Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOLY COW! Is this Dumping?

OMG, I literally thought I was dying (I'm 13 days post op RNY Gastric Bypass). I was watching Netflix with my son, when all of a sudden I felt sleepy and had instant back pain. I told my son I was going to lie down upstairs. I went upstairs and took some liquid Tylenol for the back pain. Suddenly I felt flushed, rapid heart beat and the pain in my back became unbearable. I couldn't sit. I couldn't lie down. I just sat at the edge of my bed rocking and moaning and dizzy. Then, I felt pangs of pain, kind of like inside under the top of both rib cages on both sides. I couldn't stop trying to breathe the pain out and rock my body back and forth and moan. I felt dizzy and a little hot and felt like any minute I was going to faint and have to be rushed to the hospital. It took about 20 minutes of intense pain and then it disappeared. Was this Dumping? I retraced my steps and diet today and I had one change and that was that I took a flinstone Multivitamin 2 hours ago. I told my doctor the other day that the Bariatric chewable multi-vitamins tasted chalky to me and I could barely stand them. He recommended Flinstones. I just checked the ingredients and there is glucose Syrup and sugar in them. Has anyone experienced these symptoms? Could it be dehydration or is this typical dumping? Sorry, so new to all of this still and I did not take a nutrition class so am learning from all of you and whatever I find online. This was super, super scary.

Well- at first dumping symptoms are pretty dramatic and I might say they feel like they last 20min but they don’t... it could have been dumping? But that early on is mostly when you’ll feel severe symptoms... it will get better. 10 months out I still get dumping often- but not so bad... keep an eye on it, cus it can be other things though hun.

The way you describe that - it sounds exactly like my first episode of dumping! I have never had one so bad since - mine lasted exactly 45 minutes, start to finish. But I could trace mine back to a sweet food. I god rny’d just befor Christmas. I got offered Christmas cake at about week 4. I thought ‘those raisins, fruit bits etc will have a lot of sugar, I will have a thin bit with very little cake” and cut a piece from the side, so what I ate was 90% icing! What a dope! Taught me a tough lesson about thinking things through!!

I don’t know about those Multivitamins. Look at their few sugar content - is it high? I have had less severe dumping twice since, both following eating a Quest Protein Bar, 17g sugar.... it does act as sugar aversion therapy!

Sounds like dumping, but mine is usually related to the amount of a certain item. More item=more dumping, less = not as much dumping. Yours sounds like a severe episode, from something atypical.

I have never seen anyone
report dumping from Vitamins. For me, its liquids or some carbs. For some its fats. Vitamins don't seem to fit the typical profile, but who knows? Can you take 1 am and 1pm?

Also for me, I can eat the same thing 10 days in row and dump 1 time. I am almost 11 months and can't pin it down all the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

It sounds like it could be dumping but 2 hours after a Vitamin doesn’t sound consistent. Hmmm. How much glucose Syrup per serving? There are a lot Bypass folks who take flinstones...I don’t know, hard to tell. I guess the bad part is you’ll know for sure if you take another one.
Another thing it could be is a kidney stone, time will tell.

All of you have lost SO much weight! CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for responding. I do appreciate it. That whole episode was so scary for me. Since I'm so freshly post-op, I'm really not eating much and I've had the same liquids/foods for the last week with no change. @GassyGurl - are you saying that you eat the same thing for 10 days and it's not until the 10th day that you may dump on one of the foods? @SGirl35 - Thank you. I will certainly keep my eye out, and I'm not having another flinstone. I'll call my doctor on Monday to discuss what happened. @Biddy zz - your Christmas cake episode sounded awful. I honestly don't think I could have doubled the time of my pain. 45 minutes would have been too long. Good heads up on the Quest bar. I saw someone eating one of those on a YouTube video and thought I'd love to try one later down the road. Now, not so much. The label on the Vitamins didn't provide much detail. There was only like 2g added sugar and so the only thing that stood out in the ingredients was the glucose Syrup. My other vitamins do not have that and nor does my yogurt or any of the other foods I've been eating. It didn't say how much syrup was in there. @AshAsh1 - I really hope it's not a kidney stone but you do have me thinking. I've had a few before and they had to be lasered out. Not exactly looking for another surgery any time soon. I think you're right that time will tell and I'll just have to see how things go. Thanks again for all of you responding. Appreciate it.

