Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded about 10 years ago which has been a love hate relationship. I never really acclimated to the band so I’ve had it minimally filled for the last five years. I often feel stuck and vomit. I have severe acid reflux that I aspirate while sleeping and I am also anemic now. Recently I vomited which caused my band to slip. My doc said we can reposition, replace, or remove it. The acid reflux and constant discomfort have made me miserable so I’m opting for removal. I’m wondering if people who have suffered similar issues and had their band removed have felt relief from these issues after removal? I’m also curious about how your removal went and the down time after surgery. Thanks!

Edited by LoveLee
Typo in title

I was banded about 10 years ago which has been a love hate relationship. I never really acclimated to the band so I’ve had it minimally filled for the last five years. I often feel stuck and vomit. I have severe acid reflux that I aspirate while sleeping and I am also anemic now. Recently I vomited which caused my band to slip. My doc said we can reposition, replace, or remove it. The acid reflux and constant discomfort have made me miserable so I’m opting for removal. I’m wondering if people who have suffered similar issues and had their band removed have felt relief from these issues after removal? I’m also curious about how your removal went and the down time after surgery. Thanks!
There's a TON of people on the site who are revisions from band to sleeve or RNY. Give it a quick search. I believe Even the site's creator is making the switch. They all appear to be MUCH HAPPIER. safe journey

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

Lovelee is your insurance going to cover for the removal?

1 hour ago, Les3691 said:

Lovelee is your insurance going to cover for the removal?

Yes, they should. I’m waiting for the formal approval any day now.

Wonderful! Mine did not cover to have the LB placed, so I'm wondering if they will cover to have it removed. Did yours cover to have your LB placed?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Les3691 said:

Wonderful! Mine did not cover to have the LB placed, so I'm wondering if they will cover to have it removed. Did yours cover to have your LB placed?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

No, I was self pay when it was placed. I have different insurance now which has offers this coverage, thank god.

I am going to have mine removed nov 13. I am apprehensive but excited. It has been 10 years of up and downs. I weighed 307 when I started and lost to 250. That was it never anymore. Constant battle with food getting stuck and vomiting. I will then have another procedure, but not sure which one yet. I wish that I had been more informed before I had the band. One of my sisters has gotten bypass the other sleeved. The one that has been sleeved got it done at age 57 she is doing great and has lost from 300 to 140. She is very happy. The one that got banded was in her 40's she has done ok but not as good. So I am still trying to make a decision, but I am leaning toward sleeve. I am 66 and am ready for a change!

I had a band for 10 years, no loss but had all the vomiting problems if the food was too dry or too fast or whatever it would go out... so I decided and removed it and changed to sleeve, only have it for three weeks but I am already much happier than before. My doctor wanted to have a month+ difference from the day he removed it to the day of the sleeve... I was feeling super hungry these days but managed through quite well and lost 20kilos before my sleeve surgery (in three months time) plus 6 more now after the sleeve. My opinion is to avoid lapband and go for sleeve

I have had my band since 2009. It is coming out and being converted to RNY in Jan

Well I am finally going to begin my new journey. My surgery date to remove the band is 11/13/18 and I don't know yet if he is going to recommend the sleeve or bypass. This surgeon seems to lean towards bypass, but I have heard so many bad things about it. The last time that I left the decision totally to my DR. I ended up with the band. What a horrid mistake!! On this forum I do not understand what kgs is. I only understand in pounds. Also I have never in my life had a DR. tell me that I will lose only a certain amount of weight. If I work really hard I will lose as much weight as I want. It is very discouraging. I am 5'3" and weigh 257. I would like to lose to a healthy weight of 130. Losing 60% or weighing 180 is not an option for me. I will continue to post and let everyone how I am doing. I really need friends now. Thank You ALL!!

