Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is so hard

It's been 5 days since my surgery. Second day sleeping at home. It is now 1:28am, last night it was 4:30am and I still had no sleep. I'm in so much pain! What have I done to myself? I'm on a strict diet, only Water and Gatorade. I'm so mad!! It hurts to drink. Why are they forcing me to drink. I'm starving, my stomach is asking for food. I can't eat normal anymore. What have I done? I'm so mad. I just want to sleep. My family don't understand the pain. I need my medicine, "it's 1am, just go to sleep". I can't!! Doctor recommended walking, okay, let's go. I can't walk to far without feeling like my stitches are ripping. "Keep going", they say "Walk further." I know my family means well and I'm trying. I'm really trying. Some times I push through the pain. I do what I'm ask. But then there's time like today, where I'm just so frustrated with myself, with the pain, with only wanting to sleep. Did I make the right decision? Can I go back in time? I just want to press forward...skip through this frustration...feel me again

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

*big hug*

A lot of us regret our decision in the first week or two when we are in pain, and it's hard to drink, and our emotions are all messed up. I was lucky to have a fairly easy recovery.

I'm sorry you are still in a lot of pain. Try to keep on top of it with your prescribed pain medications, and let your doctor know if what you have is not helping enough.

Your stomach may feel like it's starving, but that is most likely just pain/growling from healing and excess acid and wondering what the heck just happened to it. If you are not already taking a PPI to aid stomach healing and reduce stomach acid please ask your doctor for one. Excess stomach acid can feel like near constant "hunger". Some people do also experience real hunger almost immediately, and it isn't satisfied by the early small portions of liquids they consume, however once they move up to thick purees and soft solids they feel much more satiety.

Are you still only limited to Water and gatorade? solid food at this point could hurt going down, but more importantly could harm your still healing stomach, which is still tiny and swollen. However I would expect your team would be allowing you to have more variety of thin liquids by 5 days post op, such as thin blended stocks/soups, and maybe a soothing cup of tea? I was being served thin Soups while still in hospital (which I couldn't have because they were reconstituted powdered soups full of MSG/glutamtes).

You are not alone, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience and encouragement here on the forums.

Edited by Taoz

*big hug*

A lot of us regret our decision in the first week or two when we are in pain, and it's hard to drink, and our emotions are all messed up. I was lucky to have a fairly easy recovery.

I'm sorry you are still in a lot of pain. Try to keep on top of it with your prescribed pain medications, and let your doctor know if what you have is not helping enough.

Your stomach may feel like it's starving, but that is most likely just pain/growling from healing and excess acid and wondering what the heck just happened to it. If you are not already taking a PPI to aid stomach healing and reduce stomach acid please ask your doctor for one. Excess stomach acid can feel like near constant "hunger". Some people do also experience real hunger almost immediately, and it isn't satisfied by the early small portions of liquids they consume, however once they move up to thick purees and soft solids they feel much more satiety.

Are you still only limited to Water and gatorade? solid food at this point could hurt going down, but more importantly could harm your still healing stomach, which is still tiny and swollen. However I would expect your team would be allowing you to have more variety of thin liquids by 5 days post op, such as thin blended stocks/soups, and maybe a soothing cup of tea? I was being served thin Soups while still in hospital (which I couldn't have because they were reconstituted powdered Soups full of MSG/glutamtes).

You are not alone, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience and encouragement here on the forums.
Thank you for responding! I'm still in Water and Gatorade diet...at one week I can add Protein Shakes. I will have to ask my doctor about PPI. They gave me pain medication but nothing for stomach acid and that's been one if my concern.

