Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else experienced lower back pain? I'm a few days from 3 weeks post op and have had some lower back pain all night. No temp...everything else seems okay. At my last appt they said I should be in the clear for infections or leaks, but I'm still pretty nervous!! Any idea when I can feel "okay"? I have heard differing opinions...3 weeks, 1 month, 90 days, & never. Ugh. Why is this causing so much mental stress. 😞

The low back pain could be because of weak abdominals and your back compensating to support you. This happened to me and went away rather quickly. Just gotta keep moving.

I had back pain for a few months I’m going to say.. although I still do.., I have a lower back disc and kidney stones from prior to surgery.... but the pain was awful for like 6-8 weeks... hang in there and take Tylenol

During my barium swallow I found out that I have moderate scoliosis, so... if your doc has the scan on hand, go ahead and ask them if that's something you should check out (they won't diagnose you, but can at least tell you if it's something you should see a doc about).

Hmmn I know I have scoliosis, lordosis, and kyphosis, my back is rather a mess and then I blessed it with obesity and abdominal fat. Last time I consulted someone I was told you do need spinal fusion but not where you are complaining of pain at. Then he uttered that warm loving many of us plump princes and princesses have heard. "Come back and see me when you've taken off some weight!" Well BoZo McSurgeon , guess what, I'm on my way to losing weight and when I do, if you still are in practice,you and me will be having a little chat! Take that ,Mr High-and-Mighty Spinal Surgeon !

I've had lower back pain for the last ~15 years or so. I experienced a lot of back pain at the hospital and a little at home post recovery. My theory is that my fear of moving my torso (feeling the abdominal pain) kept my back in one position. I normally move quite a bit and frankly am surprised I don't roll off the bed by the morning - this is because if I sit too long my back hurts.

I had an MRI last summer after a series of incidents left me unable to walk for about a week. I have L4/L5 and L5/S1 bulges, and spinal stenosis for pretty much the entire back. I also have some spinal compression as well as disc degeneration.

At the hospital, they gave me muscle relaxants in the IV, and the dilaudid and later Hycet controlled most of the pain. Because of my previous lap band, I'm used to only using tylenol and hoping it will work. I'm almost 2 weeks post op, and most of my torso pain had subsided, so my back pain is considerably lower. I do think that weight redistribution will affect gait/posture and I do expect to have some changed pain centers 50 pounds from now.

What I can recommend, provided your surgeon is okay with it, is a TENS device. I am a very skeptical person, but I dropped $25 on one (on a web site named for a tropical forest) one particular night when nothing helped. I will say the TENS device works quite well. I recommended it to my sister-in-law who is dealing with a tremendous number of issues (Basically all of her woman parts + bladder "fell" in her abdomen and they had to use several meshes to put the parts back) and she said it was a life saver. FWIW, I got interested in the TENS device when I saw a quell commercial saying it was FDA approved. No, I didn't drop nearly that much on a quell though :)

From one back pain patient to another - I pray you get some relief, I would not wish back pain on anyone!