Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

So I haven't had my surgery yet. Still seeing the nutritionist and getting all the pre-op work finished. Haven't set a date yet but they said 6 months after my consultation so around end of October early November. That being said I'm going to Los Angeles with my mom on May 1 and I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy everything I have planned so I'm hoping to get some incite from others who are 5/6 months post-op and/or have tried the questions I'm going to ask below.

Questions: Please be respectful and honest if responding (: I'm very new to this and these are just some wondering questions I had floating around

1. So yes, we all get the point of the surgery is to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle BUT that doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves sometimes. My favorite food chain is in LA, In-N-Out Burger. Will I be able to eat a cheeseburger and small fry with like a milkshake? Clearly I won't be opting for this on the daily but we all still need to indulge in our favorites once in a while and I'm not sure how much of it I'll be able to eat I'm assuming maybe like 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the entire meal. But does anyone have experience with eating cheeseburgers, fries and a milkshake on like a vacation or for just a little "cheat meal"? (Again, I get the point is to NOT eat these types of food but sometimes you have urges especially on vacations).

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, does anyone drink sparkling water on occasion?

3. Cocktails and Wine, I'm not sure about you but being 24 I like to have myself an occasional couple of social beverages, how was your experience with alcohol both mixed drinks (hard liquor) and wine? (Don't worry about beer I don't like it).

4. Not to generalize but I think a lot of people have a sweet tooth, I love the occasional scone, croissant, cookie, French macaron, etc. how has your experience with these types of baked pastries been?

5. coffee. I'm ADDICTED to coffee and espresso beverages; lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, matcha lattes. How have these affected you and do you sweeten them at all or keep it plain? Can you sweeten them with like flavored syrups like a pump of lavender simple Syrup or matcha powder?

6. Now I know the clear answer and feedback I'm going to get on this question but for those who aren't going to just simply says "QUIT!!!" then I'd appreciate an answer, don't answer this is you're going to lecture me on how bad this is in general regardless of VSG, I know it's bad, I'm not stupid but it's an addictive habit I'm trying to quit. Smoking. How have cigarettes or e-cigs like Juul's affected you? Does it bother your stomach or can you smoke without issue? If so how many cigarettes or Juul pods do you go through a day?

7. This is hopefully not going to be a struggle but when I eat I like to sip on water or unsweetened iced tea, coffee, etc. I know in the beginning you're supposed to drink like 30 minutes BEFORE consuming food. How soon after can you drink something? Also will there be a time when eventually I can have a beverage while eating a snack or meal? Or will I forever not be able to consume liquids and solids at the same time?

Thank you guys so much for the support and I appreciate all of the insightful comments to come! Best of luck on your journey.

xo,

CashmereAndBones

Edited by CashmereAndBones

I'm only 5/6 WEEKS post-op, so perhaps I’m not the person you hoped to hear from.

First, I want to applaud you for trying to think ahead. All these unknowns can mess with your mind.

Yes! Yes! Yes! You have every right and you deserve to be treated with respect in an honest and thoughtful way. It's not easy to ask questions when you're unsure about what kind of answers you'll receive.

Anyway.... The first thing that popped out at me was the general bargaining tone of your questions. What I mean is this: You love eating X , drinking X, and doing X so much that you’re hoping to bargain your way out of the commitment that you'd need to make in order to be truly successful. Kindly notice that I didn't say that doing any of these things would be 100% terrible. My point is that you need to be prepared to give up some things that you genuinely enjoy NOW in order to get the ONE thing that you apparently want the MOST. Is losing weight and improving your health what you want the MOST? If it is, then you've established your top priority.

I know these sentences will sound silly the first time you read them, but they are meant to make you really think hard about what is truly important to you versus what seems important NOW. It all boils down to you being willing to give up something in order to get something else that's better. Again, I didn't say that you must give up any of these things, but you have to plant the seed deep into your head that you would be willing to give up one or all of these things if it meant the difference between being getting what you like or love NOW versus what you really want LATER.