Thank you

6 hours ago, zaid said:

It's been 5 days since my surgery. Second day sleeping at home. It is now 1:28am, last night it was 4:30am and I still had no sleep. I'm in so much pain! What have I done to myself? I'm on a strict diet, only Water and Gatorade. I'm so mad!! It hurts to drink. Why are they forcing me to drink. I'm starving, my stomach is asking for food. I can't eat normal anymore. What have I done? I'm so mad. I just want to sleep. My family don't understand the pain. I need my medicine, "it's 1am, just go to sleep". I can't!! Doctor recommended walking, okay, let's go. I can't walk to far without feeling like my stitches are ripping. "Keep going", they say "Walk further." I know my family means well and I'm trying. I'm really trying. Some times I push through the pain. I do what I'm ask. But then there's time like today, where I'm just so frustrated with myself, with the pain, with only wanting to sleep. Did I make the right decision? Can I go back in time? I just want to press forward...skip through this frustration...feel me again

Know that it may get harder before it gets easier. Around my 4th week post-op, I had all kinds of issues with my stomach. I developed an H. Pylori infection, ulcers, and a stricture. It sucked but I got through it and I am doing all kinds of better. During those times, I had some regrets but now I have none. I am at a weight I haven't been since 2014 and doing generally well. Just be stoic and keep moving forward.

Even slight dehydration can make you feel much worse than normal. I was dehydrated the first two days and once I got my hydration levels up, I felt much better. The pain eases slowly and one day you'll get up and realize a new day has dawned and you are feeling stronger. Rest, walk when you can, drink ALL you can. Hugs and prayers.

Try warm tea, warm Bone Broth instead of Water, I don't understand why no Protein water or Protein Shakes? ??? The warmth will help relax the esophagus and stomach a little. And alternate with sugar free popsicles, also helps.

You are hungry, your body isn't getting any nutrition - you will feel better once you do full liquids and get fluids up, promise. It felt like swallowing aquarium gravel for a couple weeks from inflammation.

11 hours ago, zaid said:

Are you speaking of the stitches on the outside of your stomach or are you saying the staples inside where they cut off part of your stomach, I'm only asking because I don't want to be confused even though you said stitches. Also, I ask because I haven't had the surgery I'm still in the 1st stages of getting to the 1st consult to speak with a doctor and go over insurance options which I don't think I will be approved for so I plan on paying self pay. I know you can never compare yourself to anyone else just asking for clarity and just in case signs when I have my surgery.

I could NOT sleep laying down for a couple of weeks. My husband went right out the minute we got home from the hospital because while I was in the hospital all I did was sit in an easy chair or on the side of the bed. He presented me a lovely lazy boy easy chair and I was able to sleep slightly reclined. It was not perfectly easy or anything, but much much better. I couldn't have anything cold or even cool to eat or drink for a good while. Most of what I drank was lemon or raspberry tea with a little sugar free sweetener and just warm. My Protein Drink was and actually still is to this day...room temperature. Even this far out I'm not very crazy about hot or cold going down. But my tummy healed poorly sadly. NO REGRETS tho! All will be well.

You do need to walk, but I wouldn't push yourself this early. Let your body heal. Frequent but short walks should be just fine and increase the duration as your pain subsides and it will! :) No reason to be an athlete yet. I do hope you will feel better very soon. It seemed like for me, there was pain pain pain and then on the 6th day I woke up and I didn't need anything for pain anymore.

There is one thing I thought I might mention. While the constant nagging pain subsided within the week after my surgery, I did continue to feel pain each time I took a little liquid/food. I could feel my tummy do a painful "clench" I guess? This was very frequent and my doctor gave me something called Levsin to melt on my tongue. It literally stopped this awful cramping from happening and the quality of my recovery improved soooo much. Hugs! It will get better.

I had my sleeve on 7/11/18. I can't be sure, of course, but you might be having esophageal spasms. Prior to surgery, in addition to Oxycodone 5mg, my doctor also prescribed prn sublingual Hyoscyamine (Levsin) for post-op discomfort which feels like cramping. It works and provides relief. For sleeping for 4-5 hours I take the oxycodone only when needed. I also noticed when I don't take small sips, I get some mild cramping. Check with your doctor. Levsin might help.

