Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheez its, my little snack

On 07/15/2018 at 07:43, Orchids&Dragons said:

Gretchen Rubin is an author who posts a lot on LinkedIn. She writes about psychological stuff and tendencies. I'm what she calls an "abstainer", meaning that I am far more successful abstaining from things that really tempt me than trying to eat in moderation. She calls people who can do that "moderators". It is very easy for people in one camp or the other to assume the whole world is the same as they are. But that's a mistaken assumption. Abstainers don't have to avoid all temptations, just the ones that they know trigger out-of-control responses.

I’ve read that concept and it seems solid. And I would even go a step further and say you can be moderate on some things (I can have a half a cookie or a bit of cake or ice cream) and an abstainer on others (my cheezits).

It’s more of that you do you... but it’s always good to know all the issues because what you need might change at different points

On 07/15/2018 at 07:55, AshAsh1 said:

I can relate, I make him Breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. Always a well balanced Breakfast and dinner. lunch is his splurge. He works very hard and those awful carbs somehow makes his day better. Ultimately he has benefited from this journey because I cook better and make better choices for us. For me, making his meals is an act of love. 

I think if I didn’t buy them, he would understand. I don’t have this big temptation with cheezits though. There are other things i avoid buying. He would ultimately give them up if it meant sabotaging my progress. I don’t take any offense. I just try and make it as easy on him as possible. He’s been so loving and supportive through, not only my weight loss journey, but before when it was really hard. When I had countless health problems. When he got up in the mornings to help me tie my shoes. When he sat through countless appointments for things that could have been solved by losing weight. I owe him to buy Cheezits if it’s what he loves. I owe him to resist the urge because he’s done so much for me. No, I don’t “owe” him necessarily and he doesn’t hold it over my head or treat it like a debt. But I do. I am in debt to his love. His vows for in sickness and in health, he’s held up the truest end of the agreement. I want him to feel all the goodness of my journey, and a part of that is for him to not give things up on my account. He gave up things for years. Sorry, I’m a little sappy and emotional typing this. He would give his life to make me happy, and I vow to never make him have to.
It’s all good.

My cheezits aren’t your cheezits. Most of what I say on here is always aimed at the silent majority who read but don’t post. I like to open their eyes to alternate views and ways to see things and adjust their lives.

I can’t have cheezits in the House. Doesn’t make me less loving. And someone out there may really feel they NEED to get their partner cheezits to show they care and I’m saying they don’t. It’s not aimed at
you per se.

Yup my hubby works 10 hour days in a power plant at a physically demanding job. So I get it.

On 07/12/2018 at 05:04, Apple203 said:

And chips of all kinds -- I just stay away from them. And cheese, too, for that matter (except for blue cheese on my brussel sprouts -- I am addicted to buffulo brussel sprouts). My orders were to not count cheese as a Protein source.

Can you share recipe for buffalo Brussel sprouts? Thanks

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

I’ve read that concept and it seems solid. And I would even go a step further and say you can be moderate on some things (I can have a half a cookie or a bit of cake or ice cream) and an abstainer on others (my cheezits).

It’s more of that you do you... but it’s always good to know all the issues because what you need might change at different points

I'm the same. Most things I can eat in moderation, even if I like them quite a lot. Other things just set my craving meter to "oh, what the hell"!

On 07/15/2018 at 12:43, jess9395 said:

And let me just throw this out there.... stay vigilant. In the first year I could totally have eaten a small amount of cheezits and not have them be a slider and still lose. But things change. They may not for you, but be aware that they might. Or whatever YOUR cheezits are. Everyone’s are different.

When you’re five years out you may have a different perspective.
Yeah- I agree. I don’t consider myself a true food addict at all though. So I can have all kinds of “ addictive or forbidden” foods at the moment moderately and feel satisfied without it bothering me wanting to go crazy ... but I definitely have had my triggers and worked on controlling it.. I don’t consider myself successful in this journey if I cannot control portions. I still cannot even digest most foods- so I’m still in the clear. But yeah- I do realize That years down the road I may be able to eat much more and have issues if I always eat snack foods. Thanks for the heads up that they may change.

15 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I feed my family as an act of love too. Heck, my husband leaves for work at 5:30 am and I get up every single morning and make him Breakfast before he goes. I have for over 20 years every single morning. Pack him a lunch and then cook dinner in the evening. My kids too.

You rock! I've been with my husband for almost 20 years, married for 15 in 2 weeks. I used to make him Breakfast and lunch but not anymore. Don't get me wrong I love my family, but when I had my surgery they were NOT helpful at all and I had a tough recovery. Those lentils last night were punishment lol (not really!)

@AllyJonesVSG my family is all confused too sometimes with dinner! We don't have all starches and bread anymore. Spaghetti squash?! What is this madness?!

16 hours ago, Happy2lose13 said:
On 7/12/2018 at 6:04 AM, Apple203 said:

Can you share recipe for buffalo Brussel sprouts? Thanks

Yes! I just halve and roast brussel sprouts, 400 degrees for about half an hour, then toss them with Franks Hot Sauce, micro-zested lemon and lemon juice, and some crumbled blue cheese. Use convection if your oven has it, toss your brussel sprouts with a little EVOO, S&P, place them cut side down on your sheet pan, and put the pan on a low rack in your oven. I think they are delicious.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:08 AM, apositivelife4me said:

Well your orders were wrong. cheese is an excellent source of Protein. Cheez its have 5 grams of Protein per 1.5 oz package by the way.

That is kinda harsh! cheese isn't banned, but I was directed to chose lean sources of protein. When you look at the data, it is clear that there are better choices than cheese:

3 oz chicken = 120 calories, 22 g protein

3 oz cheddar cheese = 340 calories, 20 g protein

When my son was growing up and not eating meat at all, we relied on products like cheese and nuts as a big source of protein, but what works calorie-wise for a tall, active teenage boy doesn't work so well for a post-menopausal, 53 year woman!

Edited by Apple203

On 7/15/2018 at 5:00 PM, magpie26 said:

my family is all confused too sometimes with dinner! We don't have all starches and bread anymore. Spaghetti squash?! What is this madness?!

Right? It's good for them. LOL.

I just tried these for the first time and they're pretty good. They remind of white cheddar mac and cheese flavoring.

Bariatric Pal has them for twice as much as Amazon.com

81UY3VVX6wL._SY679_.jpg

Edited by SleevedJuneBug