2 hours ago, wanda1952 said:

Well I am finally going to begin my new journey. My surgery date to remove the band is 11/13/18 and I don't know yet if he is going to recommend the sleeve or bypass. This surgeon seems to lean towards bypass, but I have heard so many bad things about it. The last time that I left the decision totally to my DR. I ended up with the band. What a horrid mistake!! On this forum I do not understand what kgs is. I only understand in pounds. Also I have never in my life had a DR. tell me that I will lose only a certain amount of weight. If I work really hard I will lose as much weight as I want. It is very discouraging. I am 5'3" and weigh 257. I would like to lose to a healthy weight of 130. Losing 60% or weighing 180 is not an option for me. I will continue to post and let everyone how I am doing. I really need friends now. Thank You ALL!!

Good luck, Wanda. My band was removed about 3 months ago and I couldn’t be happier to have it out. My food issues and reflux are almost completely gone. I opted to not have anything placed after removal and still feel it was the best decision for me. Keep us updated on your journey!

Thank You All for your input. I don't know why I am anxious and also excited to try and complete my weight loss journey. I grew up in a time if you weren't stick thin then you were ridiculed by all. I have always suffered from low esteem. I guess I have lost a roomful of people (in weight) through the years. I think that every time that life kicked me in the butt I gained all the weight back. Maybe this time I can take things as they come and perhaps be a little kinder to myself. I do go to counseling and know that I also have to learn to live with myself and accept me for who I am. I could always hide behind being a Wife, Mother, and Employee. Too tired always to take time for myself. Now that I am older I have called a big time out and just grabbing all that I can.

Hi all , its been a long time since i posted on here .

I had my lapband put in privately in nov 2012 at a cost of £7000 for which i got a loan . I had spent years trying to beat my weight problems which started after being bullied at school for years , i spoke to my then doctor about it who agreed i had tried pretty much everything , desperate and after a lot of research i decided on the band , mainly due to it being less invasive . Numerous fills , adjustments have been done , even 3 barium swallows which all showed band in correct place , yet my journey has been a battle . Appoximately 6 months ago i had the Fluid all removed from my band due to continual pain when trying to eat , despite chewing food to death . When i attempt to eat i always have to have a hot drink by my side so if i get pain i can drink which eventually helps it to pass through band {rather than get to the point of being sick which has happened in the past numerous times } which i was initually told i shouldnt need to do ? I thought once all fluid had been taken out i would be able to eat a more balanced diet , just as i could following surgery , things improved for a while but i am now back to pain every time i try to eat , right in the middle of my chest where my port is placed , i also wake up coughing in the night sometimes , last night my husband said i was coughing in my sleep but i wasnt aware , feel lapband may have been a big mistake , stress seems to effect things to , but no one told me that . Not sure what my next move should be , any thoughts or similar experiences ?

Waking up coughing in the night is probably due to reflux and acid creeping back up your oesophagus. It has happened to me a number of times and it is horrible.

The probable reason for you not being able to swallow is oesophagal failure. I have been advised by my surgeon that this is quite a common problem. With a band the oesophagus works so hard to push food through that it eventually gets to a point where it can no longer do so.

You need to go and see your surgeon and discuss your options. The band needs to be removed and you probably want to revise to another type of WLS. I have been advised by my surgeon that a sleeve is NOT a good option after a band due to the high risk of reflux. As you already have symptoms you will probably be advised to go with a Roux en Y gastric bypass.

This is the route that I am going with in Jan after having my band since 2009. Some surgeons like to do a 2 step procedure with 2 separate surgeries but some will do both in 1.

Now I'm not sure what the NHS will or won't cover. Here in Aus having the band removed and revised to an RNY means I have to pay another lot of "out of pocket" costs +/-$5000. If only we could get a refund for the band because of the issues it has caused.

i recently had my band removed, i had it for 12.5 yrs, and after 6 years of daily heartburn and food constantly getting stuck and having to vomit, those problems went away. mine had slipped and when looking at the upper GI, my stomach looked like a mushroom cloud.