Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy here, from Macon, GA and nervous as a cat in a room full of rockers

I'm in my early 40's and have dealt with weight issues my whole life. It is now affecting my lower back (sciatica) as well as dealing with BP issues. I'm just tired of dealing with it and am ready for a change. I have dieted, Nutri'System'ed it, and Weight Watched till I'm blue in the face. I enjoy good food but have come to an understanding that enjoying good food and having it in moderation are a problem.

I have surgery with Dr. Bagnato on July 27th. I have started the Sugar Busters plan and will go to my pre-op this Wednesday (July 18). I have been reading many, many threads dealing with this procedure and feel that (along with my doctor) this is the course of action to take.

I have a family that is very supportive but know that I will be on here ALOT to ask and to gleam info from.

Thank you all for allowing me to participate.

DK

Edited by rebchief

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

It sounds like you're heading down a positive path, emotionally and decision-wise.

It's great that you have a good support system; it makes the tough times easier.

Welcome! It sounds like you have the right mindset and are doing the research -- that puts you on the path to success. You're gonna do great!

On 7/16/2018 at 3:37 PM, rebchief said:

I'm in my early 40's and have dealt with weight issues my whole life. It is now affecting my lower back (sciatica) as well as dealing with BP issues. I'm just tired of dealing with it and am ready for a change. I have dieted, Nutri'System'ed it, and Weight Watched till I'm blue in the face. I enjoy good food but have come to an understanding that enjoying good food and having it in moderation are a problem.

I have surgery with Dr. Bagnato on July 27th. I have started the Sugar Busters plan and will go to my pre-op this Wednesday (July 18). I have been reading many, many threads dealing with this procedure and feel that (along with my doctor) this is the course of action to take.

I have a family that is very supportive but know that I will be on here ALOT to ask and to gleam info from.

DK

I'm with ya. I have my surgery Aug 1st. I am in my early 40's. Tired of the co morbities and I don't wanna die early. I am with you about moderation.

Hi welcome. Look up @JerseyJules on here or @BigViffer for a guy's perspective, and Jules has great youtube videos out there.

Good Luck

On 7/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, rebchief said:

DK

Best of luck to you! I know exactly where you are....I am 44, battled my weight for Years, BP meds for 10 Years, pre diabetic, sleep apnea, etc. Just 7 Months out, I am off BP meds, no longer pre diabetic and no longer have sleep apnea. Easily the best decision I have ever made for my health. I hope everything goes well for you

1 hour ago, beautifulmess said:

Which surgery are you having rebchief?

Gastric Sleeve

Land sakes hadn't heard that for a while, got another one that goes with my pen name Frustr8,"as frustrated as a wallpaperer with weak paste" At any rate, you are among friends here, anything you need answered, we will be happy to help. Some people get brave sooner than others, I will have my RnY September 5th At the age of 72 years 8 months and 10 days. Been seeking it since August 2015, a lot of twists, turns, a few roadblocks, quagmires, and a rollercoaster of emotion, in 6 weeks I'll have my satisfaction. I am ready to make my remaining years better, healthier, thinner and I hope fitter. That last for a redheaded post-menopausal broad might not be achievable, but I will try very hard.

"She saw a change needed to be made; and she did it!"

Hope you’re doing well! I’m in Macon to and have my first appointment later this week with Dr. Danny Vaughn who works though Medical Center - I’m really excited!

Sorry I am just now seeing this. Hope everything is going well. Heard great things about Vaughn!!!

There are 2 things also bad, a giraffe with a sore throat or a paperhanger with weak paste! Hoping Your Pre-Thanksgiving is going well! Smiles for Success😜😝😛

Had my first appointment and starting to check things off my requirements list! Hopefully this will put me in line to have the sleeve in May or June! Hope all is well your way to!

Meg if you have any questions/concerns, I'll do my best to help answer.

Hope you're doing well! How are you about 3 months out? I was reading over the packet the dietician gave me yesterday and i'm definitely going to need to work on some of the habits to make this process easier now. Cutting out carbonated drinks and caffeine will be biggies. I am nervous about the risks but I probably was at higher risk when I had a C-section back in the day so I keep telling myself that. How is your energy? I figure it will be a challenge the first six or so weeks but after that, are you able to stay hydrated easy enough? Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I wonder how those traditions around food will change or how I will change around those. Have a good one!