Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I'm having metabolic surgery next week, so I'll be taking a few days off to recoup."

Bariatric surgery was named in 1953, after the Greek word “βάρΟς” for weight, when Varco first attempted to treat severe obesity with a bypass of the small intestine. Since then, the field has expanded to control diseases that include type 2 diabetes mellitus.

In 1995, Dr. Walter Pories and his research team published an article titled “Who would have thought it? An operation proves to be the most effective therapy for adult-onset diabetes mellitus”. Since then, evidence has accumulated showing that weight-loss surgery can cure/improve several metabolic diseases, especially adult onset or Type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Obesity is tough to combat using behavioral interventions, with studies showing only moderate weight loss and frequent weight regain. Many diabetes patients struggle to control blood sugar and other metabolic disorders, despite a wide range of available pharmacologic options. Metabolic surgery is designed to benefit patients with type 2 diabetes, in whom obesity is often a major underlying factor.

The term "metabolic surgery" indicates a surgical approach whose primary intent is the control of metabolic alterations/hyperglycemia in contrast to "bariatric surgery," conceived as a mere weight-reduction therapy. Metabolic patients tend to be older, male, have a lower BMI, and have diabetes. Bariatric patients tend to be younger, female, have BMIs double the ideal weight for height, and have an average of three to four obesity-associated co-morbid conditions such as pre-diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, arthritis, and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Metabolic surgery is defined as a set of gastrointestinal operations (such as sleeve gastrectomy or Roux-n-Y gastric bypass) performed with the intent to treat diabetes and other metabolic dysfunctions, which include obesity.

In 2009 the American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) changed its name to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) to promote information on the beneficial effects of surgeries for weight loss in treating metabolic diseases, especially Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23314274

https://diabetes.medicinematters.com/metabolic-surgery/type-2-diabetes/metabolic-surgery-a-powerful-solution-or-a-last-resort-/12343792

https://weightlosssurgery.ca/surgery-type-2-diabetes/what-is-metabolic-surgery/

So, if you're having weight-loss surgery primarily to treat diabetes or pre-diabetes, or even if you aren't having surgery for that specific reason, you still might want to inform your co-workers or any judgmental extended family members that, "I'm having metabolic surgery next week, so I'll be taking a few days off to recoup."

metabolicpal.com?:D

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

I was pretty open pre-op. Some asked how I could be so open and deal with the negative or judgmental opinions... and it’s really quite simple for me. Opinions only hold as much value as you give them. If you are not my doctor or personal trainer, your opinion of my health choices means very little.

Nearly every person has been supportive, at least openly. I’d like to think if someone really wants to see me happy and healthy, that they will accept or support any actions I take to be either of those things.

ahhhhhh that is a great way to put it :D But people will still dumb it down LOL I have not told the public but only a few close friends and my pastors. I did that on purpose because I did not want to have to deal with added stress of having to explain to people or try to explain and then seeing their judgement because they truly don't get it. I would rather avoid having persons speaking negativity over me during a time when I am striving very hard towards positive change. To me, that is just wisdom.

My blood glucose has come under much better control than what it used to be but I am still using insulin (FAR less than before) Even with weight loss I have to watch sugar and carbs in the little that I eat. The main factor in me doing this surgery was to come off of insulin and improve my health. Looking better is honestly just the cherry on top

ahhhhhh that is a great way to put it [emoji3] But people will still dumb it down LOL I have not told the public but only a few close friends and my pastors. I did that on purpose because I did not want to have to deal with added stress of having to explain to people or try to explain and then seeing their judgement because they truly don't get it. I would rather avoid having persons speaking negativity over me during a time when I am striving very hard towards positive change. To me, that is just wisdom.
My blood glucose has come under much better control than what it used to be but I am still using insulin (FAR less than before) Even with weight loss I have to watch sugar and carbs in the little that I eat. The main factor in me doing this surgery was to come off of insulin and improve my health. Looking better is honestly just the cherry on top
Has hunger come under control also ?

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

1 hour ago, Tealael said:

Has hunger come under control also ?

I stopped taking liquid Vitamin B and that helped a lot with curbing the hunger. I read that vitamin B stimulates appetite and that has proven true with me.

Some days the appetite flares up but it is much better than before. I am sure hormones play into it since I am peri menopausal on the verge of menopause

Edited by BajanSleeve

I stopped taking liquid Vitamin B and that helped a lot with curbing the hunger. I read that Vitamin B stimulates appetite and that has proven true with me.
Some days the appetite flares up but it is much better than before. I am sure hormones play into it since I am peri menopausal on the verge of menopause
Amazing, I never even heard that about b vitamins...

@Tealael BajanSleeve's post intrigued me. If anyone has figured me out a little by now, you'll realize that I just gotta get to the bottom of anything medical or scientific. I was SHOCKED to find this:

" Some people notice an increase in feelings of hunger after they start to take Vitamins. Although some vitamins may affect hunger in certain situations, these increased feelings of hunger are more likely due to another cause.

Although most vitamins won't cause you to feel hungry if you're healthy, people with certain conditions may experience this effect. One of the side effects of certain Vitamin deficiencies is a loss of appetite. If you have such a vitamin deficiency and then begin taking vitamins to correct it, you might feel hungrier because you're no longer experiencing a loss of appetite because of the deficiency.

Loss of appetite is a side effect of vitamin B-12 deficiency, which is more common among vegans, chronic alcoholics, people with digestive disorders and those who've had weight-loss surgery.

