Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 07/11/2018 at 15:19, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Still, it's not right... particularly when the OP adds this statement to their post:

"Please be respectful and honest if responding (: "

Okay, CashmereAndBones. We were respectful and honest... what say you in return?

True but at least Ash’s work on a response can still be beneficial

This OP received advice from multiple posters, including me. I responded first, and I spent considerable time composing a lengthy reply with a lot of thought invested in it. True, no one needs to take our advice, but to completely dismiss the effort is just rude.

On 07/13/2018 at 08:58, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

This OP received advice from multiple posters, including me. I responded first, and I spent considerable time composing a lengthy reply with a lot of thought invested in it. True, no one needs to take our advice, but to completely dismiss the effort is just rude.

Absolutely, rude indeed. But know that your words may have an impact far beyond what we will ever know or imagine. Plenty of lurkers and others who read and absorb.

Even a raindrop has an affect, if another falls, and then another falls, eventually a River of Hope may be founded, that small torrent grows larger and larger until a seeker may launch their sailboat or canoe ⛵and travel to where they need to go. Never feel your tiny raindrop is unimportant, for we all truly have a purpose.
Profound journeys started once with a simple step of faith.👣

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't replied to anyone, I don't get email notifications I turned them all off and I've actually been away doing some traveling and taking time away from the internet. I didn't realize I'd get so many replies so quickly! I apologize if I have offended anyone for not responding. After reading all of the replies I want to thank each and every one of you for your time and feedback for my post! You've all given me some insight as to what I need to rethink and change in my life in order to succeed.

Best,

CashmereAndBones

@CashmereAndBones No hard feelings. :) It's nice of you to acknowledge the effort others have invested in your initial post. Please understand that, though harsh, our advice came from heartfelt concern. You're a valuable person and you deserve straight talk from people who are traveling the road you're thinking about taking. We were all where you are now. Once you come to terms with the reality of your weight and how it impacts your health, you may choose the courageous decision to explore the world of weight-loss surgery. It's not an easy choice because it involves drastic lifestyle changes. Only you can determine your priorities.

I hope that you will return to this forum often and read, read, read and ask, ask, ask. The very best to you.:)

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

1. 1. So yes, we all get the point of the surgery is to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle BUT that doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves sometimes. My favorite food chain is in LA, In-N-Out Burger. Will I be able to eat a cheeseburger and small fry with like a milkshake? Clearly I won't be opting for this on the daily but we all still need to indulge in our favorites once in a while and I'm not sure how much of it I'll be able to eat I'm assuming maybe like 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the entire meal. But does anyone have experience with eating cheeseburgers, fries and a milkshake on like a vacation or for just a little "cheat meal"? (Again, I get the point is to NOT eat these types of food but sometimes you have urges especially on vacations). I don't think there is anything wrong with a little indulgence every now and then. I went on vacation at 3 months post op, and I ate a few things I don't normally eat, and it all went fine. I had a couple bites of ice cream, a small pancake with butter, a piece of a cookie, etc... (not all at the same time), but it all went fine for me. Now, I did have a smaller weight loss that week, but I only did it while on the vacation.

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, does anyone drink sparkling Water on occasion? I haven't had anything sparkling or carbonated yet, and don't really plan to. It can aid in stretching out your new tummy, so I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Cocktails and Wine, I'm not sure about you but being 24 I like to have myself an occasional couple of social beverages, how was your experience with alcohol both mixed drinks (hard liquor) and wine? (Don't worry about beer I don't like it). My doctor's advice on this topic was to wait until 6 months post-op, so I still haven't had a drink since my operation.

4. Not to generalize but I think a lot of people have a sweet tooth, I love the occasional scone, croissant, cookie, French macaron, etc. how has your experience with these types of baked pastries been? I've only had a piece of a cookie, the ice cream I mentioned before, and a little dark chocolate. That is not something that I would recommend that you regularly do, as you'll end up wanting more and more, that's how I would be anyways. I would stick to the sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. Those help with the sweet cravings with no added sugar.

5. coffee. I'm ADDICTED to coffee and espresso beverages; lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, matcha lattes. How have these affected you and do you sweeten them at all or keep it plain? Can you sweeten them with like flavored syrups like a pump of lavender simple Syrup or matcha powder? I've had some coffee post op. I drank it every day before the surgery, and now I have it like once a week or so. I usually go to Dunkin and get an iced coffee with sugar free Syrup and a little almond milk, then I add equal to it. Just go for the sugar free options, if you have to have coffee.

6. Now I know the clear answer and feedback I'm going to get on this question but for those who aren't going to just simply says "QUIT!!!" then I'd appreciate an answer, don't answer this is you're going to lecture me on how bad this is in general regardless of VSG, I know it's bad, I'm not stupid but it's an addictive habit I'm trying to quit. Smoking. How have cigarettes or e-cigs like Juul's affected you? Does it bother your stomach or can you smoke without issue? If so how many cigarettes or Juul pods do you go through a day? I know this is the answer you don't want, but you HAVE to quit smoking before the surgery. It could kill you if you continue to smoke. The only near death experience my doctor's office had was with a post op patient who didn't heed the doctor's advice, and they kept smoking. It could kill you.

