Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice and encouragement not ripped apart

Hello ladies my name is Lisa I'm admitting I wasn't truly ready for this gastric sleeve surgery I am one month and about a week post-op I had my surgery on 05- 30-18 when I came home from the hospital I just ate whatever I wanted I have lots of pain but still continued to try and eat whatever I wanted I see now that I am not losing weight I wonder if I have stretched my sleeve is it too late have I sabotage myself??? I just came to the realization that I need to take care of this sleeve and let it help me to be a tool to lose this weight I also have been eating too fast and drinking while eating not followed the rules at all anyone have any advice???? Please don't beat me up a lot of my eating issues is due to severe abuse in the past not to have an excuse I am trying to move forward but I'm scared that I have stretch my sleeve and that it won't work anymore

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry you're struggling with adjusting to your sleeve. You won't have ruined your sleeve in such a short time period, but you are exceedingly fortunate that you didn't end up back in the hospital from tearing the suture line. I'm amazed you weren't throwing up all the time. Some people have hardier stomachs than others.

I'm glad you've come to your senses. Your sleeve will still work. Go back to the plan your doctor gave you and stick with it. The liquid phase is not a punishment. It's time for your sutures to heal. The slow progressing through the foods is training you and again, gently getting the stomach back in the game. Focus on fluids and Protein. Don't put more than 2-4 oz. in your stomach at a time. You won't necessarily feel "full", but that's all the pouch can hold.

The process isn't easy but you can do it. You don't want to waste this opportunity. Good luck.

Reach out to your surgeons office and see if they can recommend a therapist for you. It sounds like you need to dig down and work on some deep issues.

In the meantime, try putting together meals and Snacks for the day ahead of time. Sometimes it helps to have things pre-prepared so you know what your "food allowance" is for each meal, or for each day. You can space out snacks accordingly - if you're looking for more right after a meal, ask yourself, "can I wait another hour before reaching for this next snack? " Consider that if you eat your allotted snacks too early you will be hungry later and try to space them out. This is just something I do to help when I am feeling like I am not satisfied even though I have just eaten.

Get rid of trigger foods that are in your cabinets or refrigerator. Having them readily available is just setting yourself up. When you feel a craving coming on, maybe go take a walk instead. Remove yourself from the places where in the past you had the habit of over-eating. It takes approximately 21 days to change your habits. Set this as a short term goal - when you have a craving, take a walk instead of reaching for food. Tell yourself that if you take a 20-30 minute walk and are still hungry when you get back, you will have a Protein snack.

Think of all the reasons that made you come to the decision to have this surgery. Maybe try journaling what you're feeling. It can be hard to lose the comfort that comes from food, it's like losing a friend. Find ways to keep your mind and hands busy - look for a new hobby that piques your interest.

You can do this. You are strong, have faith in yourself. Reach out to those in your life who support you.

12 minutes ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

Reach out to your surgeons office and see if they can recommend a therapist for you. It sounds like you need to dig down and work on some deep issues.

In the meantime, try putting together meals and Snacks for the day ahead of time. Sometimes it helps to have things pre-prepared so you know what your "food allowance" is for each meal, or for each day. You can space out Snacks accordingly - if you're looking for more right after a meal, ask yourself, "can I wait another hour before reaching for this next snack?" Consider that if you eat your allotted snacks too early you will be hungry later and try to space them out. This is just something I do to help when I am feeling like I am not satisfied even though I have just eaten.

Get rid of trigger foods that are in your cabinets or refrigerator. Having them readily available is just setting yourself up. When you feel a craving coming on, maybe go take a walk instead. Remove yourself from the places where in the past you had the habit of over-eating. It takes approximately 21 days to change your habits. Set this as a short term goal - when you have a craving, take a walk instead of reaching for food. Tell yourself that if you take a 20-30 minute walk and are still hungry when you get back, you will have a Protein snack.

Think of all the reasons that made you come to the decision to have this surgery. Maybe try journaling what you're feeling. It can be hard to lose the comfort that comes from food, it's like losing a friend. Find ways to keep your mind and hands busy - look for a new hobby that piques your interest.

You can do this. You are strong, have faith in yourself. Reach out to those in your life who support you.

Great advice from a successful veteran!

Hello ladies my name is Lisa I'm admitting I wasn't truly ready for this gastric sleeve surgery I am one month and about a week post-op I had my surgery on 05- 30-18 when I came home from the hospital I just ate whatever I wanted I have lots of pain but still continued to try and eat whatever I wanted I see now that I am not losing weight I wonder if I have stretched my sleeve is it too late have I sabotage myself??? I just came to the realization that I need to take care of this sleeve and let it help me to be a tool to lose this weight I also have been eating too fast and drinking while eating not followed the rules at all anyone have any advice???? Please don't beat me up a lot of my eating issues is due to severe abuse in the past not to have an excuse I am trying to move forward but I'm scared that I have stretch my sleeve and that it won't work anymore

Thank you very much for your advice I really appreciate it I need all the support and encouragement that I can get I am trying to do better every day I have really been working hard on no drinking with meals or 30 minutes before or after meals I also have been trying to incorporate my shakes and Protein first now I just have to push myself for exercise thank you again for your advice[emoji5]

Sorry you're struggling with adjusting to your sleeve. You won't have ruined your sleeve in such a short time period, but you are exceedingly fortunate that you didn't end up back in the hospital from tearing the suture line. I'm amazed you weren't throwing up all the time. Some people have hardier stomachs than others.
I'm glad you've come to your senses. Your sleeve will still work. Go back to the plan your doctor gave you and stick with it. The liquid phase is not a punishment. It's time for your sutures to heal. The slow progressing through the foods is training you and again, gently getting the stomach back in the game. Focus on fluids and Protein. Don't put more than 2-4 oz. in your stomach at a time. You won't necessarily feel "full", but that's all the pouch can hold.
The process isn't easy but you can do it. You don't want to waste this opportunity. Good luck.

