Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 mo post op, 10 wks pregnant. Help!

Help! I had VSG in Feb and have been losing weight steadily, wasn’t always meeting my protein/water goals but getting close, lost about 60 lb. That all changed 2 mo ago when I found out I was pregnant! Definitely wasn’t planned so soon after surgery, but here I am. At first I was so worried that I had gone through so much to lose weight with VSG and now would ruin my weight loss... but for the past 2 mo I’ve barely been able to eat. I’m not nauseous or vomiting, but after a few bites I can’t eat anything, I feel queasy or very full. Before I could eat 2-4 oz of chicken, now I can barely have 1.5 oz. I thought this would go away by now by everyday I feel weak, I’m getting in so little Protein everyday. I’m losing weight at the same rate, maybe a little faster. Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Any advice? This baby wasn’t planned but is very much wanted and I’m scared if I can’t find a way to eat more the baby won’t get the nutrition it needs. Any and all help is appreciated!

Your story illustrates why listening to your doctor's advice about pregnancy is not "optional". You are facing some serious dangerous challenges that could have extremely serious consequences.

You need professional intervention. Talk to your doctor immediately and get some professional referrals. Your best odds....are to start listening to medical advice and following it to the letter.

First off, Congratulations!

Not specifically related to WLS, just pregnancy, but we were told that the baby will pretty much always get what it needs, even if it robs it from you. With my twins, I puked my guts out for 18 weeks straight and they went full term, full-size. At this point, the baby is the size of your fingernail. It's requirements are minimal.

Try to find some form of Protein you can tolerate - shakes, protein Water, shooters, Fairlife chocolate milk, whatever.

You may have to eat more slider foods than are normally recommended to get in enough nutrition. You can usually eat more shakes and similar than solid foods and you can get plenty of nutrition there.

Good luck and best wishes!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Cat Mama let us know after you do whether we are going to have a god-niece or nephew. You take of yourself and that precious Kitten you are carrying. We are excited for you!

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the tips. I’m just extra nervous considering the situation. Don’t want to mess up.

For the record @creekimp13 I was “following medical advice” I was on birth control. It failed. I’ve already talked to my doctors and my surgeons and the nutritionist. They haven’t been very helpful so thanks but no thanks for the lack of advice and support. Everyone on my medical team has said this happens sometimes, it’s known this surgery can increase your fertility. And btw I work in medicine so I’m aware of the risks, hence the birth control.

On 07/12/2018 at 20:14, CatMama210 said:

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the tips. I’m just extra nervous considering the situation. Don’t want to mess up.

For the record @creekimp13 I was “following medical advice” I was on birth control. It failed. I’ve already talked to my doctors and my surgeons and the nutritionist. They haven’t been very helpful so thanks but no thanks for the lack of advice and support. Everyone on my medical team has said this happens sometimes, it’s known this surgery can increase your fertility. And btw I work in medicine so I’m aware of the risks, hence the birth control.
Ahh congratulations on the bump! It sounds like at this point, an obgyn’s perspective may be more helpful than your Bariatric surgeon’s.

Stuff like this is why I went and got the Kyleena- because I could totally see this sort of thing happening to me. That said, as you mentioned, it is a super common phenomenon post wls... and from what I’ve saw- it usually ends up perfectly fine with a healthy baby and a healthy mom.

My understanding is that the big reason why they don’t want us getting pregnant within the first two years is because this is when we can lose the most from the surgery and not so much that it’s dangerous to the baby.

So take a deep breath, exhale and sip, sip, sip.

I’m 11 months post op and 18 weeks pregnant, also not planned and did not think it would ever happen, my periods were non existent before and after surgery. The preaching about waiting is annoying, we know we have to wait! some of us didn’t plan it or think it would happen but guess what, shit happens. I will say I’m healthy except I’m concerned about getting in enough calories for the baby but my doctors are watching me closely and so far so good. 🖤

44 minutes ago, courtb86 said:

I’m 11 months post op and 18 weeks pregnant, also not planned and did not think it would ever happen, my periods were non existent before and after surgery. The preaching about waiting is annoying, we know we have to wait! some of us didn’t plan it or think it would happen but guess what, **** happens. I will say I’m healthy except I’m concerned about getting in enough calories for the baby but my doctors are watching me closely and so far so good. 🖤

Congratulations on your pending bundle of joy! Best wishes that all goes smoothly!

I was not in your situation because I was over 2 years out before I got pregnant. I did eat more carbs during that time though to get in enough calories. Sometimes meat or Protein Shakes made me gag, especially early on. Make sure you take your Vitamins, eat as best as you can. I had my 2nd baby in December and I am pregnant again. We tried for the baby that was born in December, but this one was a surprise. Hopefully in a couple of weeks you will feel like eating more. The first trimester kinda sucks.