Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kids and food

Man, I've got a lot of rants...

LOL

Got to thinking about kids and food and how we often say "I don't want to put my family on a diet just because I am...that's not fair" "I want to be a fun mom and give my kids a childhood...they don't need restrictions. They're kids, for Pete's sake!"

And ya know....I was this Mom.

And so was my mom. Ouch.

She taught me that food=comfort and love. Ouch.

She taught me that food=happiness. Ouch.

She taught me that fun and celebration and warmth and good times were based around food. Ouch.

She taught me that treats like candy and McDonalds are what you get for enduring the doctor's office, going someplace unpleasant, have a bad day, get hurt, need comfort. Ouch.

She taught me to cook for everyone, bring treats to neighbors, feed people at work, list everything in the pantry to house guests, make their favorites, cook exquisite resplendent meals.....because feeding people means....you love them/appreciate them/want their respect/want to comfort them and put them at ease.

She taught me to find out everyone's favorite drink and favorite snack...and to stock it when they visit. Everyone's favorite candy had to go in their stocking. Everyone's favorite snack at the slumber party. Everyone's favorite topping on their quarter of the pizza. Everyone's favorite ice cream...

it didn't hurt me, did it?

Wait...I ended up needing bariatric surgery for being morbidly obese. Oh. Crap.

We need to rethink some of this stuff, folks.

The thing about our kids? They share our genetics. Think about that. They've already got a genetic predisposition to obesity, even if they're thin now. We can't change that.

But we CAN change their eating habits. We can change the ideas around food at our houses. We can change what we buy and what we teach them to eat regularly.

We can give our kids a legacy of shopping farmers markets and helping them learn to cook really fun and satisfying foods with fruits and veggies.

We can teach them to feed themselves good quality foods in appropriate amounts.

We can pack them healthy lunches with more whole foods and less crap.

We can change the theme of our home food culture....push for more activity and less candy. More walks and hikes and exploration, fewer video games and Netflix marathons. More bowls of cut up veggies in the fridge and fewer bowls of chips and Cookies on the counter.

We can change our celebrations to showcase fun activities, healthier Snacks, more focus on togetherness, less focus on stuffing each other.

"I don't want to put my family on a diet just because I am".......might need more thought.

"I'm changing our entire household's eating habits because I want this cycle to end. I don't want them to face the issues I did. I want their lives and their relationship with food to be better than mine."

Sometimes I think when we continue to feed our families junk while we diet....we create this feedback loop of longing for the comfort we feel we're giving them. And it's messed up...because again, it lacks compassion for ourselves. It continues to give food power and emphasis. Worse...it TEACHES that food is comfort and love....And it doesn't break the cycle:(

I'm not saying kids shouldn't have treats and balance and junk food once in a while. God knows they will. LOL. And it's fine.

I'm just sayin....we could do a lot to improve their everyday diets in ways that would serve them well in life. We could give them better skills and better prepare them for taking care of their health. We can provide a better normal.

Do some thinking today about the food culture at your house growing up, the food culture you give your kids currently...and the food culture you hope your kids will have when they grow up. It's worth considering.

Edited by Creekimp13

Man, I've got a lot of rants...
LOL
Got to thinking about kids and food and how we often say "I don't want to put my family on a diet just because I am...that's not fair" "I want to be a fun mom and give my kids a childhood...they don't need restrictions. They're kids, for Pete's sake!"
And ya know....I was this Mom.
And so was my mom. Ouch.
She taught me that food=comfort and love. Ouch.
She taught me that food=happiness. Ouch.
She taught me that fun and celebration and warmth and good times were based around food. Ouch.
She taught me that treats like candy and McDonalds are what you get for enduring the doctor's office, going someplace unpleasant, have a bad day, get hurt, need comfort. Ouch.
She taught me to cook for everyone, bring treats to neighbors, feed people at work, list everything in the pantry to house guests, make their favorites, cook exquisite resplendent meals.....because feeding people means....you love them/appreciate them/want their respect/want to comfort them and put them at ease.
She taught me to find out everyone's favorite drink and favorite snack...and to stock it when they visit. Everyone's favorite candy had to go in their stocking. Everyone's favorite snack at the slumber party. Everyone's favorite topping on their quarter of the pizza. Everyone's favorite ice cream...
it didn't hurt me, did it?
Wait...I ended up needing bariatric surgery for being morbidly obese. Oh. Crap.
We need to rethink some of this stuff, folks.
The thing about our kids? They share our genetics. Think about that. They've already got a genetic predisposition to obesity, even if they're thin now. We can't change that.
But we CAN change their eating habits. We can change the ideas around food at our houses. We can change what we buy and what we teach them to eat regularly.
We can give our kids a legacy of shopping farmers markets and helping them learn to cook really fun and satisfying foods with fruits and veggies.
We can teach them to feed themselves good quality foods in appropriate amounts.
We can pack them healthy lunches with more whole foods and less crap.
We can change the theme of our home food culture....push for more activity and less candy. More walks and hikes and exploration, fewer video games and Netflix marathons. More bowls of cut up veggies in the fridge and fewer bowls of chips and Cookies on the counter.
We can change our celebrations to showcase fun activities, healthier Snacks, more focus on togetherness, less focus on stuffing each other.
"I don't want to put my family on a diet just because I am".......might need more thought.
"I'm changing our entire household's eating habits because I want this cycle to end. I don't want them to face the issues I did. I want their lives and their relationship with food to be better than mine."
Sometimes I think when we continue to feed our families junk while we diet....we create this feedback loop of longing for the comfort we feel we're giving them. And it's messed up...because again, it lacks compassion for ourselves. It continues to give food power and emphasis. Worse...it TEACHES that food is comfort and love....And it doesn't break the cycle:(
I'm not saying kids shouldn't have treats and balance and junk food once in a while. God knows they will. LOL. And it's fine.
I'm just sayin....we could do a lot to improve their everyday diets in ways that would serve them well in life. We could give them better skills and better prepare them for taking care of their health. We can provide a better normal.
Do some thinking today about the food culture at your house growing up, the food culture you give your kids currently...and the food culture you hope your kids will have when they grow up. It's worth considering.
Interesting perspective

