Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wouldn't the lack of food volume be an issue?

Idk, maybe after doing it for a while you wouldn't even care anymore, but I've never done keto

I assume immediately after surgery would be he easiest transition if you have no hunger. I'm too far gone. Would you like to give it the old scientific method and try it with me?

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

1 minute ago, Tealael said:

Idk, maybe after a while doing you wouldn't even care anymore, but I've never done keto
I assume immediately after surgery would be he easiest transition if you have no hunger. I'm too far gone. Would you like to give it the old scientific method and try it with me?

Lol, I'm all up for the scientific method, but not on this one. I actually could manage on the 5oz of food most days. But the low carbs make it a deal breaker. Can't have Jerky or cheese, I'm out :lol:

8 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Fluffy, I meant no offense, I know you're a passionate ketovangelist...and good luck with that. Sincerely.

On a happy note, I'm one pound from goal, and inches from walking off into the bariatricpal sunset here pretty quick...so no one has to worry about my "all this Protein will ruin your kidneys" rants before too long. LOL.

No sincerity whatsoever about you....when you find it necessary to blame someone on here for their own health problems and state that the diet she and her husband follow is to blame for all her medical issues that is the lowest form of bullying and a sure sign that you need to not be here. You must be a horribly insecure person to need to build yourself up by tearing others down. That is not what people come here for.

Man, I just wanted some info on Keto and I feel like I’m reading an old school MySpace argument lol. Does anyone else have any good resources to find info on it? I just watched The Magic Pill on Netflix, and of course took it with a grain of salt, because I’m not sure who the documentary was funded by, but it definitely piqued my interest.

The best place for information about Keto is probably Ketogains.com. They have a Facebook group and a webpage with a very good macro calculator. They're very science based and won't take any BS. They don't promote macro percentages or super high fat. Instead they track their macros in grams. Essentially keeping carbs below 50 grams per day or rather 20 grams will put your body into a ketogenic state. Then you have to have your adequate Protein. Not too much, not too little, actually their protein recommendation is the same as the bariatric one. If your body is already high fat you don't need to consume extra high fat. Which is also pretty much the post op bariatric diet anyway. Eat your protein first, then have some vegetables and in the case of keto, if you have room left in your post-op sleeve/pouch, you fill it with good fats, not starches. Some olive oil or butter for cooking the vegetables, meat or eggs, half an avocado, a handful of nuts or olives etc.

I'm keto since 2013 and I find the true and real keto very healthful and good nutrition. The problem is, keto has become very mainstream and lots of people want to make money on it and start spreading these absurd versions of keto that won't get you closer to your goals. "Eat fat to lose fat." You really don't have to eat 85% fat to make ketones aka be ketogenic, you just have to limit your carbs, eat adequate protein and non starchy vegetables. For example my macros today, 8 weeks after having the sleeve are 21 g carbs, 94 g protein, 48 g fat, 896 kcal. 37 lbs lost so far.

The best place for information about Keto is probably Ketogains.com. They have a Facebook group and a webpage with a very good macro calculator. They're very science based and won't take any BS. They don't promote macro percentages or super high fat. Instead they track their macros in grams. Essentially keeping carbs below 50 grams per day or rather 20 grams will put your body into a ketogenic state. Then you have to have your adequate Protein. Not too much, not too little, actually their Protein recommendation is the same as the bariatric one. If your body is already high fat you don't need to consume extra high fat. Which is also pretty much the post op bariatric diet anyway. Eat your protein first, then have some vegetables and in the case of keto, if you have room left in your post-op sleeve/pouch, you fill it with good fats, not starches. Some olive oil or butter for cooking the vegetables, meat or eggs, half an avocado, a handful of nuts or olives etc.
I'm keto since 2013 and I find the true and real keto very healthful and good nutrition. The problem is, keto has become very mainstream and lots of people want to make money on it and start spreading these absurd versions of keto that won't get you closer to your goals. "Eat fat to lose fat." You really don't have to eat 85% fat to make ketones aka be ketogenic, you just have to limit your carbs, eat adequate protein and non starchy vegetables. For example my macros today, 8 weeks after having the sleeve are 21 g carbs, 94 g protein, 48 g fat, 896 kcal. 37 lbs lost so far.

You've been doing this version of Keto since 2013? Has it helped you lose or maintain, or was it to stabilize health issues? Was it hard to maintain for years at a time?

18 minutes ago, Tealael said:

You've been doing this version of Keto since 2013? Has it helped you lose or maintain, or was it to stabilize health issues? Was it hard to maintain for years at a time?

Actually I started in January 2013 with the simple Dietdoctor.com protocol. I started at 251 lbs and by October 2013 I was down to 178 lbs, (height 5'7") which I was able to maintain for 3-4 years with no major effort on my part. My high blood pressure normalized within months after startin this woe, my skin got better, my moods got better ect. I just followed the Dietdoctor's keep your carbs low and eat real food protocol. But as years got by my underlying binge eating disorder got the best of me and first I started binging on keto foods and soon even eating junk-food again and of-course I gained some weight. I found ketogains last summer and was able to lose 25 lbs in a month or two, but started binging again until I was back up at 224 lbs when I decided to have my sleeve in May this year. I'm a self pay patient and live in a European country. Now, 8 weeks post op I'm down to 187 lbs, my goal is to get to 154 lbs.

