Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 minute ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Thanks for the post. Yes I am a little itchy today. Have to tell nurse. I have Tylenol IV going which seems to be taking the edge off.

When I was itchy, they would give me Benadryl which would help a bit for the itching, but only once they took me off of morphine, did the itching actually stop.

Keep in mind, Benadryl will make you very very drowsy.

All the best to you. Stay positive, and follow the program. Congratulations!

3 minutes ago, macadamia said:

When I was itchy, they would give me Benadryl which would help a bit for the itching, but only once they took me off of morphine, did the itching actually stop.

Keep in mind, Benadryl will make you very very drowsy.

Yes. I kind of wanna walk around and keep moving today so I’m not going to take the Benadryl right now. Thanks for the replies!

Congratulations and hope you have a speedy recovery.

@macadamia. Opioids, like morphine, often result in itching. That doesn't mean that your're allergic, though. Sometimes, especially when given intrathecal morphine (delivered directly to your spinal fluid), the drug overexcites certain receptors that would be less affected if given in a different way (orally).

I take 300mg of morphine daily. In the beginning, I had an annoying itch, but my body eventually got used to the medication. I've been a morphine patient for several years.

Opioids can cause what's called a pseudo-allergy. Think of it as a side effect like dizziness or nausea.

"Patients and providers often associate pseudo-allergy reactions to opioid analgesics as true allergies. True allergies to opioids occur in <2% of patients. An incorrect diagnosis of allergies may lead to delays in treatment and unnecessary drug avoidance."

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/jeffrey-fudin/2018/03/opioid-allergy-pseudo-allergy-or-adverse-effect

Let doctors in the future know that you've had some itching with a pain pump. Don't just say, "I've had itching with morphine."

Yes, switching to hydromorphone (Dilaudid) generally helps.

"Itch with epidural morphine may be troublesome but is apparently reduced with switching to the use of epidural hydromorphone. Oxycodone, oxymorphone, or fentanyl could have been chosen instead of hydromorphone, as they may cause less histamine release."

https://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S0885-3924(98)00115-8/pdf

12 hours ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Hi Lisa. I’m laying here in bed after having surgery today. No pain breathing fine. Have swallow test tomorrow. Hope I pass with flying colors. Look forward to sipping on water! Keep up the good work and let’s keep in touch!

How did your swallow study go? I hope you're starting your Clear Liquids and heading home!

Hi there. Passed swallow test. Drinking fluids now. Not easy. Feel a little nauseous.

Wow congrats to you...here's wishing you a speedy recovery. I am scheduled for 07/27

Congrats!! Raise your mug of broth to a speedy and healthy recovery! ;)

Just switched off pca pump to oral Percocet. Swallowed my first pill....not pleasant. Vet nauscious lot of gas.

Getting ready to go home. Nervous. Not feeling that great. Stomach hurts and feel nauscious. Nurse just gave me something for nausea. Hoping I feel better soon.

4 minutes ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Getting ready to go home. Nervous. Not feeling that great. Stomach hurts and feel nauscious. Nurse just gave me something for nausea. Hoping I feel better soon.

I hope you feel better once you're home. Don't be afraid to take your pain and nausea meds when you need them. I felt pretty rough the first two days but started feeling like myself on the third day. Your full-time job now is to get your fluids down. Keep us posted!

29 minutes ago, Lisa K. said:

I hope you feel better once you're home. Don't be afraid to take your pain and nausea meds when you need them. I felt pretty rough the first two days but started feeling like myself on the third day. Your full-time job now is to get your fluids down. Keep us posted!

Thanks Lisa. I will take my meds and will keep drinking. Feeling so tired. I’ll keep you all posted.

Had my surgery yesterday. It's almost 2 in the a.m. Had alittle trouble breathing when I came out but it got better. Shoulders and belly hurt from the gas but I've been up walking. Just got my first popsicle YUM! Nurse said I'm doing better than any one on the floor. No pain except the belly gas. I was so scared but it's turning out very well!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