Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2018 Study: Weight loss surgery may affect an individual's risk of developing cancer

Patients who underwent surgery had a 77% decreased risk of developing hormone-related cancer (breast, endometrial or prostate cancer) when compared with patients who did not have surgery.

Gastric bypass resulted in the largest risk reduction (84%) for hormone-related cancer but was associated with a greater than twofold increased risk of colorectal cancer.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180716103541.htm

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

So, the moral of the story...is that getting our colonoscopies is twice as important!

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I have been dreading getting my first colonoscopy since long before I got my VGS surgery. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with any of the alternative, new colonoscopy methods that are sometimes recommended for bariatric patients?

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I have been dreading getting my first colonoscopy since long before I got my VGS surgery. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with any of the alternative, new colonoscopy methods that are sometimes recommended for bariatric patients?
No reason to dread a colonoscopy. If you can handle VSG surgery, you can definitely handle a colonoscopy. Its quick, simple, and painless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Oct517 said:

No reason to dread a colonoscopy. If you can handle VSG surgery, you can definitely handle a colonoscopy. Its quick, simple, and painless.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

The only bad part of a colonoscopy is the prep! I cant drink the stuff they give you to clean you out. My last one I had pills. It was alot...like 40 pills. 4 or 5 huge pills every 5 min! But it was better than drinking the stuff haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Jean9 said:

The only bad part of a colonoscopy is the prep! I cant drink the stuff they give you to clean you out. My last one I had pills. It was alot...like 40 pills. 4 or 5 huge pills every 5 min! But it was better than drinking the stuff haha

Thanks, that was one of the things I was wondering about.

I've had at least four colonoscopies, and I do them without batting an eye now. Even though I have no history of cancer in my family of origin, the GI doctor found the beginnings of what appeared to be a polyp during my first routine colonoscopy. He is conservative in his approach, and I am grateful.

Both of my husband's parents died of stomach cancer. I see what it does to a family. I am fearful because of the genetics that my children may now carry.

A couple of days of inconvenience (the bowel flushing prep) is nothing compared to what is potentially a shorter life because of inaction.

Do the colonoscopy. Don't play with your life or the lives of those who love you. I apologize if I've been overly dramatic with my words, but it's frustrating to see someone (who probably has good health insurance) potentially neglect their health because of a simple preparatory step for an important diagnostic procedure.

Again, my apology for my bluntness.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

MO- Lee's Summit, do we now do the traditional colon prep or is there some consideration given for our unique new anatomy? I think my last I did Ducolax followed by the dreaded Mag Citrate, but that was over 5 years ago, now that I am having upper GI problems am I maybe going to move up in frequency also? I know many, it's only every 10 years. Just wondering, do you or anyone else have an answer for ME?