1. My favorite food chain is in LA, In-N-Out Burger where I like to eat a cheeseburger and small fry with like a milkshake, but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

3. I like to have myself an occasional couple of social beverages, such as mixed drinks (hard liquor) and wine, but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

4. A lot of people have a sweet tooth, and I love the occasional scone, croissant, cookie, French macaron, etc., but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

5. I'm ADDICTED to coffee and espresso beverages; lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, matcha lattes sweetened with flavored syrups like a pump of lavender or simple Syrup or matcha powder, but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

6. I'm not stupid. I know it's an addictive habit and I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes and e-cigs like Juul's, but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

7. I eat I like to sip on Water or unsweetened iced tea, coffee while eating a snack or meal, but losing weight and improving my health is what I want the most.

I’ve spent more time on this post than on any other so far. That’s because you and your topic are both important and you deserved my full effort. I’m not implying that my full effort is worth more or less than anyone else’s effort, but you deserved more than just a quicky reply with no real time or effort invested in it.

We all started where you are now. We’ve all wondered about how our lives would change after weight-loss surgery. Would we be able to handle all the new and different lifestyle changes or would we end up having regrets?

Please take my post in the caring spirit in which it was written. I had other, more pressing things to do tonight, but I chose to write to you instead. Did I waste my time?

12 hours ago, CashmereAndBones said:

Hello everyone,

So I haven't had my surgery yet. Still seeing the nutritionist and getting all the pre-op work finished. Haven't set a date yet but they said 6 months after my consultation so around end of October early November. That being said I'm going to Los Angeles with my mom on May 1 and I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy everything I have planned so I'm hoping to get some incite from others who are 5/6 months post-op and/or have tried the questions I'm going to ask below.

Questions: Please be respectful and honest if responding (: I'm very new to this and these are just some wondering questions I had floating around

1. So yes, we all get the point of the surgery is to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle BUT that doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves sometimes. My favorite food chain is in LA, In-N-Out Burger. Will I be able to eat a cheeseburger and small fry with like a milkshake? Clearly I won't be opting for this on the daily but we all still need to indulge in our favorites once in a while and I'm not sure how much of it I'll be able to eat I'm assuming maybe like 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the entire meal. But does anyone have experience with eating cheeseburgers, fries and a milkshake on like a vacation or for just a little "cheat meal"? (Again, I get the point is to NOT eat these types of food but sometimes you have urges especially on vacations).

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, does anyone drink sparkling Water on occasion?

3. Cocktails and Wine, I'm not sure about you but being 24 I like to have myself an occasional couple of social beverages, how was your experience with alcohol both mixed drinks (hard liquor) and wine? (Don't worry about beer I don't like it).

4. Not to generalize but I think a lot of people have a sweet tooth, I love the occasional scone, croissant, cookie, French macaron, etc. how has your experience with these types of baked pastries been?

5. coffee. I'm ADDICTED to coffee and espresso beverages; lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, matcha lattes. How have these affected you and do you sweeten them at all or keep it plain? Can you sweeten them with like flavored syrups like a pump of lavender simple Syrup or matcha powder?

6. Now I know the clear answer and feedback I'm going to get on this question but for those who aren't going to just simply says "QUIT!!!" then I'd appreciate an answer, don't answer this is you're going to lecture me on how bad this is in general regardless of VSG, I know it's bad, I'm not stupid but it's an addictive habit I'm trying to quit. Smoking. How have cigarettes or e-cigs like Juul's affected you? Does it bother your stomach or can you smoke without issue? If so how many cigarettes or Juul pods do you go through a day?

7. This is hopefully not going to be a struggle but when I eat I like to sip on water or unsweetened iced tea, coffee, etc. I know in the beginning you're supposed to drink like 30 minutes BEFORE consuming food. How soon after can you drink something? Also will there be a time when eventually I can have a beverage while eating a snack or meal? Or will I forever not be able to consume liquids and solids at the same time?

Thank you guys so much for the support and I appreciate all of the insightful comments to come! Best of luck on your journey.

xo,

CashmereAndBones

Maybe I over read what surgery you are having, but its a little different for a sleever or someone who's had RNY. I cannot eat regular ice cream. It has way too much sugar and I would dump. Occasionally I will eat sugar free ice cream from the grocery store. But you are hard pressed to find sugar free options at restaurants. Also, I would NEVER be able to eat a burger (never with a bun), fries, and a milk shake. I wouldn't have enough room. Let me give you an example, I was at Chili's this past weekend and I ordered shrimp tacos and fries as my side. I had 3-4 fries and one single taco (I was stuffed!). I did partake in a couple chips with salsa prior to the meal, and I can do that as long as its long enough before our meal comes out. Eating out is not fun for me anymore, and its almost frustrating because I waste so much food. By the time I start to enjoy something, I'm already full. Don't get me started on the cost factor.

