Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok guys can we talk Vitamins please like be honest with me how annoying is the schedule after surgery I’m preop. Surgery is in 6 weeks but so far I’ve got it like this morning meds with a dose of Calcium then 2 hours later a dose of calcium then 2 hours later my multi then my nap then wake up take calcium then wait until evening meds to take final dose. I take petites so that’s why there are 4 of the calcium. Also throughout all of this getting in my meals while separating my Water and trying to get in my 64 ounces guys hoooooow am I gonna do this with a bypass tummy help take me off the ledge plz

I'm using PatchMD Patches. Just put them on in the morning... and that's it. Nothing to take orally. Yes they are controversial and people have some very strong opinions about them due to lack of research etc. But I've been using them for 5 months or so now and my blood levels are all just fine (except Vitamin D, but that's super common where I live) The only thing I still take by mouth are a once a week 50,000 IU Vitamin D, a daily 10,000 IU vitamin D, an acid reducer (that I really don't actually need to take anymore, but the doc says it's not hurting by me still taking it) and I take Biotin and Fiber chewables daily as well. But that's it, everything else is provided by the patches. Blood work to prove that the patches (for me).

I am almost two weeks out from surgery so I'm still getting my Vitamin schedule down. What I do is take my acid reducer, Biotin, and Vitamin D first thing in the morning (all the pills are really small and give me no problem), first multi (I take Centrum Chewable) with Breakfast, first 2 calcium chews at 10, another 2 Calcium chews at 2, and my other multi with dinner. I use Nascobal as my Vitamin B so I just snort it once a week.

it's different with each doc, but with my program they ease you back into the Vitamins. They know coming home post op is a lot, so at least with us they do not make you start all your vitamins right away, you can slowly ease into it. I was taking my Multi's both by day three, and eased into the Calcium slowly (I do three calcium) it seems like SO MUCH post op especially included with the acid reducer, pain meds, stool softeners and other maintenance drugs you might have. I know for me, I take thyroid medication in the morning so I have to space it out from food, acid reducer and calcium, and calcium has to be spaced from your Multi if it has Iron. But it is going to be okay. By the time I went in for my two week post-op appt I had my Multi's and was getting all three calcium most of the time. Then I added the D3 and the B12. I am still working on getting everything in (almost a month post op) so it isn't easy but it isn't as hard as it seems at first. I set alarms on my phone to remind me to eat and take my vitamins and I helps!

I take my thyroid pill first time in the morning and start on my Water, Then I take some Vitamin with every eating encounter. Multi and D with Breakfast, Calcium and stool softener with am snack, Calcium and acid reducer with lunch, Multi (sometimes sec stool softener) with afternoon snack, Calcium and B with dinner

For me the most annoying part is just chewing those vitamins, the calcium seem like giant tums and I have a hard time choking them down three times a day, I just ordered some soft chews to mix in to help me get my calcium in. It is annoying but it is necessary and eventually it is going to be second nature to us both!

1. Spectro (Solaray) Multivitamin, 250 capsules, 6 capsules daily. Full spectrum with whole food base, herbs, antioxidants, enzymes. I specifically needed a Vitamin that included these micronutrients: zinc, copper, and selenium. This vitamin also includes (how did I ever exist without them?:P): alfalfa juice; carrot and yam extract; barley grass; aloe vera gel concentrate; parsley leaf; ox bile extract; royal jelly; and bee pollen!

2. Magnesium Citrate (Solaray), 90vegcaps, 400mg, take 3 capsules daily. Also includes other vital(!) ingredients: watercress leaf, dandelion root, alfalfa leaf, and parsley leaf.

Oh, no! What should I do!? I hope I'm not overdosing on alfalfa and parsley leaf!:51_scream::51_scream::51_scream:

3. Calcium Citrate (Solaray), 4 chewable wafers, orange flavor, 1000mg. Take 4 per day. Also includes: orange juice powder (Vit C).

4. a: Nature's Way, Iron 18mg, Iron gluconate (Heme iron)

4. b: Vitamin Code raw iron, 22mg. (non-Heme iron) Also includes: apple; beet root; broccoli flower and stalk; carrot root; spinach leaf; tomato; strawberry; tart cherry; blueberry; green bell pepper; Brussels sprout leaf; blackberry; ginger root; garlic bulb; green onion bulb; raspberry; parsley leaf; cauliflower flower and stem; red cabbage leaf; kale leaf; cucumber; celery stalk; asparagus flower and stem. Oh, no! More parsley leaf! :51_scream:

5. B12 sublingual (Superior Source), instant dissolve tablets, 5,000mg B12 as methylcobalamin. 60tabs.

6. Vit D-2 ergocalciferol, (doctor's prescription). 50,000U (1.25mg) capsules, 2x/week.

*I alternate the two types of iron (above); Calcium and iron are not taken together.

I'm having trouble getting past "Ox Bile"! That's quite the assortment.

I'm just a couple days post op, mixing my Bariatric multis into my breakfast and I haven't really gotten on board with the Calcium yet. Will be way easier as my tummy heals.

@PopsFury Ox bile mixed with all that parsley leaf makes me SuperBypass Woman!! I am faster than a speeding ___________________, more powerful than a ______________, able to leap tall Protein Shakes in a single bound.

Help me fill in the blanks!

@PopsFury My surgeon said that I didn't need to worry about taking Calcium until at least one month out. The wafers I take aren't horrible. I don't like orange as a flavor, though. That's really my only complaint. (Then again, I actually like the taste of Pepto Bismal, so maybe my suggestion is not to be trusted.):)

What about Gummy Calcium? I've heard some doctors don't believe in it, others do. What's the consensus here?

(Faster than a speeding Meme, More powerful than a celebrity tweet)

@PopsFury. My daughter is a doctor of pharmacy (PharmD). A big fat NO! to any Vitamin or mineral in Gummy form. Bioavailability is significantly reduced.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Well I found out when my Vitamin A runs out this month I don't have to take any more at least until after surgery. They had given me script for,3 months of D but only 2 of Vitamin A. Why is this? IDK

6 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@PopsFury. My daughter is a doctor of pharmacy (PharmD). A big fat NO! to any Vitamin or mineral in Gummy form. Bioavailability is significantly reduced.

That does make sense to me. I've never been a fan of gummies anyway, but it's hard while I can't take actual pills! They taste far nastier than I expected ground up. But this, like all things, is temporary.