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

I don't have kids, so I can't comment on that part

I can say though that my family does not have a big food culture. Of course we have holidays and what not, but no big groaning table of food on a regular basis. Food was never treated as a a reward or a comfort. My food education went wrong in a different way. The most important attributes of food when growing up was tasty and easy/quick. No emphasis at all on healthfulness.

This part though:

"She taught me to cook for everyone, bring treats to neighbors, feed people at work, list everything in the pantry to house guests, make their favorites, cook exquisite resplendent meals.....because feeding people means....you love them/appreciate them/want their respect/want to comfort them and put them at ease."

I don't agree that is a problem, or something that should or even can be changed. This is the culture literally all over the world. We welcome people, we make them feel loved/wanted/appreciated by inviting them in to our home and feeding them. It has been that way since the beginning of time, hence the term "breaking bread" with someone.

Even in business, we don't build relationship across a conference table. We invite people out and we eat a drink. Walls come down when we do this. It's human nature.

I don't think the hospitality aspect of food is the problem. Those occasions, like holidays are rare enough that they should be able to be worked into a healthy diet. It's the chronic poor choices that are the issue IMO

I don't believe my children are genetically predisposed to obesity (the opposite actually) and there is no huge poor food culture in my house hold either, but still an interesting topic to be discussed

Regardless of genetics (my husband is genetically a beanpole so who knows where my kids will end up) no Kid NEEDS the crap that is the Standard American Diet (SAD).

My whole family changed when I had surgery. Sure my 15 year old still goes to In and Out with his buddies and orders pizza once in a while. Heck I even buy him Cheetos now and then. But none of that is a daily thing anymore. Nothing is forbidden, I just don’t buy it it’s not in the House. They eat what I eat plus some whole grains and fruits and Pasta and whatnot. Why not?

And as for caring with food... it can be done, but it’s a balance. Perfect example... when my little sister was about five she pulled on the cord of an Iron and brought it down on her forehead, needed some stitches. After the hospital trip Mom said “let’s go get some ice cream to make it feel better.” Well we did. Guess what? My sister looked at the cone and had a weird look on her face. She raised the ice cream to her forehead and smashed it onto her newly stitched up cut. Well, how else would it make it feel better? That’s rational!

BTW that sister probably weighs more than 300lbs right now. Genetics? Maybe. Probably even. But not completely.

Regardless of genetics (my husband is genetically a beanpole so who knows where my kids will end up) no Kid NEEDS the crap that is the Standard American Diet (SAD).

My whole family changed when I had surgery. Sure my 15 year old still goes to In and Out with his buddies and orders pizza once in a while. Heck I even buy him Cheetos now and then. But none of that is a daily thing anymore. Nothing is forbidden, I just don’t buy it it’s not in the House. They eat what I eat plus some whole grains and fruits and Pasta and whatnot. Why not?

And as for caring with food... it can be done, but it’s a balance. Perfect example... when my little sister was about five she pulled on the cord of an Iron and brought it down on her forehead, needed some stitches. After the hospital trip Mom said “let’s go get some ice cream to make it feel better.” Well we did. Guess what? My sister looked at the cone and had a weird look on her face. She raised the ice cream to her forehead and smashed it onto her newly stitched up cut. Well, how else would it make it feel better? That’s rational!

BTW that sister probably weighs more than 300lbs right now. Genetics? Maybe. Probably even. But not completely.
Sounds like genetics and conditioning...

On 07/14/2018 at 22:03, Tealael said:

Sounds like genetics and conditioning...

