Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need input. My nut gave me a schedule to eat something every hour from 8am til 9pm. Protein, Water or 1oz of puree food alternating. I absolutely cannot get it down. It takes me 1 hour almost to get something down and if I go any faster it comes back up. Funny thing now I absolutely hate water that comes back up no matter what I do. I'd just like to hear from others. Oh and one more thing I am super tired. I push myself to walk around the block. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are in the early post-op recovery stages. We all struggled to get in fluids at this early stage, relax. Take naps, that helps with healing and inflammation, you are recovering, it was major surgery. The walking helps with recovery - getting the digestive system working again, gettig rid of air and anesthetic from your system, etc.

Try warm Bone Broth, warm tea, try sugar-free popsicles, Vitamin Water, Protein water - your Nut is correct: sip, sip, sip constantly - dehydration can cause you to be tired and light-headed. You will most likely not meet protein goals these first few weeks, fluids are more important and then work on Increasing protein goals. The warm liquids first help relax your esophagus and stomach, one sip, wait, next sip, wait, etc. Easy does it will keep it from backing up on you so much, don't lie down immediately after, walk a little first. Hang in there, it improves fast after this 6 weeks.

You are in the early post-op recovery stages. We all struggled to get in fluids at this early stage, relax. Take naps, that helps with healing and inflammation, you are recovering, it was major surgery. The walking helps with recovery - getting the digestive system working again, gettig rid of air and anesthetic from your system, etc.
Try warm bone broth, warm tea, try sugar-free popsicles, Vitamin Water, Protein Water - your Nut is correct: sip, sip, sip constantly - dehydration can cause you to be tired and light-headed. You will most likely not meet Protein goals these first few weeks, fluids are more important and then work on Increasing protein goals. The warm liquids first help relax your esophagus and stomach, one sip, wait, next sip, wait, etc. Easy does it will keep it from backing up on you so much, don't lie down immediately after, walk a little first. Hang in there, it improves fast after this 6 weeks.
Thank you so much. Just very concerned.

I am post-op day 4. My diet has been clear liquid only for first 4 days, then full-liquid only for the next 10 days! I am no where near pureed food yet. Drinking anything at first was unpleasant, but I found if I walked and sipped it felt better. i can walk and sip about a quarter of a liter in about 15 minutes. I have had to adjust my sip size too, the smaller the better. It seems to get a little better each day.

I am 5 days post-op. Clear liquid diet. I feel great! My nut advised: 2 oz. Ensure Clear and 1 oz clear 100% juice(apple, white grape, ect) every 2 hours; 30 min after drink Water and 1 oz of predigested Protein 20; also, I can substitute 1 oz of Ensure with clear chicken broth. I walk every hour at least 250 steps. I see my surgeon tomorrow.

I am 5 days post-op. Clear liquid diet. I feel great! My nut advised: 2 oz. Ensure Clear and 1 oz clear 100% juice(apple, white grape, ect) every 2 hours; 30 min after drink Water and 1 oz of predigested Protein 20; also, I can substitute 1 oz of Ensure with clear chicken broth. I walk every hour at least 250 steps. I see my surgeon tomorrow.
Great!! Hopefully I will get there

Thanks for all the input. I just didn't feel something was right called my surgeon he directed me to go straight to ER. So glad I did my sugar was 55 my potassium was super low and was totally dehydrated and CT scan found I have a blockage that's the reason I couldn't keep anything down. Headed back to the OR shortly. Certainly glad I went in.

Try warm Bone Broth, warm tea, try sugar-free popsicles, Vitamin Water, Protein water - your Nut is correct: sip, sip, sip constantly - dehydration can cause you to be tired and light-headed. You will most likely not meet protein goals these first few weeks, fluids are more important and then work on Increasing protein goals. The warm liquids first help relax your esophagus and stomach, one sip, wait, next sip, wait, etc. Easy does it will keep it from backing up on you so much, don't lie down immediately after, walk a little first. Hang in there, it improves fast after this 6 weeks.
Thanks for all the input. I just didn't feel something was right called my surgeon he directed me to go straight to ER. So glad I did my sugar was 55 my potassium was super low and was totally dehydrated and CT scan found I have a blockage that's the reason I couldn't keep anything down. Headed back to the OR shortly. Certainly glad I went in.

Glad you went to ER! Good luck with the surgery to fix it - feel better!

1 hour ago, swimmom2008 said:

Best of luck to you! I hope your surgery and getting some fluids will have you back up and feeling better very soon!

19 hours ago, swimmom2008 said:

Oh my goodness! Always follow your instincts, I am glad you went to the ER. I wish you a safe surgery and better recovery.

Go easy on yourself. Your still in the post op phase. You need to understand that you just have to sip small amounts. Your not trying to power chug Water or other liquids.

When I was sleeved in 2010 I could even tolerate water. I had to suck on crushed ice for the first few days.

I also used a small plastic medicine cup (like they give your meds in hospital) to take small sip every few mins. I did that for about 2 weeks.

Also I found that warm liquids went down better then ice cold. flavored water worked better then plan for me.

If your still having issues with liquids coming back up. Sit in an up right position when drinking or eating. Until the swelling is down. Hope this helps.

Go easy on yourself. Your still in the post op phase. You need to understand that you just have to sip small amounts. Your not trying to power chug Water or other liquids.
When I was sleeved in 2010 I could even tolerate Water. I had to suck on crushed ice for the first few days.
I also used a small plastic medicine cup (like they give your meds in hospital) to take small sip every few mins. I did that for about 2 weeks.
Also I found that warm liquids went down better then ice cold. flavored water worked better then plan for me.
If your still having issues with liquids coming back up. Sit in an up right position when drinking or eating. Until the swelling is down. Hope this helps.
Had nothing to do with sipping. I had a blockage. No amount of sipping would have helped. Thanks

How are you feeling now after additional surgery?

Glad you found out what was wrong. Speedy recovery and feel better. I am glad you found out what was wrong.