7. This is hopefully not going to be a struggle but when I eat I like to sip on water or unsweetened iced tea, coffee, etc. I know in the beginning you're supposed to drink like 30 minutes BEFORE consuming food. How soon after can you drink something? Also will there be a time when eventually I can have a beverage while eating a snack or meal? Or will I forever not be able to consume liquidsand solids at the same time? I always liked to drink with my meals too. It's a bit inconvenient, but you'll eventually get used to not drinking while you eat. You should wait, at least, 30 minutes after you eat before you drink anything. It's a forever thing, but, like I said, you'll get used to it.

5 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@CashmereAndBones No hard feelings. :) It's nice of you to acknowledge the effort others have invested in your initial post. Please understand that, though harsh, our advice came from heartfelt concern. You're a valuable person and you deserve straight talk from people who are traveling the road you're thinking about taking. We were all where you are now. Once you come to terms with the reality of your weight and how it impacts your health, you may choose the courageous decision to explore the world of weight-loss surgery. It's not an easy choice because it involves drastic lifestyle changes. Only you can determine your priorities.

I hope that you will return to this forum often and read, read, read and ask, ask, ask. The very best to you.:)

Thank you very much Missouri-Lee! You've been a wonderful help and put me at ease. I will take your advice as to "read, read, read and ask, ask, ask" because the more information I can obtain the better I will have with my final decision (: you are a wonderful person! Thank you again.

39 minutes ago, FancyChristine15 said:

1. 1. So yes, we all get the point of the surgery is to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle BUT that doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves sometimes. My favorite food chain is in LA, In-N-Out Burger. Will I be able to eat a cheeseburger and small fry with like a milkshake? Clearly I won't be opting for this on the daily but we all still need to indulge in our favorites once in a while and I'm not sure how much of it I'll be able to eat I'm assuming maybe like 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the entire meal. But does anyone have experience with eating cheeseburgers, fries and a milkshake on like a vacation or for just a little "cheat meal"? (Again, I get the point is to NOT eat these types of food but sometimes you have urges especially on vacations). I don't think there is anything wrong with a little indulgence every now and then. I went on vacation at 3 months post op, and I ate a few things I don't normally eat, and it all went fine. I had a couple bites of ice cream, a small pancake with butter, a piece of a cookie, etc... (not all at the same time), but it all went fine for me. Now, I did have a smaller weight loss that week, but I only did it while on the vacation.

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, does anyone drink sparkling Water on occasion? I haven't had anything sparkling or carbonated yet, and don't really plan to. It can aid in stretching out your new tummy, so I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Cocktails and Wine, I'm not sure about you but being 24 I like to have myself an occasional couple of social beverages, how was your experience with alcohol both mixed drinks (hard liquor) and wine? (Don't worry about beer I don't like it). My doctor's advice on this topic was to wait until 6 months post-op, so I still haven't had a drink since my operation.

4. Not to generalize but I think a lot of people have a sweet tooth, I love the occasional scone, croissant, cookie, French macaron, etc. how has your experience with these types of baked pastries been? I've only had a piece of a cookie, the ice cream I mentioned before, and a little dark chocolate. That is not something that I would recommend that you regularly do, as you'll end up wanting more and more, that's how I would be anyways. I would stick to the sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. Those help with the sweet cravings with no added sugar.

5. coffee. I'm ADDICTED to coffee and espresso beverages; lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, matcha lattes. How have these affected you and do you sweeten them at all or keep it plain? Can you sweeten them with like flavored syrups like a pump of lavender simple Syrup or matcha powder? I've had some coffee post op. I drank it every day before the surgery, and now I have it like once a week or so. I usually go to Dunkin and get an iced coffee with sugar free Syrup and a little almond milk, then I add equal to it. Just go for the sugar free options, if you have to have coffee.

6. Now I know the clear answer and feedback I'm going to get on this question but for those who aren't going to just simply says "QUIT!!!" then I'd appreciate an answer, don't answer this is you're going to lecture me on how bad this is in general regardless of VSG, I know it's bad, I'm not stupid but it's an addictive habit I'm trying to quit. Smoking. How have cigarettes or e-cigs like Juul's affected you? Does it bother your stomach or can you smoke without issue? If so how many cigarettes or Juul pods do you go through a day? I know this is the answer you don't want, but you HAVE to quit smoking before the surgery. It could kill you if you continue to smoke. The only near death experience my doctor's office had was with a post op patient who didn't heed the doctor's advice, and they kept smoking. It could kill you.

7. This is hopefully not going to be a struggle but when I eat I like to sip on Water or unsweetened iced tea, coffee, etc. I know in the beginning you're supposed to drink like 30 minutes BEFORE consuming food. How soon after can you drink something? Also will there be a time when eventually I can have a beverage while eating a snack or meal? Or will I forever not be able to consume liquidsand solids at the same time? I always liked to drink with my meals too. It's a bit inconvenient, but you'll eventually get used to not drinking while you eat. You should wait, at least, 30 minutes after you eat before you drink anything. It's a forever thing, but, like I said, you'll get used to it.

Thank you for all of your information! Yes the doctor's told me I would have to stop smoking or do 0mg nicotine from a vape pen weeks before the surgery and like 3 months(?) after which isn't a problem. It's nice to see someone who's had nibbles and bites of those foods we crave and see that you're still doing very well. Thank you for all of the other advice to each question they were EXTREMELY helpful and I wish you all the best of luck with the rest of your journey (: