Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I purchased a couple new pairs of jeans yesterday- they are a size I haven’t worn since my early 20’s. I’m hesitant to purge and get rid of my clothes that are too big for me. I think my history of the yo-yo weight issue has me scared. What to do? I’m not ready for a whole new wardrobe until I get to my goal weight.

I've been purging everything as I go down in sizes. If it doesn't fit and I'm not going to alter it, then it goes.

6 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I've been purging everything as I go down in sizes. If it doesn't fit and I'm not going to alter it, then it goes.

I should probably do the same. I think I need to get my head in the right place and realize that my yo-yo days are behind me😉

I had this favorite pair of cargo capri pants....have worn them the last five summers cause they have perfect pockets....ya know, a place for my cell phone, a place to stuff a waterbottle, a zippered spot for a credit card and cash....just a really cool pair of summer pants!

I took a shoelace and threaded it through the belt loops and cinched them together. The effect was ghastly...the fabric all bunched up and weird.....but that part was under my shirt, and it kept them from falling off my butt...so I figured...meh, why not? I mean, they started to resemble roomy bloomers cinched at the waist with a hunk of clothesline...lol...but those POCKETS! Why in the hell don't clothing designers give women decent pockets? What sick jerk thought up the idea of sewed shut vanity pockets?

Just a couple weeks ago I finally thought about saying goodbye to my size 22 wonder pants.....cause I found something super similar at Kohls...and the 16s fit perfect:) (My bestie said the 14s were a better fit, but I like cargos loose)

Was kinda hard to throw them away. I mean...after five years of wear and misshaped stressed belt loops...it's not like Goodwill wants them. They were too faithful to put in the trash. They served me SO well!

In the end I chickened out and stuck them in my bottom drawer. I'm telling myself they'll be what I reach for the next time I want to paint or do rough yard work or get greasy.

I doubt I will....they're crazy loose. Without tying the waist up, they literally fall off me.

But I love them. I always felt sexy in them...even at 270.

I have a few shirts like that, too.....weird emotional connections to my old life. Stuff I just can't quite let go yet.

For the most part, I've been good about sending stuff consigment or goodwill.

But a few things just need to hang out a year or so more before I get rid of them for good.

No idea why. I just still need that identity bridge.

Edited by Creekimp13

I know what you mean Dubbs, in my garage is a large blue tote packed solid with my 'FAT' cloths.

i sit here at the same weight i was during my 20's but i still haven't let that tote go.

The mental games we play never cease to amaze me.

1 year just does not feel real enough i guess. after a lifetime of ever slowly increasing weight it is difficult to believe this wont end the same as all other attempts to lose weight ended.

I know its different and i can tell myself all the reasons that it is different this time but that tote still sits there waiting for me to f**k this one up like all the rest.

screw the pre op diet lets go with the post op counselling for all the mental gymnastics we put ourselves thru.

post op is all mental and i just hope at the end of the day to shot par for life's course.

good luck on your next round.

If you don't purge, where are you going to put all the new clothes you are going to buy?

3 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

If you don't purge, where are you going to put all the new clothes you are going to buy?

Exactly!

I've actually had to get rid of new clothes I've bought, because they've outgrown me now as well!

Goodwill and thrift shops are good places to shop if you are transitioning and don't want to spend bookoo bucks on a new wardrobe JS. ;)

9 hours ago, Dubbs said:

I purchased a couple new pairs of jeans yesterday- they are a size I haven’t worn since my early 20’s. I’m hesitant to purge and get rid of my clothes that are too big for me. I think my history of the yo-yo weight issue has me scared. What to do? I’m not ready for a whole new wardrobe until I get to my goal weight.

The way I feel about it, I got rid of stuff because if I ever have to buy bigger clothes, it will be a reasonable punishment to have to rebuy larger clothing.

Save one of your favorites so you can take this kind of photo—Creek you can do it with those cargoes. I saved my favorite shirt too—I could belt it and wear it as a dress.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

I saved 1 pair of pants at my largest size for the same reason Jess9395 did. I want to be able to show myself how far I've come.

As of this week, I'm down 2 pants sizes. I'm purging as I go. Gave them all to a friend who works at a women's shelter.

Haven't had to buy much so far, because I have that "I will wear this again someday" section of the closet. As of yesterday, my "I will wear this again someday" section is mostly empty. So, a clothes shopping trip is in my foreseeable future :D

I say, get over that fear that you will re-gain. Get rid of the clothes and keep moving forward!

I've purged five trashbags worth of clothes, so many still had TAGS on them! I clearly have issues.

On that note... I'm down to like 5 rotating outfits LOL.

It’s therapy to donate it all....-a beautiful right of passage. I felt amazing each time I let more go. Never going back there.... felt great to not keep multiple sizes for the different phases of “me” 😊

Plus... just think of the awesome tax break on clothing donations this year ! 😂

One kinda funny thing....

I keep raiding my daughter's closet. All those cool clothes I bought her that she never really liked...are MINE! LOLOLOLOL.

She has this one really awesome dark brown leather fitted blazer that I want...but so far she keeps clutching it and glaring at me.

"You can borrow it Mom. BORROW! Buy your own damned clothes, Woman! OH MY GOD, are you wearing my underwear?"