Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

I’ll be 5 years post op in December from the sleeve. I’ve been able to maintain the same weight for a long time now.

What is Keto like? Does anyone currently do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following here...

I had surgery 11.7.17 and my hubby just had his 7.8.18...He's very interested in doing Keto, my eating plan is close but not as strict...it would be helpful if we were on the same plan...save so much $$ and double cooking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pre-surgery, I have five months left until my insurance will approve or deny me for surgery. I am doing Keto to maintain/not gain weight before the insurance review.

I love meat, cheese, eggs and non starchy veggies - so Keto is easy for me. I don't miss sugar too much, but Atkins makes low carb sweet treats to satisfy that craving. The best part of keto for me is that looking at the nutrition label and identifying if I can eat a certain product is so easy. Total carbs - Fiber - sugar alcohols = net carbs. I track my carbs and calories in Myfitness pal, by editing my macros columns so I can focus on the items I need to pay attention to. I have also found a recipe with cheese, egg and seasonings to make "flatbread". It is deliciously cheesy and I turned that same recipe in to lasagna "noodles" and found a low carb Pasta Sauce to make a lasagna tonight!

Edited by Bootscraper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keto is a great way to lose weight in the short term. Long term, there are strong concerns in the medical community that it could damage your kidneys. Long term research still needs to be done on this. Regain after keto is also an issue. High blood pressure, diabetes and other comorbidities of obesity also damage your kidneys, so keto is sometimes felt to be the lesser of two evils in trying to help people to lose weight....because it does work. Unfortunately, it might work at a price you'll pay later as you age.

Have tried keto in the past. Made my BUN go up (kidney function test) and I regained 50 pounds faster than I lost it.

Might work well for some people, but keto is definitely not for me.

To each, their own.

The highest rates of longevity in the world are correlated to people who eat diets high in complex carbs, vegetables, fruits, plant based Proteins and fats, and a small amount of lean animal Protein.

Ultimately, you pay your money and take your chances. Talking to your doctor is a terrific idea.

Edited by Creekimp13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I've was sleeved back in May of 2015 and was losing weight but had a stall. I started Keto on 5/30/2018 and have already lost 40 lbs as of today. I love the Keto lifestyle. I would and have recommended this lifestyle to many of my family members and even co-workers. The change in weight has been dramatic and I am always being asked how am I losing the weight. Only draw back is having to buy smaller clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

Keto is a great way to lose weight in the short term. Long term, there are strong concerns in the medical community that it could damage your kidneys. Long term research still needs to be done on this. Regain after keto is also an issue. High blood pressure, diabetes and other comorbidities of obesity also damage your kidneys, so keto is sometimes felt to be the lesser of two evils in trying to help people to lose weight....because it does work. Unfortunately, it might work at a price you'll pay later as you age.

Have tried keto in the past. Made my BUN go up (kidney function test) and I regained 50 pounds faster than I lost it.

Might work well for some people, but keto is definitely not for me.

To each, their own.

The highest rates of longevity in the world are correlated to people who eat diets high in complex carbs, vegetables, fruits, plant based Proteins and fats, and a small amount of lean animal Protein.

Ultimately, you pay your money and take your chances. Talking to your doctor is a terrific idea.

Baloney.

mr fluffy and I have been Keto for about 90% of the last 18 years. Good news! We still have all our kidneys and have totes normal bun/crest levels!! Even despite my chemo and tons of contrast media! Lol.

https://www.renalandurologynews.com/nutrition/high-fat-low-carb-diet-beneficial-for-ckd-patients/article/314032/

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for the input.
I read that doing Keto you have to not eat as much Protein because it will counter act the Keto and make you gain? Has anyone else heard that?
Also, what the hell are “Micros and macros” and why do you need to track those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Have tried Keto in the past. Made my BUN go up (kidney function test)

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Baloney.

mr fluffy and I have been Keto for about 90% of the last 18 years. Good news! We still have all our kidneys and have totes normal bun/crest levels!! Even despite my chemo and tons of contrast media! Lol.

https://www.renalandurologynews.com/nutrition/high-fat-low-carb-diet-beneficial-for-ckd-patients/article/314032/

Not exactly Baloney for everyone. I went on a Protein strict diet prior to surgery and almost couldn't have surgery because I had temporary proteinuria. It didn't level back out until I started a more balanced diet. The kidney doctor told me specifically that an increase in protein, or heavy protein diet can cause temporary---leading to permanent kidney disease or damage. This happened to me. My doctor told me this. I should say, that this isn't the case for everyone I'm sure. And we all know that pre op diets and liver shrinking diets in general, are the extreme version of "Keto".

Edited by AshAsh1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Not exactly Baloney for everyone. I went on a Protein strict diet prior to surgery and almost couldn't have surgery because I had temporary proteinuria. It didn't level back out until I started a more balanced diet. The kidney doctor told me specifically that an increase in Protein, or heavy protein diet can cause temporary---leading to permanent kidney disease or damage. This happened to me. My doctor told me this.

Ash my low carb diet is the same exact amount of protein as when I was doing my prepping nut diet. 74g. Low carb/keto is only EVER originally intended to be "protein ADEQUATE." If you're upping your protein to more than you need, it's not a good thing. And it means you're not doing low carb/keto correctly.

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Download my fitness pal and it will help you with setting up your macros. Macros are the percentage of carbs, fats, and Protein intake. I set mine up as 5%carbs, 70% fat and 25% protein. Keto is a low carb, high fat and moderate protein diet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Ash my low carb diet is the same exact Amy of Protein as when I was doing my prepping nut diet.

I did edit my post to say this....

4 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I should say, that this isn't the case for everyone I'm sure. And we all know that pre op diets and liver shrinking diets in general, are the extreme version of "Keto".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Not exactly Baloney for everyone. I went on a Protein strict diet prior to surgery and almost couldn't have surgery because I had temporary proteinuria. It didn't level back out until I started a more balanced diet. The kidney doctor told me specifically that an increase in Protein, or heavy protein diet can cause temporary---leading to permanent kidney disease or damage. This happened to me. My doctor told me this. I should say, that this isn't the case for everyone I'm sure. And we all know that pre op diets and liver shrinking diets in general, are the extreme version of "Keto".

At the end of my preop high protein liver shrinker, my BUN jumped up to 26. It scared me because I used to work in a dialysis unit and I really want healthy kidneys. I hope once I'm healed and eating more normally that I'll be able to eat plenty of protein with some complex carbs to balance that out a bit. But I have to say that at two weeks postop, carbs make me very sick and I am scared to even try them now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lisa K. said:

But I have to say that at two weeks postop, carbs make me very sick and I am scared to even try them now!

Same way for me at your stage. All I can say, is that things change significantly as time goes on. Never give up on a food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×