Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

more post-op pain than i expected

hi-

i had the gastric sleeve on monday and was discharged yesterday (tuesday) afternoon. i think i was so focused on getting approved for surgery and overcoming my nerves to make it through it, that i didn't give a ton of thought regarding the post-op. i figured i'd feel tired and sore, but not like this. it's now day 3, the pain is excruciating when i get in/our of bed.

last night i discovered that a reclining chair in our office is easier to get in/out of so i've been spending most of my time here. i'm still incredibly sore/in pain, but am staying on top of taking my liquid tylenol every 6 hours and pain meds every 4 (as needed). i've also started taking my Vitamins. i'm doing pretty well with my Water intake. i'm struggling with the Protein Shakes but i'm really working on it, because i'm hoping the Protein will help my body heal.

has anyone experienced more post-op pain than they expected? if so, when did this stage pass for you?

thank you!

liz

Would you say you are over-doing it? It's possible that you are just exerting yourself a bit too much. I'm still pre-op so I cannot speak to VSG pain, but I have had four major abdominal surgeries since 1995 - three open with a midline incision and the fourth. laparoscopically. I can tell you that any abdominal surgery is a huge strain on the body and pain is sometimes a way for the brain to tell you to ease up a bit. If you had laparoscopically, they still had to move things around inside your abdomen to access everything.

As for when my pain subsided, it was different for all four. I sorry I do not have any more concrete answer for you... hopefully, others will chime in.

Edited by macadamia

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I don’t think I’m doing too much- I’m pretty much in recliner or in bed for most of the day. I get up (with significant help) to use the bathroom and take short walks to prevent blood clots. I’m not able to lay on my side at all and I can’t even sit myself up without help. It’s so frustrating and sore! It was done laparoscopically so I I expected soreness but I didn’t think I’d be so immobile and in so much pain. It’s justnbeen frustrating- I’m trying to take it one day at a time.

I had the same. Pain meds don't work for me. Even though the pain is really bad, get up and walk more. The muscles need to be flexible. They will stiffen up if you baby them by staying in the recliner, which is exactly what I did. I now work on a transplant unit and understand better.

oh wow, thank you for the tip! i'll try to push through the pain and walk more frequently! hopefully that will help.

I was in so much more pain than i ever expected! I woke up from surgery feeling as though someone took a steak knife to my stomach! I just remember moaning and groaning so loud. I was so sick and needed to throw up but there was nothing there to throw up.

Walking did help but the pain was so bad for the first three days but then started to get better day by day. I couldn't sleep laying down at all for about a week. I couldn't get up the pain was so bad so i slept in a recliner. I took pain med for about 4 days then just otc meds.

I read where some people have little pain and I envy them. I felt like such a big baby. I always thought I had a high pain tolerance but after my bypass not anymore. lol

Hang in there. I am 3 weeks out and no more pain at all!

Thank you for all the info. I am 2 days post op and it hurts to move. My stomach feels like it’s spazzing when I first get up. Today is my first day home so I am going to walk, drink, and rest!!

And major surgery is a shock to the system. Nobody promised you bluebirds, sunshine and joy at first, you may have gloom, sucky days and say WTF more than once, but every day the,pain and sorrow diminish, you get stronger and more able to handle things. Only a few go skipping into the future, most of us it's one foot and then another👣but we all get to the finish,do our own personal best each day, and trust in the fact that eventually everything and everyone gonna be all right!😛

Hi all. I’m two days post op and I have. A great deal of pain with movement. Keeping heating paid on and taking my meds. Walking as much as possible. Good luck and speedy recovery everyone.

Yes!!! The pain was especially bad on my right side. I slept in my bed with a pillow supporting my stomach (I layed down on my side).

The pain was pretty bad for about two weeks and then it lessened. Hang in there! It's worth it!

Hi There!

I had a lot of pain post op too! I had RNY on 6/4/18. It was a much rougher recovery than I expected. I've had 3 c-sections so I thought I'd bounce back fairly quickly. No! Immediately after surgery I was miserable. Tylenol and oxycodone were definitely my besties. 2.5 weeks in I developed pneumonia😔 even with that set back by 4 wks out I actually felt good. I could sleep in my own bed. I was sleeping in the recliner for comfort and I could bend at the waist...lol. It's all a distant memory. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Man alive- I HEAR YA, SISTER! I didn’t expect such pain. Luckily it has gotten markedly better now on day 3... Until they pulled my drain, which sent my entire abdomen into muscle contractions for about 10 minutes (I was a sobbing mess). This surgery isn’t for the weak! But we are tough... hang in there. :)

Had surgery 7/3. There was pain of course and I pressed through. It was tolerable. I walked a lot, and I believe that made a world of difference BUT I' still slept in the recliner because laying in bed on my back wasn't comfortable (like lying on my side and my tummy likes to follow me and it's just not gong to happen). Just when I thought things were going my way, and I was feeling better, I pulled a tummy muscle getting out of car, so now I need to compress my stomach, because very painful to walk and more nights in my recliner. But, this too will pass. Hope you'll find the relief you need.