Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone expedite the phases

I was curious if anyone has gone through the 4 Phases of your post op diet quicker than 1 phase per week? I am in Phase 2 until Thursday but so far nothing has bothered me. I have always had a pretty heart stomach. I would like to start trying some Phase 3 foods a little early and see how it goes. Any one want to share their experience?

Your stomach is still healing from surgery, why would you risk that? Why not talk to your surgeon, if he/she may offer some insight as to why they have set the post-op phases they have or give you the okay to progress through the phases quicker.

There seems to be a difference of opinion between some doctors. I have heard some people come out of the hospital already In phase 2. Some sources I found say it’s up to the dr based on the patient’s tolerance how quickly they move through the phases. I planned on checking with my dr but wanted to see from the forum how common it was to go shorter than 1 week between phases before I checked with Dr.

Yes I moved through them faster. I pretty much skipped puréed and moved onto soft. I stayed on liquids for one meal and soft for one. I asked my dietician before doing so. Worked well for me.

Im on liquids (phase 2) for two weeks then I move straight to soft foods. No purée phase. I start soft foods Tuesday but today I wanted to see if I could stomach some soft foods bc it was my kids’ bday party and I had Mexican catered and also bc I didn’t want ppl asking why I wasn’t pigging out like usual. I ate about 6-8 bites of refried Beans, ground beef, salsa, and cheese. I felt GREAT! Not a single problem. Man did it feel good to eat normal food (well normal enough for now). I think introducing a bite here and there won’t hurt. I do think eating hard stuff and too much of it might hurt! Hope this helps!

Edited by Dfox1984

I stuck with the first week liquids til day 5, than moved to phase 2 soft/puréed per drs ok. Week two has been pretty much soft foods, but at my two week followup the dr said I was good for any food textures just keep it to the 4 T per meal 🙄 not sure how my nutritionist will like that tomorrow lol. But I’m also not willing to risk tougher or rougher foods yet. Gonna avoid any rough textures and nuts/seeds til at least 6 weeks, when you’re supposedly fully healed.

We had a combined liquid, puree, mushy and soft foods stage for the first month followed by everything else thereafter. The general rule was to try new foods one at a time to test for tolerance - if it settled, OK, great, and if not then back up to familiar things and try again in a week or two;

That said, the safest thing to do is to follow your programs guidelines, and if in doubt, check with them - surgeons often advance patients ahead of their published guidelines if they feel that they are ready for it. We don't know if your program's progression is based upon specific experiences - your surgeon may make his sleeves differently from others such that it needs more time - or if it's just "that's the way we have always done it."

We had a combined liquid, puree, mushy and soft foods stage for the first month followed by everything else thereafter. The general rule was to try new foods one at a time to test for tolerance - if it settled, OK, great, and if not then back up to familiar things and try again in a week or two;
That said, the safest thing to do is to follow your programs guidelines, and if in doubt, check with them - surgeons often advance patients ahead of their published guidelines if they feel that they are ready for it. We don't know if your program's progression is based upon specific experiences - your surgeon may make his sleeves differently from others such that it needs more time - or if it's just "that's the way we have always done it."
I had my surgery on July 3rd and I've tried to progress quicker but my stomach wasn't having it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, pattio466 said:

I had my surgery on July 3rd and I've tried to progress quicker but my stomach wasn't having it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using BariatricPal mobile app

Your stomach is in charge, so follow its' lead. That's why our program had the 'test for tolerance' advice admonition. We all progress at somewhat different rates within a normally expected band of results, inflammation within the new stomach can be highly variable. Some programs will hold all patients back to the progression of the slowest expectations while others will try to hit an average progression. There will always be questions as some will be concerned that they aren't progressing as quickly as others or the program guidelines while others will wonder if something is wrong that they aren't having the problems of others. You can't win in producing these guidelines!