Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

According to the internet:

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

So several individuals experience severe nausea after bariatric surgery. Nipping H. pylori prior to surgery, will relieve a major problem after surgery. It is a common infection. About fifty percent of the world's population has it. It is also difficult to kill. It is somewhat antibiotic resistant. I may take a couple rounds to kill it off using various cocktails of antibiotics.

1 hour ago, theresahyatt19 said:

be pushed back because they need to get a neg read before scheduling surgey.

Bummer that it was a false positive, but at least they are being thorough about your health and not taking any chances before you get your surgery. Things will come together eventually.

Bummer that it was a false positive, but at least they are being thorough about your health and not taking any chances before you get your surgery. Things will come together eventually.

I really hope so.. I just finished the mess and know have a few works before I can take a breath test to see if I will have a Neg result. Fingers will be crossed until then. Thank you for reply back to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

If your doctor prescribed medication, your test was positive for H. Pylori.

It's very important that you get this infection cleared up before surgery because it can cause ulcers at the incision ....which can cause life threatening leaks.

Why are you calling it "a false positive"? Is there any reason to believe your test was inaccurate?

It is a serious enough issue that if any of my tests were coming back positive for H. Pylori...I would take the meds and continue to test until results came back consistently negative.

Even if it would delay my surgery to do so.

You really don't want H. Pylori after your surgery. Leaks can be life threatening and you don't want to be a feeding tube for months.

Out of curiosity, why did they decide to test you twice if the first test was negative?

If I were you, I would insist on an endoscopic biopsy to be tested for H. Pylori. (In fact, I did this, because it is the most accurate way to detect it definitively)

Edited by Creekimp13

H. pylori is the last thing you need after surgery. If there is even a hint of it now, kill it and be glad that you have done one more thing to help ensure a positive outcome post-op. Many of us had hoops to jump through to get our surgeries done but, in the end, they were designed to help prevent complications afterwards. I had to have a sleep study and start using a CPAP, had a stress test and heart cath, and had an EGD with biopsies. My surgeon likes to be proactive in preventing whatever complications he can. I'm very grateful for that stance!!

It is a serious enough issue that if any of my tests were coming back positive for H. Pylori...I would take the meds and continue to test until results came back consistently negative.
Even if it would delay my surgery to do so.
You really don't want H. Pylori after your surgery. Leaks can be life threatening and you don't want to be a feeding tube for months.
Out of curiosity, why did they decide to test you twice if the first test was negative?
If I were you, I would insist on an endoscopic biopsy to be tested for H. Pylori. (In fact, I did this, because it is the most accurate way to detect it definitively)
When they do your endoscopy they test u twice. On the same strip.

H. pylori is the last thing you need after surgery. If there is even a hint of it now, kill it and be glad that you have done one more thing to help ensure a positive outcome post-op. Many of us had hoops to jump through to get our surgeries done but, in the end, they were designed to help prevent complications afterwards. I had to have a sleep study and start using a CPAP, had a stress test and heart cath, and had an EGD with biopsies. My surgeon likes to be proactive in preventing whatever complications he can. I'm very grateful for that stance!!
U did take all my meds just wanting a few more weeks until I can test again. Hopi g for a neg result. The antibiotic were brutal..lol

I have heard that the treatment for H. pylori sucks. So that's one thing down, now you're ready to rock this surgery!