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, does anyone drink sparkling water on occasion?

I drink carbonated beverages on occasion. This is not against my program. However, this is a mixed review in the WLS community. I would consult your surgeon to see if they allow carbonation after surgery. I also weighted until 3 months post op to make sure my staple line was completely healed. The important part is that you are drinking CALORIE FREE liquids.

I have drank hard alchohol on two occasions since surgery and I did just fine. I did half of a shot of vodka to one small can of sugar free Red Bull. I was cleared for alcohol 3 mons post op.

I don't eat baked goods at all. There is too much added sugar, and white processed flour. The only thing I indulge in is the SF ice cream on special occasions or really hot days. I stay away from most processed foods and things with added sugar. There are plenty of recipes you can make on your own at home that can satisfy your sweet tooth. This one below is for a Protein brownie. But you will be hard pressed to find things at the store (already made) that are bariatric friendly. The common trend is make it yourself. Cooking, meal prepping, healthy shopping...ect.

https://www.bariatriccookery.com/simply-gorgeous-protein-brownies

The answer is you will forever have to withhold from drinking for the 30 mins before/after rule. The only time this does not apply is when you are in liquid stages of post op. This important for 2 reasons. The first being is that liquids will allow food to pass through your pouch quicker, making you able to eat more. The second, is it could cause your pouch to stretch. My program specifies the 30 minute after rule, but not before. Check with your surgeon to see what your program suggests.

So I gave you very honest answers to most of your questions.... but let me say this, it doesn't sound like you are in the right mind frame to have this surgery. These are questions I wouldn't be concerned with if I was ready to change my life. There is a difference between concerned about post op recovery, types of Vitamins, or protein sources. You are concerned about not having to change your lifestyle. These questions don't sound like they are from someone who has hit their rock bottom and wants to have life changing surgery to lose weight. Just saying....
Remember this, this surgery is 80% mind, and 20% body. You will have to overcome the mental aspects. Are you ready? Can you do it?

I agree with everything @AshAsh1 said, especially "it doesn't sound like you are in the right mind frame to have this surgery. These are questions I wouldn't be concerned with if I was ready to change my life. ......You are concerned about not having to change your lifestyle. These questions don't sound like they are from someone who has hit their rock bottom and wants to have life changing surgery to lose weight. Just saying...."

I agree that WLS surgery is a lifestyle change. Your sleeve isn't going to change anything in your mind. You can totally defeat this surgery by eating the wrong foods, eating too much and eating too frequently.

Here are my experiences/opinions, 5 months post op

1. Will I be able to eat a cheeseburger and small fry with like a milkshake? Clearly I won't be opting for this on the daily but we all still need to indulge in our favorites once in a while and I'm not sure how much of it I'll be able to eat I'm assuming maybe like 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the entire meal. But does anyone have experience with eating cheeseburgers, fries and a milkshake on like a vacation or for just a little "cheat meal"?

I live in LA, so I have had In-n-Out post surgery. I can eat about 1/3 of a hamburger, Protein style, no room for anything else. I actually prefer In-n-Out burgers protein style, since the Buns are nothing special. I get it protein & animal style, hold the Thousand Island (mustard grilled patty & grilled onions, wrapped in lettuce). Their fries seriously suck, don't waste any stomach room on them. Have a sip or two of a milkshake if you must. But milkshakes are pure sabotage, so be careful.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong about eating local specialties on vacation, and being flexible for a week. But you have to be absolutely certain you can get back on plan once you get home.

2. I absolutely LOVE sparkling Water like La Croix and San Pellegrino, does anyone drink sparkling Water on occasion?

I have no issues w carbonation, as long as I don't drink out of a can. Over ice takes away some of the fizz, and doesn't bother me.

I have no issues with how alcohol effects me. But I have almost completely given up alcohol, because they are liquid calories with no nutritional value. I have worked way too hard and had too much success to undue it with a few drinks. A mixed cocktail has as many or more calories than I consume in a day. If you are serious about WLS you will come to the same conclusion that drinks, except on rare occasion aren't worth it. I may not be 24, but this was a BIG adjustment for me, as my job centers around entertaining and wining and dining.

