Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Actitrainer (Like a Bodybugg :) )

OK... some people mentioned that I should start my own thread...so here it goes. I've debated between the Bodybugg and Actitrainer for a few months. There was a lot I liked about the Actitrainer...but I couldn't find anybody who actually owned one. There are maybe two reviews on Amazon.com that are positive.

Anyways...24hrfitness was having this awesome special on the Bodybugg and when I went to order, the special was over. I couldn't justify spending $350 for the Bodybugg. I just couldn't. The Actitrainer is $198... and seems to give you a lot more bang for your buck.

Things I liked about it:

* It's the standard among researchers--used by the CDC, Cooper Aerobic Institute, Harvard, Joslin, etc. If there's a study done that tracks movement--there's a good chance they used the Actitrainer.

* You don't need to purchase a separate wrist monitor to find out things. You can see calories burned, step count, distance, heart rate and pace on the Actitrainer even if you don't subscribe to their virtual trainer. (Another good thing... don't have to use the monthly subscription bit if you don't want to.)

* Virtual Trainer is slightly cheaper than Bodybugg

* They've partnered with Polar...which is the standard for heart rate monitors

* Four colors (Yes...I know... silly.)

* You can wear it on your waist (most accurate), arm, or ankle. I didn't like the thought of having the Bugg on my arm. Wondered how clothes would work, etc.

Anyways...that's it. I ordered it. The $15 shipping fee includes two day FedEx. I'll let you know more once I have it.

ActiTrainer Online Data Analysis - ActiGraph, LLC. if you're interested :confused:

Please keep us informed about how you like it. I've been debating whether to order one of these devices myself. It will be great to read your reports about how yours performs. That's one thing about the Bodybugg that I don't like is not only is it EXPENSIVE as heck, but you still have to pay MONTHLY to get the full training benefit from it???

I searched on these boards for Actitrainer because I was wondering if anybody had one (I got mine today) and found a thread from May titled very similar to your thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f81/acti-trainer-like-bodybugg-34505/

It's a pretty cool little device. I'm wearing the chest strap heart monitor with the actitrainer while I'm at work. I'm curious to know how many calories I'm burning and what a difference a little bit of activity might make. I work security doing driving and foot patrols, so I get a fair bit of activity...but I can choose how lazy to be by taking either the stairs or the elevator.

I'm also interested to see the sleep monitoring portion of this. I know that'll be good for DH - something's screwy about the way he sleeps - he hardly ever feels very rested.

I haven't set up my free 15-day trial of the Virtual Trainer, yet. I'm waiting until after I get banded and DH gets into his own losing-weight groove before doing that so that it can be most effective for the both of us and we can decide if it's worth it.

I hope to see more ActiTrainers in the future on here!

Hi Stephanie!

Hey girls,

I was wondering if the actitrainer is comfortable to wear? I read about it and I like the heart moniter thing feature. I looks so boxy compared to the Body Bugg,..so, just wondering if you like the comfort level

thanks!

I am really interested in getting one too. I can't afford one right now, with Christmas coming.

Is it like the body bugg where you have to log a bunch of stuff into the computer?

They recommend you wear it on your waist as opposed to your arm because that's in the center of your body. I tucked it on the inside of my waist band and hardly noticed it while working last night. It doesn't have to be touching your skin, just needs to be snug against your body. DH wore it today (you can put up to 5 users on it) while he was in a tactical driving class (think screeching tires) and he hardly noticed it.

I know it looks kind of huge on their website, but I want to say it's about the size of a pack of Extra gum...maybe a bit longer (I don't have it on me - I'm trying to remember, exactly).

Denise - I like it because it shows you all of the information as it's logging it. You can choose what to show: beats per min, avg beats per min, peak beats per min, speed, pace, distance traveled, steps taken, calories. You don't have to get on the computer to see your info. It gave me a good idea of what I burn on an average night at my job and is making me think of ways I can burn a bit more. But, if you want to do the sleep analyzation you need to have the virtual trainer. I'm antsy to get it, but things need to slow down before it'll be worth it to sign up for it.

We got a 15-day trial for the Virtual Trainer, but I think it would go to waste right now because there's just too much LIFE going on. Once things start to slow (after the band), I'll set it up.

I don't know the promotional coupon code...sorry.

So, mine arrived yesterday. I was surprised at how small it is! It really does look huge on the website. It's about the length of my middle finger, if that helps. So far, so good... although I didn't play with the polar heart rate monitor yet. I'm amazed at both how many calories it says I've burned (in a good way)... yet also by how inactive I am for long periods of time.

I'll let you know more after I play with it over the weekend.

Comfort wise... it's fine. Same like any other pedometer I've worn. I'm going to try the arm band tomorrow to see what that's like.

One question and this might be a stupid one but its all new to me....does the actitrainer calculate the number of calories you eat a day right on the device itself based on what you enter or do you punch this info into their website?

:help:Do anybody know the promational code for the Actitrainer? Please I have been wanting a body bugg fo a long time, but it cost way too much and I think this is the next best thing or better.

One question and this might be a stupid one but its all new to me....does the actitrainer calculate the number of calories you eat a day right on the device itself based on what you enter or do you punch this info into their website?

You have to input that on the website. On the device itself, with no subscription, you can see calories burned, steps, distance traveled, and heart rate.

:help:Do anybody know the promational code for the Actitrainer? Please I have been wanting a body bugg fo a long time, but it cost way too much and I think this is the next best thing or better.

I called the Actitrainer phone number on the website and left them a message asking them if they could give me the promotional code, so I am waiting on them to call me back (it will probable be Monday) but I will let everyone know when I hear.