap band is not a weight loss tool but a maintenance too. So, if you have been able to lose weight in the past but keeping it off is the problem then this is the surgery for you. No matter how much you want to binge after, how many slices of pizza you want to put away, you just CAN'T after 1.

45 minutes ago, MiniMi said:

Lap band is not a weight loss tool but a maintenance too. So, if you have been able to lose weight in the past but keeping it off is the problem then this is the surgery for you. No matter how much you want to binge after, how many slices of pizza you want to put away, you just CAN'T after 1.

Wow, I guess things have changed a whole lot. 6 years ago this was a surgery for weight LOSS and not weight MAINTENANCE.

In fact insurance wouldn't even approve it unless BMI was high enough, and most surgeons wouldn't install it unless the person had 60+ lbs to lose.

I have had my band for a year and a half now. It has been discouraging to come on to this website because I come here looking to share tips and advice with other bandsters and instead all you see are horror stories and people trying to dissuade others from getting the band. It's incredibly unhelpful and I wish that more of my fellow bandsters would come out of hiding to re-balance the conversation.

I won't sit here and tell you that my experience will be the same as your experience. I will tell you that my experience thus far has been overwhelmingly positive with the band. My weight has gone done, my energy levels have gone up, and I exercise vigorously at least four times a week. In fact, I play tennis tournaments and league matches with no issues. But most importantly, what procedure you chose to get is a decision best made between you and your doctor and not a bunch of strangers on a forum. My surgeon is still a big believer in the band. In fact, he has a band himself and has had his with no problems for many, many years.

I have had my band for a year and a half now. It has been discouraging to come on to this website because I come here looking to share tips and advice with other bandsters and instead all you see are horror stories and people trying to dissuade others from getting the band. It's incredibly unhelpful and I wish that more of my fellow bandsters would come out of hiding to re-balance the conversation.
I won't sit here and tell you that my experience will be the same as your experience. I will tell you that my experience thus far has been overwhelmingly positive with the band. My weight has gone done, my energy levels have gone up, and I exercise vigorously at least four times a week. In fact, I play tennis tournaments and league matches with no issues. But most importantly, what procedure you chose to get is a decision best made between you and your doctor and not a bunch of strangers on a forum. My surgeon is still a big believer in the band. In fact, he has a band himself and has had his with no problems for many, many years.

During my first year and a half, I had tremendous success and lost 90 pounds. But at one year and seven months, I had to have repositioning surgery due to a Band slip. I was never able to get properly adjusted after that, so 4 years later, my surgeon recommended removal and conversion to Sleeve. I think it's important for people to know both the good and the bad so that they can make an informed decision. And perhaps the fact that people who have had the Band longer have more negative stories to tell may give some people pause to truly consider this very important decision. Do I regret my Band? Absolutely not! But Did the Band last as long as I expected it to last? Definitely not!

Jendkopp, understood. But consider this from the point of view of someone whose only option was the band. We all chose our procedures knowing the risks. I understand that people want to and need to share their experiences, but it is not helpful to flood those of us who have the band with horror stories. Perhaps there should be a dedicated forum for procedure revisions. But I don’t participate in this forum to be told that my choice is wrong and that I will fail eventually. I’m not saying that you personally have done that, but it has been my experience here. I come here to speak with other banders about their day to day with the band. This is supposed to be a support group.

Jendkopp, understood. But consider this from the point of view of someone whose only option was the band. We all chose our procedures knowing the risks. I understand that people want to and need to share their experiences, but it is not helpful to flood those of us who have the band with horror stories. Perhaps there should be a dedicated forum for procedure revisions. But I don’t participate in this forum to be told that my choice is wrong and that I will fail eventually. I’m not saying that you personally have done that, but it has been my experience here. I come here to speak with other banders about their day to day with the band. This is supposed to be a support group.
I don't think anyone is saying that you'll fail eventually or that you made the wrong choice.
The OP asked a question and were all telling her our experience with the band.
She asked and we answered.

I understand what you're saying though--that this forum seems to be all band bashing... It sure feels that way sometimes! My doctor would always tell me to stop reading others stories on the internet and focus on ME and if I have any issues or concerns to speak to him directly. He also held support group meetings monthly for his patients.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had. And done and loved it lost 100 pounds unfortunately it moved at 2 years and dearth with it for w long time then has it removed and did the sleeve. Doctor said he could go back in and secure it again but I thought if it moved first time why wouldn’t it move again! Agsin this is what happened to me all are different. If you are having great success that is awesome and don’t let anyone take that from you. You will always hear bad and good on the surgeries. Many fail at the band and instead of taking responsibility for it they cut it down. Do what your doc tells you and you will be fine. Who knows exactly why mine moved? Doc said heavy weight lighting I do, maybe it was when I was really sick and coughing for days. No one will ever know. What I do know I enjoy that 100 lb weight loss and I’m on my way yet again. I won’t give up

This is just one thread. A few months ago there was someone here who went out of her way to comment on any post she could find about the band so she could trash the procedure. There was someone who asked for advice on what to eat after a food trapping who got flooded with negative commentary about the band!

I had. And done and loved it lost 100 pounds unfortunately it moved at 2 years and dearth with it for w long time then has it removed and did the sleeve. Doctor said he could go back in and secure it again but I thought if it moved first time why wouldn’t it move again! Agsin this is what happened to me all are different. If you are having great success that is awesome and don’t let anyone take that from you. You will always hear bad and good on the surgeries. Many fail at the band and instead of taking responsibility for it they cut it down. Do what your doc tells you and you will be fine. Who knows exactly why mine moved? Doc said heavy weight lighting I do, maybe it was when I was really sick and coughing for days. No one will ever know. What I do know I enjoy that 100 lb weight loss and I’m on my way yet again. I won’t give up
This is a very good point!

Every story is different and people come here having lap band meltdowns without giving the whole picture.

Were they banded properly? Did they have good follow up care? Did they follow their doctors instructions? Did they have the older problematic band put it?

There are many factors that can cause lap band complications, so please just realize that it's best to take these posts with a grain of salt and realize that their situation is not necessarily "proof" that "you made a mistake"

This is just one thread. A few months ago there was someone here who went out of her way to comment on any post she could find about the band so she could trash the procedure. There was someone who asked for advice on what to eat after a food trapping who got flooded with negative commentary about the band!
Yikes that is awful.
I remember a few years ago there was a lady spamming every post with awfulness. It stressed me out terribly, to be honest

By the way, you mentioned your surgeon has the band... I assume you used Dr. Fielding?

I hear amazing stories about him and his practice. I think his patients success rates are exponentially higher than average because he has such intimate firsthand knowledge of the band.

Even if your surgeon isn't Dr fielding, any surgeon who's had this procedure understands it better and therefore his patients have better outcomes.

In any event, don't worry at all!

Maybe reach out to some of the "old timers" on here and see if you guys can make a whatsapp group together so you can keep in touch without the negativity.