Know that it may get harder before it gets easier. Around my 4th week post-op, I had all kinds of issues with my stomach. I developed an H. Pylori infection, ulcers, and a stricture. It sucked but I got through it and I am doing all kinds of better. During those times, I had some regrets but now I have none. I am at a weight I haven't been since 2014 and doing generally well. Just be stoic and keep moving forward.
Thank you! I'm glad you are now doing well and I appreciate your response!

Even slight dehydration can make you feel much worse than normal. I was dehydrated the first two days and once I got my hydration levels up, I felt much better. The pain eases slowly and one day you'll get up and realize a new day has dawned and you are feeling stronger. Rest, walk when you can, drink ALL you can. Hugs and prayers.
Thank you very much!!

Try warm tea, warm Bone Broth instead of Water, I don't understand why no Protein water or Protein Shakes? ??? The warmth will help relax the esophagus and stomach a little. And alternate with sugar free popsicles, also helps.
You are hungry, your body isn't getting any nutrition - you will feel better once you do full liquids and get fluids up, promise. It felt like swallowing aquarium gravel for a couple weeks from inflammation.
Thank you! I will try to at least warm tea. I start Protein shakes on Monday. I guess all doctor work different because a friend of mine was able to do Soup the first week and Protein Shakes just a fre days later.

Are you speaking of the stitches on the outside of your stomach or are you saying the staples inside where they cut off part of your stomach, I'm only asking because I don't want to be confused even though you said stitches. Also, I ask because I haven't had the surgery I'm still in the 1st stages of getting to the 1st consult to speak with a doctor and go over insurance options which I don't think I will be approved for so I plan on paying self pay. I know you can never compare yourself to anyone else just asking for clarity and just in case signs when I have my surgery.
Both it's hard to explain. Most time it hurts outside. If I'm walking for to long or getting up and sitting back down to fast or to much. Inside it hurts if I'm sitting to long or laying down a little more on either side. It's really hard to explain.

I really hope this doesn't discourage you. Every body heals different and many people are saying better things

I could NOT sleep laying down for a couple of weeks. My husband went right out the minute we got home from the hospital because while I was in the hospital all I did was sit in an easy chair or on the side of the bed. He presented me a lovely lazy boy easy chair and I was able to sleep slightly reclined. It was not perfectly easy or anything, but much much better. I couldn't have anything cold or even cool to eat or drink for a good while. Most of what I drank was lemon or raspberry tea with a little sugar free sweetener and just warm. My Protein drink was and actually still is to this day...room temperature. Even this far out I'm not very crazy about hot or cold going down. But my tummy healed poorly sadly. NO REGRETS tho! All will be well.
You do need to walk, but I wouldn't push yourself this early. Let your body heal. Frequent but short walks should be just fine and increase the duration as your pain subsides and it will! [emoji4] No reason to be an athlete yet. I do hope you will feel better very soon. It seemed like for me, there was pain pain pain and then on the 6th day I woke up and I didn't need anything for pain anymore.
There is one thing I thought I might mention. While the constant nagging pain subsided within the week after my surgery, I did continue to feel pain each time I took a little liquid/food. I could feel my tummy do a painful "clench" I guess? This was very frequent and my doctor gave me something called Levsin to melt on my tongue. It literally stopped this awful cramping from happening and the quality of my recovery improved soooo much. Hugs! It will get better.
That was really sweet of your husband!! As of now I'm sticking to Room Temperature drinks, i am afraid to try cold or even warm/hot drinks. Thank you very much for your words!! I will ask my doctor about Levsin, i understand that feeling.

I had my sleeve on 7/11/18. I can't be sure, of course, but you might be having esophageal spasms. Prior to surgery, in addition to Oxycodone 5mg, my doctor also prescribed prn sublingual Hyoscyamine (Levsin) for post-op discomfort which feels like cramping. It works and provides relief. For sleeping for 4-5 hours I take the oxycodone only when needed. I also noticed when I don't take small sips, I get some mild cramping. Check with your doctor. Levsin might help.
Same here. It hurts me too when I take a bigger sip then I should. I will ask my doctor about Levsin. Thank you