Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice and encouragement not ripped apart

LisaLou I’m sorry for what you have gone through. I too am struggling with my weight loss. I keep wondering if I should have had the bypass instead of the sleeve. I keep at it the best I can. Good luck with your journey.

@Brassapple keep on with it. The sleeve is a fine surgery, wouldn't have worked for me but that doesn't downgrade it for others. How long has it been since your surgery? There are a lot of sleevers who will give you moral suport if you reach out to them. My friend Orchids and Drag9bs has been having some difficulties herself but she is a wonderful person to reach out to. And she is just one of many others on here. None of us has everything worked out perfect, goodness knows I haven't but we keep on keeping on and eventually things eork,out. We'll have your back if you let us.

LisaLou I’m sorry for what you have gone through. I too am struggling with my weight loss. I keep wondering if I should have had the bypass instead of the sleeve. I keep at it the best I can. Good luck with your journey.
Hello thank you for responding to my post although I have been struggling I've also been doing research and talking to lots of people and really listening to what they say and trying hard to apply all the rules it seems to me there is a certain combination that you have to figure out I think for me I can't speak for anyone else but Gathering all the advice that I had gathered for me it seems that I was eating too fast drinking while eating and afterwards I also was not measuring my food or journaling my food so I was over eating stretching my stomach and totally unaware of how many carbs sugars and fats that I was eating throughout the day one of the things that has really helps me recently and really shed the pounds is to stop drinking with my food and 30 minutes after also start using a measuring cup and measure out 1 Cup exactly as food Protein first eat on a saucer with infant utensils sit down alone and mindful eat and pay attention to my own stomach of feeling full and not eating over 1 Cup also slowing down eating and allow myself to chew and swallow following these few Simple Rules has seemed to help me a lot I hope I've been inspired you to try the same you didn't message me anytime would love to help you and maybe you could help me

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

@Brassapple keep on with it. The sleeve is a fine surgery, wouldn't have worked for me but that doesn't downgrade it for others. How long has it been since your surgery? There are a lot of sleevers who will give you moral suport if you reach out to them. My friend Orchids and Drag9bs has been having some difficulties herself but she is a wonderful person to reach out to. And she is just one of many others on here. None of us has everything worked out perfect, goodness knows I haven't but we keep on keeping on and eventually things eork,out. We'll have your back if you let us.
Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to you I had been off of this site for a while trying to focus on myself I have taken everyone's advice and have recently figured out the certain combination for my own self I have shed 23 lb just by people's advice so I'm very happy thank you for your advice you can message me anytime God bless and good luck to you on your weight loss Journey

Thanks for responding to my post brass Apple this weight loss is not easy even after the sleeve I've only lost 23 pounds in 7 weeks so I'm a little disappointed I'm wondering if I shouldn't have had the gastric bypass as well there is a certain combination and I guess people have to have an act to figure out what it is although I am doing a little better since I quit eating so fast and started measuring my food and just sticking to that and walking away but it hasn't been easy you have any questions or want to talk please message me anytime thanks for responding good luck to you and your journey as well hold your head up take it slow and be easy on yourself put one foot in front of the other and take one day at a time you got this

@lisalou1968 - hang in there. You can message me as well. We will support you and get you up to speed on navigating this forum and all that.
You might want to go to the library and request some books by Geneen Roth. She helped me to figure out my pain from eating my emotions, to like myself and see the value for being me.
I am not picking on you here, but you picked an alcoholic for a reason you don't yet understand. Good riddance but you need to figure this out before you even think about another relationship or you will pick another person that is a problem. Try reading 'Co-dependant No More' by Melody Beattie.
I know all this because I was married to an alcoholic for 18 years, and I was an abused child.
It will get better. You will get better.
Thank you so much for messaging me and all your encouragement I take every bit of it so hard I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other it makes me proud that I can see so many people on here succeed and I want to be one of them and one day help others hutus the sleep after me thank you for all your great advice good luck to you on your journey and maintenance

I want to thank you for your bravery in telling your story. I'm only a week post op and reading through your thread is giving me encouragement. Im starting to hit a lull where the food isn't tasting good and I''m having trouble getting all the Fluid and Protein that I need to get. Lucky for me I'm not experiencing pain just nauseousness. I've been horrible at dieting in the past and my kidney doctor didn't want me to have it because she said I'd just gain all the weight back. So that's a fear of mine. I have 2 bracelets that I wear. One says "One Day at a Time" and the other says "She believed she could so she did". It helps me to look at them as a reminder and despite how I'm feeling it's a good mantra to repeat to keep me on track. I have suffered some abuse in my past and therapy has helped me a lot. I might go back for continued support through this weight loss journey. My sister said I need to reach out to people who have had the surgery and that's what brought me to this site. Best of luck staying on track! We are in this together! Hopefully we can help keep each other accountable on this weight loss journey. PS I'm so surprised you weren't more informed about the post op journey prior to surgery. The surgeon and his staff were very helpful in preparing us for the procedure and everything we need to know afterwards. From the fluid and food to the Vitamin supplements that need to be taken. Thanks again for allowing us to be apart of your journey!!
I wanted to check up on you and see how you were doing now I am doing much better myself have many friends holding my hand and encouraging me sometimes walking me through the day with my diet

