Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is tomorrow!!! I’m so excited and a bit scared! What should I expect pain wise?

im also nervous about being depressed without food... is anyone else feel like this pre op?

Congrats! And good luck.

Ask for a scopolamine patch for nausea before surgery - works amazing.

For pain, ask for paracetamol in an IV 1000mg - also works great. If pain breaks through that they will give you a narcotic like dilaudid, but likely you won't need it. You will be incredibly thirsty and have a dry mouth from the surgery, ask for biotene swabs, ice chips if allowed.

Yes, you will mourn some food loss, and food volume - you will adjust and be fine. If not - seek counseling, seriously we all have food issues. But you WANT this surgery, NEED this surgery, and you will be successful - follow the surgeon's plan. Good luck.

I was soooo nervous pre op I was actually shaking as they were putting in my IV. I didn't have a lot of pain after they kept me medicated. The hardest thing that I have found is getting Proteins in at 3 weeks unfortunately the choices are not very tasty.

If you've been following this forum, many post-op bypass patients actually lose their appetites. I'm one of them.

Have you ever been through childbirth? Have you ever had any surgery before? In general, how do you handle everyday aches and pains?

My surgery is tomorrow morning... I already know I will receive the nausea patch behind my ear (forgot the name). I also will have self administered iv pain meds after surgery (of course within time constraints).

I’m not nervous or concerned about the surgery itself. I’m just wondering how the tool and everything is going to work and effect me afterward.

I was a nervous wreck the night before surgery and finally decided to deep breath and calm down. I had faith in my surgeon and the hospital team who would be working on me. I had done my research on the boards and knew that I would probably be in pain when I came out of surgery but I would have the PCA pump and addl meds if needed. All turned out absolutely fine. I’m post op day five now and doing great. Being nervous is totally normal. Meditate. Deep breathe. Take a walk. This is a glorious new beginning!

Congrats and good luck!

i had no nerves pre-op...I just wanted my restful sleep under anesthesia lol.

dont worry about food so much, I was for post-op and let me tell you....it’s andifferent ball game! I was not expecting this but it’s a good change.

I went to lunch today and ate two forkfuls of my grilled chicken garden salad & had enough. I wasn’t full, but I got tired of it or I was satisfied. I still don’t know. But I had leftovers. I came home to put the salad and the fridge and there wasn’t any room! lol my fridge is full of leftovers; this past week we had a lot of events to attend so leftovers like whoa.

But embrace it. It’s mind boggling and fun at the same time. Like a roller coaster ride for sure

Thanks for all this encouragement I am so excited and thrilled that I have you guys to learn from!!!

i am not nervous about the surgery itself... but how I will do!? Everyone is different and I’m gonna follow everything to a T!!

2 hours ago, stacy71 said:

My surgery is tomorrow morning... I already know I will receive the nausea patch behind my ear (forgot the name). I also will have self administered iv pain meds after surgery (of course within time constraints).

I’m not nervous or concerned about the surgery itself. I’m just wondering how the tool and everything is going to work and effect me afterward.

Good luck!!! Let me know how it goes I’ll come back and inform everyone of how mine is!

3 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

If you've been following this forum, many post-op bypass patients actually lose their appetites. I'm one of them.

Have you ever been through childbirth? Have you ever had any surgery before? In general, how do you handle everyday aches and pains?

I have went through child birth and it was horrible!!!!! Lol

bo authors unless a D&C counts to remove polyps. I did go under but they went vaginally and I had no pain after.

6 hours ago, Chelsey602 said:

Surgery is tomorrow!!! I’m so excited and a bit scared! What should I expect pain wise?

im also nervous about being depressed without food... is anyone else feel like this pre op?

Good luck! Mine is tomorrow too! Soooooo excited!! And yes I guess it’s the food addiction, I keep thinking about NOT having food, certain foods etc, too!

Edited by MissPriss81

Good luck tomorrow! Mine is the 31st and I know I’m a pain baby so I’m nervous but I watched my husband have RNY 17 days ago. He was in pain right after but with the morphine pump and continuous Tylenol IV - it got better. He was up 4 hrs afterward walking the halls like a champ! As a nurse I know the importance of staying in front of the pain and this is what I would encourage. Take the meds at the suggested time even if you aren’t in pain the first few days. He only took oxy for 3 days and has been good ever since. He did religiously walk / even if it was midnight and just around our culdesac. It’s good for reducing risk for blood clots but also dissipating the gas - which I’ve heard is the big part of pain and uncomfortableness . Good luck! You got this!

Edited by BTmom

Good luck! Mine is Tuesday and I’m freaking out a bit!

Good luck all! It’s over before you know it and by about day 3 or 4 the gas pain subsided and you turn a bit of a corner.

You’ll likely not even be hungry but Follow the team’s instructions and you’ll be fine. You’ll be amazed at the journey once you get settled in

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, BTmom said:

Good luck tomorrow! Mine is the 31st and I know I’m a pain baby so I’m nervous but I watched my husband have RNY 17 days ago. He was in pain right after but with the morphine pump and continuous Tylenol IV - it got better. He was up 4 hrs afterward walking the halls like a champ! As a nurse I know the importance of staying in front of the pain and this is what I would encourage. Take the meds at the suggested time even if you aren’t in pain the first few days. He only took oxy for 3 days and has been good ever since. He did religiously walk / even if it was midnight and just around our culdesac. It’s good for reducing risk for blood clots but also dissipating the gas - which I’ve heard is the big part of pain and uncomfortableness . Good luck! You got this!

I’m here in the waiting room!!!! I’m scheduled at 10:00 AM!!! I’m getting very excited to start my new life!