Although my binge eating failed my life's so far best weight loss effort aka keto, I can't blame this on the diet. Obesity and food addiction is a complex disease. Sensible keto is a great way to eat healthy nutritious real food and my sleeve is a great tool to help me keep myself on track.

2keto dudes actually have a great podcast episode dedicated to weight loss surgery and keto, where three lovely ladies share their experience with keto and sleeve surgery: http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=52

Edited by sleeve23may2018
add

My diet is pretty similar to Fluffy's, and I simply don't understand @CreekImp13's continuing insistence that a healthy diet can't be lowish carbs. Heck, with our tiny stomachs, our diets are lowish everything! I aim for <50g carbs a day in veges, fruit, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. There's room there for occasional Beans, rice, lentils and hearty bread, but I do keep those portions small of necessity in order to meet Protein and vege/fruit goals (only so much room in the new tummy!). I find that I don't have the volume to rely on beans and legumes as a major source of protein, unless I supplement with Protein Shakes, which I feel isn't a good long-term solution for me. My plates are full of delicious, healthy stuff and my food plan feels very sustainable.

ETA: I also think we should all as a rule at least aim to be in the "normal" weight range as there is amply evidence that "overweight" carries significant health risks.

Edited by Apple203

Actually I started in January 2013 with the simple Dietdoctor.com protocol. I started at 251 lbs and by October 2013 I was down to 178 lbs, (height 5'7") which I was able to maintain for 3-4 years with no major effort on my part. My high blood pressure normalized within months after startin this woe, my skin got better, my moods got better ect. I just followed the Dietdoctor's keep your carbs low and eat real food protocol. But as years got by my underlying binge eating disorder got the best of me and first I started binging on Keto foods and soon even eating junk-food again and of-course I gained some weight. I found ketogains last summer and was able to lose 25 lbs in a month or two, but started binging again until I was back up at 224 lbs when I decided to have my sleeve in May this year. I'm a self pay patient and live in a European country. Now, 8 weeks post op I'm down to 187 lbs, my goal is to get to 154 lbs.
Although my binge eating failed my life's so far best weight loss effort aka keto, I can't blame this on the diet. Obesity and food addiction is a complex disease. Sensible keto is a great way to eat healthy nutritious real food and my sleeve is a great tool to help me keep myself on track.
2keto dudes actually have a great podcast episode dedicated to weight loss surgery and keto, where three lovely ladies share their experience with keto and sleeve surgery: http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=52
Thank you !

My diet is pretty similar to Fluffy's, and I simply don't understand@CreekImp13's continuing insistence that a healthy diet can't be lowish carbs. Heck, with our tiny stomachs, our diets are lowish everything! I aim for for me. My plates are full of delicious, healthy stuff and my food plan feels very sustainable.
ETA: I also think we should all as a rule at least aim to be in the "normal" weight range as there is amply evidence that "overweight" carries significant health risks.
A lot of us can't rely on meat for Protein either , I can easily easily easily eat my way to protein with other sources besides meat and dairy. I'm on no ones side here, I also came for info.

24 minutes ago, Tealael said:

A lot of us can't rely on meat for Protein either , I can easily easily easily eat my way to Protein with other sources besides meat and dairy. I'm on no ones side here, I also came for info.

Can you share how you do it? I'd love to learn some new ways to bring in protein!! I'm not crazy about Beans, generally, but I freakin' LOVE lentil soup! Unfortunately a cup of my favorite curried lentil Soup only has 8 grams of protein, so I usually throw a few shrimp in to bump up the protein.

ETA: I aim for a minimum of 15 grams of protein a meal, 4 meals a day -- its what my RD recommended and it seems to provide me the best satiety.

Edited by Apple203

@sleeve23may2018

I have a sincere question. Do you think the restrictions of keto/low carb exacerbated your binge eating?

Can you share how you do it? I'd love to learn some new ways to bring in protein!! I'm not crazy about Beans, generally, but I freakin' LOVE lentil soup! Unfortunately a cup of my favorite curried lentil Soup only has 8 grams of Protein, so I usually throw a few shrimp in to bump up the protein. ETA: I aim for a minimum of 15 grams of protein a meal, 4 meals a day -- its what my RD recommended and it seems to provide me the best satiety.

Damn i thought i replied but it never up loaded...https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-for-vegans-vegetarians

Pea protein, hemp hearts, tofu, chia, etc. Not single source.

Its going to cost you calorically but it can be done. Usually you have to plan very well and make your own foods. Example if you make falafel you can add ground hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax, pea protein, spices,etc. Stir fry mushrooms with fluffed buckwheat and quinoa. Eat with a hummus spread.

You will work harder (especially if you don't like legumes) but its possible. I have come to the very real conclusion that my time with animal protein is almost over, but I'm interested in Keto, I stopped by to see if I could do it for a short burst then try to vegetarian/vegan keto for a burst to break through anticipated plateaus

@sillykitty No, quite the contrary, these 3-4 years in maintenance on realfood Keto have been the longest time in my adult life that I’ve been able to live without binge eating. Which is why I’m sure it’s the best woe for me also now after having the sleeve.