Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For you guy's that weighed around 350 lbs. before surgery

Hi everyone!

I am a 59 year old male, 5'9" and weigh 350 pounds, and carry most of my weight in my midsection. I'm going to have the sleeve surgery sometime in September.

The doctor said that I will probably get down to 220 pounds.

If any of you guys come close to my age, height, build and weight, could you please tell if you have very much loose skin, this is the only thing that has me really worried.

Thanks very much.

Edited by The Preacher

I was 325 and ,,,, am now,,, 170 for 4 years,,, your gonna have loose skin,,, get over it,,, my quality of life is AMAZING I have so much energy,,, and do so many things,,, its the best thing I ever done,,, dont 2nd guess your decision,,,,, ya gotta think of food as fuel,,,, I have a whole difft,, perspective of food,,,,

surgery is the only thing ,,, but ya gotta / should wait,,, at least 2 years,,, as your body,,, goes thru a lot of changes,,,

7 minutes ago, Lucky Dog said:

I was 325 and ,,,, am now,,, 170 for 4 years,,, your gonna have loose skin,,, get over it,,, my quality of life is AMAZING I have so much energy,,, and do so many things,,, its the best thing I ever done,,, dont 2nd guess your decision,,,,, ya gotta think of food as fuel,,,, I have a whole difft,, perspective of food, ,,,

Congratulations on your weight loss.

About the only thing I wear is blue jeans and a dress shirt, does this type of clothing conceal the loose skin very well, or will I have to give up the jeans?

the jeans do a great job. You really only know what a wreck you are when naked. :)

Edited by allwet

I wouldnt call it a wreck,,,, ill take sagging skin over the belly I had,,, also,,, compression shirts do a really good job,,, I use when I do yoga,,, Ive heard,,, good skin care helps,,, steamrooms,,, help hydrate,, good luck,,,

6 hours ago, Lucky Dog said:

I wouldnt call it a wreck,,,, ill take sagging skin over the belly I had,,, also,,, compression shirts do a really good job,,, I use when I do yoga,,, Ive heard,,, good skin care helps,,, steamrooms,,, help hydrate,, good luck,,,

Thanks, I've been looking at compression shirts on Amazon, looks like they would be a big help.

Edited by The Preacher

On 7/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, The Preacher said:

Hi everyone!

I am a 59 year old male, 5'9" and weigh 350 pounds, and carry most of my weight in my midsection. I'm going to have the sleeve surgery sometime in September.

The doctor said that I will probably get down to 220 pounds.

If any of you guys come close to my age, height, build and weight, could you please tell if you have very much loose skin, this is the only thing that has me really worried.

Thanks very much.

I'm the same height, my overall heaviest was 370 back in 2010, But I'm a bit younger, I'll be 40 in March.

I was banded in 2011, lost 70ish then struggled to lose anything else and I ended up in the gain / lose cycle, stuck around 300-310. I was revised to the bypass March 21st of this year and I'm down another 70 lbs or so.

I'm down to 240ish right now. The amount of extra skin isn't too bad, I wear khaki's and a polo to work daily and the extra stomach skin is really well hidden. I went from a tight size 50 pant, worn below my gut line to a comfortably loose 40 worn at my actual waist line. Compression gear works great, I use it for the gym so I can run without too much jiggling and bouncing. I don't bother to wear it all day long since most of the extra skin is easy to hide. With Compression gear, don't spend too much on stuff at first, I made that mistake and now I've got "compression" gear that's too big to compress anything. You want to buy compression clothes 1 size smaller than your current size.

4 hours ago, Matt Z said:

I'm the same height, my overall heaviest was 370 back in 2010, But I'm a bit younger, I'll be 40 in March.

I was banded in 2011, lost 70ish then struggled to lose anything else and I ended up in the gain / lose cycle, stuck around 300-310. I was revised to the bypass March 21st of this year and I'm down another 70 lbs or so.

I'm down to 240ish right now. The amount of extra skin isn't too bad, I wear khaki's and a polo to work daily and the extra stomach skin is really well hidden. I went from a tight size 50 pant, worn below my gut line to a comfortably loose 40 worn at my actual waist line. Compression gear works great, I use it for the gym so I can run without too much jiggling and bouncing. I don't bother to wear it all day long since most of the extra skin is easy to hide. With Compression gear, don't spend too much on stuff at first, I made that mistake and now I've got "compression" gear that's too big to compress anything. You want to buy compression clothes 1 size smaller than your current size.

Thanks for the info.

Not looking forward to the loose skin but I'm ok with it. I hate my big ass gut right now. A flat gut with some hanging skin but a much healthier life sounds like a pretty good trade off.

I’m 5’5 heaviest weight was 380.I too had all my weight in my midsection.I’m 2 1/2 years post op and I weigh 165-167.I don’t like myself naked,but even in suits you don’t see the skin.On the bright side I can easily see my manhood now.That is a huge feel good moment 😂

i am 51 this September. I had my Surgery April 2017 and I was at my heaviest August 2016 at 395. I am at 252 and I am 5'11. I ride my bike between 8-16 miles everyday and I lift weights about 4 times a week. I am finally back up to to lifting heavy again which make weight loss slow down. The think what I notice the most is the weight does slow down after a year but your body keeps changing . I have noticed more as i am exercising more. The key to remember is we do this for the quality of life. I am able to do things again that had become so hard a few years ago. I do have loose skin mainly under my arms and my stomach hangs a little but this is changing also. As others say this takes time we have to let our bodies adjust to the new weight. Do not worry about the skin. Enjoy all the amazing things you can do.

Edited by Webapprentice

It so great to hear a guys perspective and experience with surgery. Although I appreciate all the women and their responses on the main forums I think hearing a guys outcome gives a better idea of what's to come.

Congrats and Thanx!!!

Yes, I have loose skin.

No, it’s not a reason not to get the surgery.