Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had surgery using Robotic Da Vinci?

I havent had it done via the robot, but my nurse told me she thinks the robot is really only necessary for complex gynecological or urological surgeries. She said it adds time on the table and more anesthesia time. Her recommendation to me was to choose laprascopic so I'd be under anesthesia for a shorter time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Today is my pre op visit with my doctor, the nurse stated he going to use the DaVinci robotics vs laparoscopic. Has anyone had it done by Robotic any input, thoughts and comments are welcome. Or any questions I should ask the dr.
Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sounds awesome, any YouTube videos of this specific doctor using it?

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

I haven't had surgery done with the DaVinci but I would like to throw in my 2 cents:

I have to respectfully disagree with GassyGurl. The robot does have several advantages in general surgery. The robotic arms have actual wrists to allow for the surgeon to approach tissue and vessels at the optimal angle, something that traditional laparoscopic instruments limits the surgeon. The robotic staplers are very highly advanced and are connected to the computer system. If the stapler is clamped down and the computer does not read that it has good positioning it won't allow the surgeon to fire the stapler.

GassyGurl is correct, the robot can take longer than laparoscopic surgeries but I don't necessarily feel that should be the only reason to dismiss it. After all, getting an RNY over a sleeve would keep you on the table longer and under anesthesia longer but that wouldn't bare much weight when you are deciding which procedure you're having?

The surgeon is looking to use a tool in the operating room to help him get the job done. Just like you're getting a tool to help you achieve your weight loss. Just like many people consider WLS unnecessary, you will find many people in the healthcare industry regard the DaVinci as unnecessary.

I havent had it done via the robot, but my nurse told me she thinks the robot is really only necessary for complex gynecological or urological surgeries. She said it adds time on the table and more anesthesia time. Her recommendation to me was to choose laprascopic so I'd be under anesthesia for a shorter time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Nurse said it only add about 10 min more could be less of table time. Said it less invasive, less down time and less leaks. Want to ask dr. as many question as I can, why this will be a better way.

Nurse said it only add about 10 min more could be less of table time. Said it less invasive, less down time and less leaks. Want to ask dr. as many question as I can, why this will be a better way.

Probably because they have access to the machine and want to make advances in the industry by using it more often. If it was offered to me. I wouldn't have turned it down.

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

I am having the procedure done with the DaVinci robot next Friday. My doc said that, like an earlier poster said, the arms have "joints" and can move more easily than the straight arm of the laparoscopic wand. Also in regards to the stapler, if the robot doesn't feel the adequate tissue needed, it will not staple.

I had the VSG with the robot. I don't really know why that is better but I had a pretty easy recovery. I work from home so I had the surgery Monday, came home Tuesday and went back to work on Wednesday. I was pretty miserable for a day or two, but never used any pain meds (I teach online so I didn't want any loopy classes, lol).

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I forgot to add that my doctor has never had a leak with the robot.

Pretty sure O.S.U. uses Da Vinci as assitance with bariatric surgeries. But folks, you all know me , CP30 can scrub in as long as my Dr Needleman is there too!😷👍😝

Ive worked with some C3PO type personalities in the OR - much like Han Solo, they are not my favorites.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

My doctor uses the Da Vinci robot and I was given the choice of him using it or not. I trusted him to decide what was best for me as he is the expert and been doing sleeves and bypass for 15+ years. He recommended to go with the robot and I did. No problems due to the robot just lots of nausea for several weeks but the robot had nothing to do with it. Personally I’d go with whatever your doctor thinks is best.. and if you don’t trust his/her advice I’d find a new one ;) I’m sure whatever you decide it will go well :)

My doctor uses the Da Vinci robot and I was given the choice of him using it or not. I trusted him to decide what was best for me as he is the expert and been doing sleeves and bypass for 15+ years. He recommended to go with the robot and I did. No problems due to the robot just lots of nausea for several weeks but the robot had nothing to do with it. Personally I’d go with whatever your doctor thinks is best.. and if you don’t trust his/her advice I’d find a new one ;) I’m sure whatever you decide it will go well :)
Thank you so much, I am so close to my surgery and my nervous are really kick in. But coming in this board and seeing everyone going thru the same and the great support helps. Thank you again..

Oh well I will be sound asleep so maybe it won't be so bad. But if I have motor oil on my incisions I will be chasing him through the building with a pipe wrench and bolt cutters!🔩🔧😡