A deficiency of folate can cause loss of appetite. Among the other B vitamins, thiamine, niacin and Biotin deficiencies can also cause lack of appetite.

Vitamin D's effect on appetite is interesting, as both Vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D toxicity can cause appetite loss.

A vitamin K deficiency, which is most common in people on certain medications or those who have difficulty absorbing fat, may also lead to loss of appetite."

This vitamin deficiency alert scared the becheezits out of me. I need to be more vigilant about my vitamins, but it's almost a full-time job to organize. My Multivitamin has to be spread out 6x/per day and my Calcium 4x/per day, and then I can't mix the Iron with the calcium... the sublingual B12 is the easiest to take. I'm also taking magnesium citrate now because of post-op cramping in my legs. As for vitamin D-2, I've been deficient in that for years, even though I take 50,000U 2x/per week. It's hard to keep up. And, of course, I have to incorporate my regular meds. I must be half-horse by now... considering all the horse pills I have to take!:44_frowning2:

[mention=321469]Tealael[/mention] BajanSleeve's post intrigued me. If anyone has figured me out a little by now, you'll realize that I just gotta get to the bottom of anything medical or scientific. I was SHOCKED to find this:
" Some people notice an increase in feelings of hunger after they start to take Vitamins. Although some Vitamins may affect hunger in certain situations, these increased feelings of hunger are more likely due to another cause.
Although most vitamins won't cause you to feel hungry if you're healthy, people with certain conditions may experience this effect. One of the side effects of certain Vitamin deficiencies is a loss of appetite. If you have such a Vitamin deficiency and then begin taking vitamins to correct it, you might feel hungrier because you're no longer experiencing a loss of appetite because of the deficiency.

Loss of appetite is a side effect of vitamin B-12 deficiency, which is more common among vegans, chronic alcoholics, people with digestive disorders and those who've had weight-loss surgery.

A deficiency of folate can cause loss of appetite. Among the other B vitamins, thiamine, niacin and Biotin deficiencies can also cause lack of appetite.

Vitamin D's effect on appetite is interesting, as both Vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D toxicity can cause appetite loss.

A vitamin K deficiency, which is most common in people on certain medications or those who have difficulty absorbing fat, may also lead to loss of appetite."

This vitamin deficiency alert scared the becheezits out of me. I need to be more vigilant about my vitamins, but it's almost a full-time job to organize. My Multivitamin has to be spread out 6x/per day and my Calcium 4x/per day, and then I can't mix the Iron with the calcium... the sublingual B12 is the easiest to take. I'm also taking magnesium citrate now because of post-op cramping in my legs. As for vitamin D-2, I've been deficient in that for years, even though I take 50,000U 2x/per week. It's hard to keep up. And, of course, I have to incorporate my regular meds. I must be half-horse by now... considering all the horse pills I have to take!:44_frowning2:

I was also super analytical with my vitamins early on , but now I leave then on NY kitchen table and take them when I walk by lol

I stopped taking liquid Vitamin B and that helped a lot with curbing the hunger. I read that Vitamin B stimulates appetite and that has proven true with me. Some days the appetite flares up but it is much better than before. I am sure hormones play into it since I am peri menopausal on the verge of menopause

Are you taking a different form of B Vitamins instead? Don't stop altogether, the deficiencies are serious... I'm sure I don't need to tell youVSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

11 hours ago, Tealael said:

Are you taking a different form of B Vitamins instead? Don't stop altogether, the deficiencies are serious... I'm sure I don't need to tell youVSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

I get the B Vitamins in the daily multi Vitamin which I take twice a day. But in addition to that I was taking liquid vitamin b which was too much and was stimulating my appetite. I am very good with taking supplements, Calcium, Iron, Biotin and all of the good stuff. Including ma veggies and putting some in my smoothies, with moringa, sometimes spirulina, my Protein powders, etc

Take a read of this. You can also google it further. Too much vitamin B definitely stimulates appetite

https://www.livestrong.com/article/488651-vitamin-b-complex-and-weight-gain/

Edited by BajanSleeve

I get the B Vitamins in the daily multi Vitamin which I take twice a day. But in addition to that I was taking liquid Vitamin b which was too much and was stimulating my appetite. I am very good with taking supplements, Calcium, Iron, Biotin and all of the good stuff. Including ma veggies and putting some in my smoothies, with moringa, sometimes spirulina, my Protein powders, etc
Take a read of this. You can also google it further. Too much vitamin B definitely stimulates appetite
https://www.livestrong.com/article/488651-vitamin-b-complex-and-weight-gain/
Thanks, I'm definitely going to look at this.

Excellent read, Barbados girl. I, too, just use my multivitamin as my source of B Vitamins, except for B12. That one is different. It has to be taken sublingually (under the tongue).

I know you've been struggling with hunger. As long as you are getting enough of each Vitamin to stave off a deficiency, what more can you do?

Trust in yourself. You know your body. We're in this together, girl.

How are your dogs doing? I think it's wonderful that you share your home with rescues. My birds and your dogs. Wow. Wouldn't that make a chirping-barking houseful?

I would live to visit but I won't bring my 2 cats, that would only complicate matters. ❤You both, you are like my bari-sisters and I enjoy your posts.😛🌴😛👍❤

@BajanSleeve What a nice, nice banner photo you uploaded on your profile page. Is that your doctor next to you?

3 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@BajanSleeve What a nice, nice banner photo you uploaded on your profile page. Is that your doctor next to you?

yes and I looked like HELL lol that was the 2nd day after surgery and that was one of the doctors. he looked so young but he is 43 and a gastric sleever himself