I just wanted to say thank you for your advice I've been working hard everyday to get a little better I have been incorporating my shakes and not drinking while eating 30 minutes before or after meals now I just have to push myself to exercise I just wanted to say thank you and will definitely take your advice to Heart and try really hard[emoji5]

I wanted to say thank you for your advice I really appreciate it I have been working hard everyday to get a little better I find it kind of crazy that everyone says that my pouch can only hold two to four ounces I guess it's just self-sabotage but I can eat five times that much and it doesn't hurt or even phase me I know that I have overeating but I am going to try and stick to the to the 4-ounce capacity where's my shakes and protein and work really hard and try my best again thank you for your words of encouragement and advice I really appreciate it

In the meantime, try putting together meals and Snacks for the day ahead of time. Sometimes it helps to have things pre-prepared so you know what your "food allowance" is for each meal, or for each day. You can space out snacks accordingly - if you're looking for more right after a meal, ask yourself, "can I wait another hour before reaching for this next snack? " Consider that if you eat your allotted snacks too early you will be hungry later and try to space them out. This is just something I do to help when I am feeling like I am not satisfied even though I have just eaten.
I wanted to say thank you for your advice encouragement and support I really appreciate it I will definitely take it to heart I have been working harder everyday to do better now I just have to incorporate my exercise and stick with the program thank you again

6 hours ago, lisalou1968 said:

I'm scared that I have stretch my sleeve and that it won't work anymore

As you've discovered....it's you who does the work, not the sleeve:)

Tomorrow is a new day. Your stomach didn't grow back...the tool is still there. Time to work on figuring out how to use it.

You can do this!

As you've discovered....it's you who does the work, not the sleeve:)
Tomorrow is a new day. Your stomach didn't grow back...the tool is still there. Time to work on figuring out how to use it.
You can do this!
You are so right I'm learning as I go I just wish that I would have taken this more seriously 30 days ago when I had my surgery I'm very discouraged as I have not lost the weight that I thought I would I had it all wrong I thought the sleeve would do all the work but thank God I still have it as a tool to help me it does make things easier thank you for your advice I am definitely taking it to heart and making some serious changes again thank you for your encouragement and advise I need all the help I can get I am definitely working harder everyday and incorporating shakes now not drinking while eating Mills 30 minutes before or after now it's just a matter of pushing myself for exercise thank you again good luck to you as well

12 minutes ago, lisalou1968 said:

You are so right I'm learning as I go I just wish that I would have taken this more seriously 30 days ago when I had my surgery I'm very discouraged as I have not lost the weight that I thought I would I had it all wrong I thought the sleeve would do all the work but thank God I still have it as a tool to help me it does make things easier thank you for your advice I am definitely taking it to heart and making some serious changes again thank you for your encouragement and advise I need all the help I can get I am definitely working harder everyday and incorporating shakes now not drinking while eating Mills 30 minutes before or after now it's just a matter of pushing myself for exercise thank you again good luck to you as well

Drinking while you were eating is the reason you were able to eat so much, especially if the foods you were eating were sliders. The liquids washed all the food through your pouch allowing you to refill it over and over. Not eating during meals is a really big deal! And not for 30 minutes afterward, as well. That will give your stomach time to assess and signal satiety.

You definitely should go to the suppprts groups I hope your office has

everyone is different

don’t think you stretched the sleeve

how often do you see your doc????

i see my doc almost every week...I’m 5 weeks out

i see nutrition every week or as much as I want. I call them all the time.

see me....I won’t put it in my mouth till nutrition says ok.

I am terrified of going back in hospital and starting over

also terrified of getting naseaus

which I am anyway

i would say get more in person support

good luck hon

Drinking while you were eating is the reason you were able to eat so much, especially if the foods you were eating were sliders. The liquids washed all the food through your pouch allowing you to refill it over and over. Not eating during meals is a really big deal! And not for 30 minutes afterward, as well. That will give your stomach time to assess and signal satiety.
Thank you for your advice I never read that or new it like I stated I wasn't ready for this surgery at all but now I have learned no drinking and it has really helped me tremendously thank you again for your advice anything you can think of I am open to definitely listening and taking it to heart I have got to get this weight off of me

I guess I have a stomach made out of steel it seems that nothing phases it!!!!!! Or it seems to take a whole lot to disrupt it I know that I can hold more than I am recommended to eat I used to push it to that limit but now I have backed and learning the hard way that I'm not going to lose weight unless I follow the rules

3 minutes ago, lisalou1968 said:

Thank you for your advice I never read that or new it like I stated I wasn't ready for this surgery at all but now I have learned no drinking and it has really helped me tremendously thank you again for your advice anything you can think of I am open to definitely listening and taking it to heart I have got to get this weight off of me

Did your doctor's office not have nutritional class requirements? I realize that they're add different, but it sounds like you got cheated on the preparation side. I agree with Purple Girl, even if your doctor's group doesn't have a bariatric support group, check with local hospitals. I know that the group at my hospital is open to everyone. It doesn't matter where you had your surgery.