Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just thought I would ask here why the pre and post diet for the gastric sleeve require no caffeinated coffee. I know it's long been believed that caffeine acts as a diuretic, and it does to those people who don't drink it daily. However there has been new studies that show that if you have been a caffeine Drinker for years the diuretic portion of caffeine is not going to affect you. If there is any other reason not to drink caffeinated coffee I would love to know. Thanks

doctors trained along time ago and very few change much when new studies cast doubt on old beliefs

skip the coffee at the start till you have a good grip on hydration then do as you want with coffee.

coffee increase gastric juices and so post op it’s good to avoid ulcer causing things. Also preop so that you don’t have caffeine withdrawals when you’re healing. That being said I am angry and depressed that I have been told no coffee!! 💔💔

I have surgery in 5 days. I just stopped caffeine so I can go through withdraw if it happens. I will avoid it for awhile and add it in when I'm ready. I've heard it is not good during the healing process.

On 07/20/2018 at 21:23, Laura7 said:

I have surgery in 5 days. I just stopped caffeine so I can go through withdraw if it happens. I will avoid it for awhile and add it in when I'm ready. I've heard it is not good during the healing process.

Good for you! I had a killer headache for a couple of days. I gave it up and haven’t gone back even after surgery. I just feel better! Decaf teas if I feel the need for a hot drink :)

My surgeon and NUT said to wait until my stomach has healed and then I can add in small amounts of coffee. I never thought I could stand life without coffee but I didn't miss it like I thought I would. I was spending a fortune at Starbucks preop and it is nice breaking that habit!

Gave up coffee completely after my 1st consult with my NUT. She said it builds up acid in the stomach that could affect the staples after surgery.(or something like that) Been drinking spanish coffee since I was a child. I could drink a cup and go right to sleep so it wasn't a point of the caffeine any longer. Luckily stopped cold turkey and had no issues. Not sure if I'll ever go back to drinking it as often as I used to or even at all. I don't crave it and it's just added calories.

Good luck with your coffee vacation.

I had coffee pre and post op during the clear liquid phase. Old school said no caffeine because of increased heart burn and dehydration. Now it depends on the doctors and nutritionist. My only restriction was it had to be black.

Had some cold brew the other day. Thought the less acid coffee would work but it really agitated my heartburn. Only had a few sips. Will try again in 3 month.
I miss the ritual of having a fresh cup of coffee in the morning but I guess I can do without.

I had coffee the morning after surgery with no issues but it was listed as an approved liquid on my post op diet.

Crazy how different the programs can be. Had my 1st follow up with my NUT yesterday and once again she stressed "No caffeine, right? ". Oh well, Like I said I don't crave it so I'm good. Those of you that can indulge, Enjoy!!

its the acid in the coffee and the stimulant of the caffeine that is not good for the sleeve. Many Surgeons have different opinions. Mine said 1 year I live in upstate new york. My friend lives in Boston had the Sleeve 2 years ago and her Surgeon said after 2 weeks post op she was ok to have it again

On 7/20/2018 at 7:40 PM, BTmom said:

coffee increase gastric juices and so post op it’s good to avoid ulcer causing things. Also preop so that you don’t have caffeine withdrawals when you’re healing. That being said I am angry and depressed that I have been told no coffee!! 💔💔

Me TOO!! NOT SURE HOW TO GIVE IT UP!

Just like with most things all plans are different. My surgeon was fine with caffeinated coffee.< /p>