Exactly

Okay, not my kids, but working in an alternative school K-12 with average 60-70 students and a 98% poverty rate, has raised some eyebrows for me when it comes to nutrition. Last school year we had the district dietitian give classes. The students at my school are not allowed to bring their own lunch and many have never been to a sit down restaurant. About 90% of the students throw away the fruits and vegetables every day (we offer ranch dressing and encourage them to eat them, but no dice). The teachers and principal offer hot chips, Cereal bars, Cookies, and assorted other processed Snacks as rewards for doing school work and behaving appropriately. Treats such as pizza or ice cream are a regular thing for students with good attendance and behavior all week. We have a weekend back pack pack program with some healthy Soups (sometimes even organic) and there is usually a few snack items. The students just want the snack items. All they eat is processed food and we wonder why they have ADHD and other issues...

The dietitian made them smoothies with fruits and vegetables. I think she got through to a few of the girls, but the boys were either showboating or just didn't get it. All the students were in agreement that the drinks needed more sugar.

I was eating a full sized carrot at lunch one day and a middle school boy asked me what it was. I told him and he looked confused and got his baby carrot from his lunch and wanted to know what happened to mine. I guess if he has been to the store at all they skip the produce isle...

We got a greenhouse put in over the summer, so these kids are going grow and learn about food. I don't think I can change the food reward culture though...

It also does not help that the SNAP card (food stamps) are now accepted at many fast food chains in Texas. I would rather they spent it on steak and lobster from HEB.

1 hour ago, okayestmom said:

It also does not help that the SNAP card (food stamps) are now accepted at many fast food chains in Texas. I would rather they spent it on steak and lobster from HEB.

Actually SNAP (food stamps) cannot be used on prepared food. So fast food restaurants cannot accept SNAP.

What you see is signs on fast food restaurants "EBT Accepted". EBT is Electronic Benefit Transfer. That's the new version of a welfare check. So a person on government assistance is issued a debit card, and loaded on to it is either or both, "food stamps" (SNAP) and "welfare" (EBT). The "welfare" benefit can be used without restriction, pulled out of an ATM as cash for example. But the SNAP benefit is restricted as to what it can be used on, non prepared foods only.

I've been thinking on this topic, especially related to the international traveling I've done. I've been thinking about how important food is to cultures all over the world. It is part of a culture's identity. And these food cultures aren't all about salads and lean meats either, it's often carby and fatty.

So why can so many places around the world have food as a central part of their lives, but not have the obesity problem the US has?

I think a big factor is activity level. Day to day activity, walking, biking, etc. is what is missing from the US culture. Not that food is too central to our identity, it's that day to day activity isn't central enough. In the US we go to the gym to get our exercise in, so that takes extra effort, it's easy to skip it. But in the rest of the world, gyms are few and far between. People get their exercise in by walking to work, biking to work, taking a stroll after dinner. So activity is part of their daily lives, not an extra stop, and extra chore at the end of our busy day, and that we have to pay for.

I've been thinking on this topic, especially related to the international traveling I've done. I've been thinking about how important food is to cultures all over the world. It is part of a culture's identity. And these food cultures aren't all about salads and lean meats either, it's often carby and fatty.
So why can so many places around the world have food as a central part of their lives, but not have the obesity problem the US has?
I think a big factor is activity level. Day to day activity, walking, biking, etc. is what is missing from the US culture. Not that food is too central to our identity, it's that day to day activity isn't central enough. In the US we go to the gym to get our exercise in, so that takes extra effort, it's easy to skip it. But in the rest of the world, gyms are few and far between. People get their exercise in by walking to work, biking to work, taking a stroll after dinner. So activity is part of their daily lives, not an extra stop, and extra chore at the end of our busy day, and that we have to pay for.
True but I also believe that the ingredients added to common foods in America vary greatly from other countries...

55 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Actually SNAP (food stamps) cannot be used on prepared food. So fast food restaurants cannot accept SNAP.

What you see is signs on fast food restaurants "EBT Accepted". EBT is Electronic Benefit Transfer. That's the new version of a welfare check. So a person on government assistance is issued a debit card, and loaded on to it is either or both, "food stamps" (SNAP) and "welfare" (EBT). The "welfare" benefit can be used without restriction, pulled out of an ATM as cash for example. But the SNAP benefit is restricted as to what it can be used on, non prepared foods only.

Learned something new. I have seen the snap card used at Papa Murphie's take and bake pizza, but I guess technically that is non-prepared because you have to put it in the oven.

Once the rotisserie chickens at Wal-Martha's been refrigerated they set them back out and you can get them on an EBT card or Snap. Don't quite seem right.

Both take and bake pizza and cold rotisserie chicken would qualify for SNAP

Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:
food that will be eaten in the store
Hot foods

@Frustr8 Cold rotisserie chicken is convenient, healthy and a pretty good value. Why shouldn't it be eligible?