Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum. How long from the consultation to surgery did it take for you all?

I started the process last year with the sleep study (I need cpap but cannot use it because it makes me feel like I can’t break or suffocated), psych visit (she told me she was going to recommend me for surgery then doc office said I need to have 4 more visits per pych.) after this I was told my insurance doesn’t cover. I lost all hope and didn’t make another appt. now I have new insurance that covers at 100%. Now curious how long it may take from here.

Due to my insurance it was a minimum 6 months of a “medically supervised diet.” I was required to go to the office monthly, meet with nutritionist, have psych evaluation, do blood work, and attend a support group.

Howver with some scheduling issues between me and my office, it took me 10 months from start to surgery date. I am guessing that’s pretty long for most.

Hello,

I am also new to this forum! I started the process in may (not thinking I would actually get approved), I attended a weight loss seminar may 31st. We had about 4 papers to fill out and return them wait to be called by the patient coordinator supervisor. I was contacted within hours of turning the paperwork in. I was told that I was approved and I needed to pick a surgeon. After picking a surgeon the ball rolled pretty quick. I was a great candidate for gastric sleeve and could go forward with the process. I then was assigned a bariatric coordinator that got everything lined up for me. I had to do one nutrition appointment, get a EKG, lab work, upper gi study and a psychological evaluation . Everything was quick except the evacuation for some reason it took 3 weeks to get scheduled. I also had to reach out to them. I am now done with everything and waiting for my insurance company to approve me. I have my preop scheduled for 7/26 with an surgery date of 8/6. I’m guessing I will know Thursday if I’m going forward with my surgery date or not. Hopefully everything works out!

I went to the seminar in December and had my first appointment with the surgeon on December 27. My surgery was scheduled at my first appointment. It only took me four months to get everything done.

Four months from the seminar?

I started in Jan. 2017 with a weight loss clinic, after a year with them I decided to have WLS and met with my surgeon on May 8. He and my PCP and my weight loss doc all agreed with my choosing bypass surgery. I got my pre-ops all done in June and got approval from my insurance 2 weeks ago. I have surgery scheduled for tomorrow! SO for me its been less than 2 months from the decision to have WLS to getting it done but thats because I had already been working on my weight loss with a doctor for a year.

Be persistant and stand up for yourself, the best is yet to come.

My first appointment was 2/2/18, and I was approved by insurance before the end of May. I am a teacher and wanted to wait until summer and after summer school so my surgery is a week from today. Not all insurances require the six months of supervised diet!

Hello I’m somewhat new, I have seen a nutritionist, now I have to do group nutrition I have to go to I think 4. I’ve seen psychology twice, I’m also scheduled for all the other things I have to do before surgery. I may not get my surgery date until the first of the year. Are there any others on here that is scheduled around that time

Welcome eaglesoar, hope you'll enjoy being with us. The farthest out I had heard until you was November 2018, but don't worry, a lot of new people are starting in and maybe having surgery this winter, depending on insurances. But please hang aound, you'll learn a lot from these,forums and if you have any questions, please ask. If I myself don't have the answer someone else will. Most of us remember how it was when we were brand-new. Although your doctor will be your ultimate go-to, we have walked the walk and will give you practical advice. I will be having my surgery in September but will hang around afterwards, so many have helped me and I DO like to help others. So pull up a virtual chair and get comfy!😛☕

I went to seminar in March, my 1st Apt with my surgeon was in May I just finished with my last apt for approval and now I'm waiting on my date should be in August what a great birthday gift!

So, counting from my first "real" visit (not the initial information session), I began this process in early January of this year. My insurance requires only three months of a supervised diet, but the program I'm in is a six-month process regardless of how you're paying. Fine. So I've been going along, hitting all my milestones on time, dropping the weight they asked for. I got slowed down a bit over the summer by everyone taking turns going on vacation, but finally, last week, I went in to see the surgeon again. He sees my progress, sees that I've fulfilled all the program requirements, and he says he's going to submit me for approval to my insurance company. Mind, I'm currently in month seven of a six-month process.

Great, doc, what are we looking in terms of timeline? When do you think this might happen?

And the answer was November.

Some factors worth noting: I live in a very rural state, and this is the only bariatric clinic supporting essentially the entire northern half. This clinic has exactly two lead surgeons. So I'm not really surprised that it's going to take a while... but it was a bit frustrating to think I was getting close, only to find that I'm still months away. And it's frustrating to hear that people who started after me are going to get to go soon, while I'm still waiting around. And fine, that'll give me more time to work, etc. But man, I'll be on month eleven of six before I actually get the surgery done.

Anyway, yes, let's estimate eleven months for me.

Edited by NobodyYouKnow

Well I do have you beat, 3 years but this is try#3 To secure it. Long story why 3 were necessary but I have a great.talented smart surgeon only 50 miles away in our State Capital, I would have better off to have gone with him in the first place. Hindsight is 20/20 but I do see clearly now and September 5th will be my REBIRTHDAY and all my tears will be dried up, my sorrows turned into the bright sunlight of a new day and I will use my new. tool to benefit a wonderful deserving person--- ME! And a new life starts that day for forever.

Hello shannaH,

My preop journey will be slightly different from yours as I am self pay. And it is definitely a shorter process. I had my consult with my potential surgeon, and then I was scheduled for a psych appointment which could have been done over the phone so that's what I did. After that, we scheduled my surgery for 2 months after which is August 1st 2018 in Texas. I was of course orders to get bloodwork and an ekg completed. So again my process and requirements are a lot less as opposed to yours. So many health problems have occurred because of my weight and the biggest problem is infertility. Weight does a lot to your body, it damages your body on the inside so bad. So I decided to be selfpay and not wait the 8 months and go through the hurdles of the insurance company that will try everything to not pay for this medically necessary surgery.

My sister was approved for surgery after going through the 6 month weight loss program and all the tests and cardiac test, and psych. One day before her scheduled surgery, the insurance company called and sadi she was denied coverage. She had taken out her FMLA leave already and so had her husband. That was the worst experience. So I chose to not go through that, even when youre "approved" that can attempt to deny you over something. I m sorry I couldn't give you more information about the pre op with insurance, I just thought I would share my experience and choice to be self pay.

Goodluck