This is the biggest worry about your post. Can you occasionally have these, yes, of course. But the fact you are worried about this pre op makes me think you are too attached, and occasional will be far too often.

Ugh, lavender simple Syrup, pure liquid calories again, as are most coffee drinks. Try out coffee at home with Premier Protein Caramel or Fairlifemilk and sf syrup.

7. Also will there be a time when eventually I can have a beverage while eating a snack or meal? Or will I forever not be able to consume liquids and solids at the same time?

Nope, at 5 months I usually have to wait more than 1/2 hr to drink after a meal. I feel full, I feel my restriction working. I don't want to defeat it, push the food out of my stomach, and make myself hungry again. It's not a big deal for me at all.

I do wish you luck, but think hard if you are ready for the lifestyle changes that successful WLS requires

14 minutes ago, apositivelife4me said:

You are not ready for the surgery. The questions you asked are childish.

People who drink three Irish Coffees less than two months post op really shouldn't throw stones.

@CashmereAndBones According to your profile page, you've returned to read these comments. I hope you've had a chance to take all of our well-intentioned words to heart. I don't know why you haven't reposted since. Did you not receive the answers you wanted? Are you feeling disheartened now and reconsidering surgery? Come out of the shadows, friend. What's on your mind?

1. Indulge on occasion, sure. But even now 5 years out I can’t eat all that, no, not even 1/3-1/2. And the bread would upset my stomach. Can you share with your mom?

2. Some can some can’t. At 5 years out carbonation still hurts my stomach.

3. I can do a mixed drink or wine. But half of one gets me really tipsy.

4. When I open that door it’s hard to close it. I gained almost 20lbs after Christmas at two years out just because I started occasional treats and it was hard to stop and keep them “occasional” since then I am a LOT more careful.

5. Drink them but don’t add any sugar to them. Keep them sugar free. That matcha powder and simple Syrup adds up FAST and stimulates your appetite.

6. N/A

7. You will get used to it why would you try to after you’re used to it?

15 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@CashmereAndBones According to your profile page, you've returned to read these comments. I hope you've had a chance to take all of our well-intentioned words to heart. I don't know why you haven't reposted since. Did you not receive the answers you wanted? Are you feeling disheartened now and reconsidering surgery? Come out of the shadows, friend. What's on your mind?

It really bites my bum when I spend all this time responding and someone doesn't even care to respond....Good call out girl!

Edited by AshAsh1

On 07/11/2018 at 13:22, AshAsh1 said:

It really bites my bum when I spend all this time responding and someone doesn't even care to respond....Good call out girl!

The great thing about message boards is 100 other people will benefit from your words even if the OP doesn’t

3 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

The great thing about message boards is 100 other people will benefit from your words even if the OP doesn’t

You are totally right. Also good call out.

Still, it's not right... particularly when the OP adds this statement to their post:

"Please be respectful and honest if responding (: "

Okay, CashmereAndBones. We were respectful and honest... what say you in return?

On 7/9/2018 at 12:59 AM, CashmereAndBones said:

You might be grossed out by this meal in the future. Your tastes change. Could you eat this? Yes, you probably could eat some of it. A few bites of burger, a few bites of fries, a few sips of shake....and it will probably make you feel horrible. it won't taste great. And it will also likely sabotage your weight loss for a few days.

Some people do. But carbonation might change for you. I love Pepsi. I've tried drinking a little on a special occasion...and it makes me feel instantly bloated and uncomfortable after two small swallows. I might love it...it doesn't love me. And that's probably a good thing.

You'll get drunk very fast, and alcohol metabolizes like fat. I avoid it. Some drink in moderation.

They're a great way to make your sleeve completely pointless. You will gain weight if you eat them...and you will have no problem doing so.

I drink coffee with premier protien in it....in moderation. syrups are a great way to make your sleeve completely pointless. You will gain weight if you drink them....and you will have no problem doing so

People eventually bend drinking/eating rules, but you'll have better results if you don't.

@Creekimp13 You're wasting your time on this person. Hopefully, as @jess9395 pointed out, others may benefit.