I've been hospitalized twice from not being able to eat or drink enough and nauseous and vomitting. I'm finally feeling better. I'm able to eat soft foods which is helping but still need the shakes to get the correct amount of Protein. Hoping I stay on track. Thanks! How about you?

Have you ever tried OA meetings?

7 hours ago, pattio466 said:

I've been hospitalized twice from not being able to eat or drink enough and nauseous and vomitting. I'm finally feeling better. I'm able to eat soft foods which is helping but still need the shakes to get the correct amount of Protein. Hoping I stay on track. Thanks! How about you?

How long post op???

i too had that issues, 4 weeks post op. Discover not eating enough to msde me sick which made me not eat. Seriously, drink anything u can stomach.

Add Water to Apple juice, ice tea. Anything. I did that with ice tea, water makes me gag.

The three most important rules to follow according to my NUT and surgeon are the 30/30 rule, 60 grams of Protein per day and 64 ounces of Water or no calorie liquids.

I am awaiting revision from band to sleeve so I can’t speak to your sleeve issues but some things I learned from the band may help you. First, one thing the band folks say is “they banded your stomach, not your mouth”. So no matter what surgery you choose, unless they develop one that actually zips your lips closed when you try to eat something, all the work is going to have to come from your brain and your choices. The way the tool works is that you shouldn’t feel actual stomach-based “I’m hungry” feeling after eating if a small amount if food. But you will always be able to outeat your tool. The key is to eat your planned meal, then quit and go find something else to do. You don’t “eat until you feel like stopping” because if you’re eating for reasons other than hunger (like stress, emotional upset - all totally understandable, just behaviors we are trying to change) then you can always out eat the tool.

FYI, while the other surgeries *may* prohibit you from eating the “bad” foods, as you’ve learned yourself, that isn’t always the case. I’ve read of people who would melt a quart of ice cream and drink it that had RNY or if they truly can’t eat, they trade food for alcohol, drugs, shopping, sex or another addiction. So treating the underlying problem is really the best thing you can do.

If you find yourself with lots of appetite, you might be able to look to your food choices to help you. I wouldn’t have believed it had I not experienced it but the carbs, sugars and even sugar substitutes really do influence that “I’m eating and can’t stop” feeling. Last spring I tried a diet program from Dr David Ludwig called “Always Hungry”. It’s a modified slow carb program which has you eating mostly unprocessed foods, with the eliminated items being sugar, potatoes and your “whites” - rice, wheat etc. Yiu can eat whole grains in the 2nd phase as tolerated. The first 2 weeks is something of a detox from the bad carbs. There is a book by the same name that explains it all. Anyway, I was astonished at how well this worked for me. I used to take my coffee with A LOT of sugar and did so the majority of my life. Now I take it with a little splash of maple Syrup (about a half tsp). Had you told me I could do that 3 years ago I’d have cried laughing. This is the nutrition plan I plan to follow once I’m all recovered from surgery. I’ve already learned that oatmeal ramps up my appetite so for me I just don’t eat it. I already kicked my sugar obsession and will probably end up making my own Protein Shakes after surgery because the premade ones are too sweet. I had a pretty expansive palette beforehand but now I enjoy foods like brown basmati rice and Beans of all kinds. Snacks these days are hummus and cucumber instead of chips and I feel so much better. Whole fat milk and cheese cane back into my life and it’s so much more satisfying. My new love is quinoa and I’ve made it 4 different ways in 2 weeks. My whole family enjoys that.

This has gotten quite long so I’ll shut up now :) but I hope you consider changing your thinking about your tool. Weigh out your meal, savor it then go find something else to do. Think about changing up your macros and eliminating those high GI foods that trigger the munchies. The number one rule of Always Hungry is “be kind to yourself”, try adopting that in the spirit in which it is made. Let go of what you did. You can’t change that. But every new bite you take is an opportunity to choose better for yourself. Good luck.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:29 AM, pattio466 said:

I hope you are feeling better and not so nauseous and sick anymore.

I hope you are feeling better and not so nauseous and sick anymore.
Yes! So much better :)

Sent from my SM-J727T using BariatricPal mobile app