Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DECREASED expenses after the sleeve? Obviously food, but detail is requested

I understand your concerns, it all gets overwhelming. I spend more on food and Vitamins, but save because I am off one of my diabetic medication’s. I don’t eat out because I want to be careful with what food I am eating. I think you will find out it is worth every single dollar spent.

6 hours ago, ObesityBlows said:

what other ways did you save money after the surgery?

once you get down in size i find clothes are much cheaper now that i dont look for 4x.

if you go out and get clothes every time you drop a size in the beginning it will break you.

i went thru 4 belts but that was cheaper than new pants over and over.

Hi Ernie,

There are a number of costs that will be reduced at the same time it also depends on your spending habits overall. For me an expensive set of fairly large clothes is no longer needed at all. The comparison in clothing costs alone is a fraction of larger size items 6X etc compared to 2X. For me carbonated bevs. are also not needed and due to old soda habits they were elimenated long ago. Not using as many medications is another expense that will be reduced. it was awesome and gratifying to buy size 38 shorts recently (cost was 4 dollars compared to nearly 50 for same material in a 4X). Fast food has been fairly reduced and the typical chains like burger joints are no longer frequented by me. You will save ALOT depending on your fiscal habits etc. Some new costs associated with cooking more while adding more variety is a happy trade for your improved life and health overall. It def was and is for me.

And on the end of you really can't afford the 13k in the states... Medical tourism
*in *if

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

On 07/16/2018 at 13:05, sillykitty said:

I get it :)

I do spend more on groceries, more produce and Protein Powder, bars, etc. aren't cheap. But I spend a lot less on dining out and home delivery. Net net, I'm sure I spend less overall. I wasted a lot of money in the beginning with liquids, pureed, soft foods I stocked up on but didn't eat. Also I wasted money on Protein products that I couldn't stand the taste of. So buy as small of quantities as possible to avoid waste.

One savings is on clothes, after you replace your wardrobe of course. Regular size clothes are cheaper than plus size. Plus there are a lot more options, easier to bargain hunt.

You nailed it. I agree completely.

I have been in the same boat, trying to making this same decision. In addition to the other great comments in this thread, here are few more things I considered that might be helpful...

1. How much have you spent on other 'diets' weight watchers, slim fast, cookie diet, pre-packaged programs, etc.? I know I am in the thousands of dollars over my lifetime. Spending money to lose weight using some gimmick, only to gain it right back - plus some. And I know I would most likely do it again. I feel surgery will help with all the yo-yo garbage and set me on the right track.

2. While you may not initially spend less, your weight loss may lead to higher earnings. It is so sad, but so much discrimination being overweight. I know I have been looked over because of how I look: http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20161130-fat-people-earn-less-and-have-a-harder-time-finding-work

Best of luck on your decision!

Before the surgery due to also having IBS which really messed with my intestines I literally had a war with eating and digesting food. What was good for diabetes such as fresh fruits and vegetables kicked in my IBS and what calms down IBS like potatoes rice etc isn't great for diabetes. Since the surgery it improved both diseases to the point of where I am now. Plus your body goes through a hormonal change with the surgery and most diabetics have improved results. Some folks even leave the hospital with no more. Diabetic meds. Have your husband speak to a surgeon. Best wishes .

4 hours ago, Mommy.Is.Losing.It said:

2. While you may not initially spend less, your weight loss may lead to higher earnings. It is so sad, but so much discrimination being overweight. I know I have been looked over because of how I look: http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20161130-fat-people-earn-less-and-have-a-harder-time-finding-work

This is a fantastic point. I have no doubt that being more fit and conventionally attractive will benefit my career & earnings.

5 hours ago, Mommy.Is.Losing.It said:
40 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

This is a fantastic point. I have no doubt that being more fit and conventionally attractive will benefit my career & earnings.

Thank you both for your responses. I spoke with my MIL who had this surgery yesterday. She told me that one of her deciding factors was her career. I'm a 6'4" male who carries weight very well and have been told by my leadership that my size and demeanor demand attention, so as a big guy, somehow they're saying it doesn't affect me. I know this is unique. That's why I'm trying to focus on the things that really matter--my health, enjoying my kids' youth, being around to watch my children grow up, and finally be comfortable in my own skin.

This thread has been helpful to me. Based on what I'm reading, I might not experience that much decrease in spending, but I really shouldn't see an increase. As a person who's been eating Keto off an on for a long time, I'm used to expensive grocery bills. Hopefully the quantity I buy will decrease. I think I have enough Protein powder to last me a few months as is.

Thank you both for your responses. I spoke with my MIL who had this surgery yesterday. She told me that one of her deciding factors was her career. I'm a 6'4" male who carries weight very well and have been told by my leadership that my size and demeanor demand attention, so as a big guy, somehow they're saying it doesn't affect me. I know this is unique. That's why I'm trying to focus on the things that really matter--my health, enjoying my kids' youth, being around to watch my children grow up, and finally be comfortable in my own skin.

This thread has been helpful to me. Based on what I'm reading, I might not experience that much decrease in spending, but I really shouldn't see an increase. As a person who's been eating Keto off an on for a long time, I'm used to expensive grocery bills. Hopefully the quantity I buy will decrease. I think I have enough Protein Powder to last me a few months as is.
Have you considered medical tourism ? It's like 1/3 the price...

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

I have no medical problems (yet) other than obesity, but I justified the cost by thinking about all the future medical costs I will have if I don’t get this weight off. Medications, ER visits, hospital stays, home health etc.. etc...

For what it’s worth, I feel like I’m spending a TON less on food, as a guy who would order big lunches and dinners at work, I could easily spend up to $50/d on delivered meals at work. That’s gone now - I bought a $15 quart of delivered spicy Korean Soup that lasted me 5 meals!...No copay on BP meds, no fast-food stops, no bagel before work, it all definitely adds up.

You won't have to spend your life's savings or retirement fund for nursing care to get your obese body in the shower, wipe your bum, you won't be riding a scooter cuz your knees and hips wore out from the weight, you won't break expensive furniture, your mattress will last longer....

2 hours ago, elmatador said:

For what it’s worth, I feel like I’m spending a TON less on food, as a guy who would order big lunches and dinners at work, I could easily spend up to $50/d on delivered meals at work. That’s gone now - I bought a $15 quart of delivered spicy Korean Soup that lasted me 5 meals!...No copay on BP meds, no fast-food stops, no bagel before work, it all definitely adds up.

This is kinda what I was expecting. Thanks for your response!