Actually I hate to say this but I didn’t have much pain with dumping. But 20 mins of real pain both sides at the bottom of my ribs - like really painful - does remind me of gallstones! I had my gallbladder out nearly 4 weeks ago. Not uncommon following bariatric surgery, but usually later after a chunk of weight loss.

Fats set off my gall bladder. Sugar set off the dumping. But that is only a rough guide! Gallstones do show up on an ultrasound... keep a good food record so you can see what the triggers are. Glucose Syrup - sounds like a likely dumping culprit...

I think Ash is on to something. Changes in urinary chemistry after RYGB are real. You may indeed be one of those post-op stone-formers. Here's a study I found. Despite all the medical terminology, there's still plenty to soak up in plain English:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4249680/

More...

Follow these dietary recommendations to reduce stone risk: reduction in oxalate-rich and fatty foods to minimize enteric absorption, increased hydration to increase total urine volume and decrease urine supersaturation, calcium supplementation using Calcium citrate instead of calcium carbonate, and citric salts (potassium citrate) to correct metabolic acidosis and hypocitrituria. Probiotics may also be beneficial, although existing data is limited.
Oxalate-controlled diet:

@AshAsh1 & @Missouri-Lee's Summit - I have been convinced since last night that it's a kidney stone. :( Thanks for the helpful articles. I've had 3 kidney stones already (all at once several years ago which needed to be lasered off while under anesthesia) and my Urologist told me at the time that I had more in my kidneys but it could take years before they move out. I actually have 3 kidneys. I know, weird. I think what happened is that when I thought I was dumping, I was actually passing a kidney stone from my Kidney to my ureter. The pain was seriously like death. It was awful. I hope this is not going to be an ongoing issue. I think you're right that the surgery helped speed up the kidney stone process. I'm sure I'm dehydrated. I'm drinking the crystal light lemonade right now. Hope that helps. I have had a constant throbbing pain in my left lower flank area since the Tylenol wore off last night. It's not debilitating but definitely aggravating and constant. I'll call my surgeon tomorrow. Hope this too shall pass without any medical assistance.

Edited by Little Kansas Kitty

Hi from another Triple-Renal. I k,ow there must be more than my parents and me. Mama had a horseshoe one on the right, normal on the left,Daddy 2 on the right, 1 left I am just the reverse. A story you might appreciate. In May 2015 I had a bout of acute idiopathic pancreatitis, called that because I don't drink and my gall bladder had been gone for31 years, the 2 common causes. After a cat scan. they came in and said "Umm we think you might have a tumor." Upon inquiring as to body location I was able to reassure them "That's just the top of my third kidney!" Good thing I am over 70,72 actually or there would be transplant teams who would be chasing me with butterfly nets because,i have all 3 functionally complete renal drainage systems so I could, in theory, spare a couple. I void 1 and half times as often and much but that's just normal,for,me. They are so efficent,i teater on the edge of dehydration most of the time. But c'est,le vie, thats just ME! ,😛

3 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Hi from another Triple-Renal. I k,ow there must be more than my parents and me. Mama had a horseshoe one on the right, normal on the left,Daddy 2 on the right, 1 left I am just the reverse. A story you might appreciate. In May 2015 I had a bout of acute idiopathic pancreatitis, called that because I don't drink and my gall bladder had been gone for31 years, the 2 common causes. After a cat scan. they came in and said "Umm we think you might have a tumor." Upon inquiring as to body location I was able to reassure them "That's just the top of my third kidney!" Good thing I am over 70,72 actually or there would be transplant teams who would be chasing me with butterfly nets because,i have all 3 functionally complete renal drainage systems so I could, in theory, spare a couple. I void 1 and half times as often and much but that's just normal,for,me. They are so efficent,i teater on the edge of dehydration most of the time. But c'est,le vie, thats just ME! ,😛

That's fascinating. I've never met anyone else like this. I have one on my right which does 60% of the work and two on my left which do 40% of the work. They have fused together (so unfortunately cannot donate) but I too have 3 individual working ureters. Do you have trouble with kidney stones?

"It is very important to drink plenty of liquids. Your goal should be 10-12 glasses a day. At least 5-6 glasses should be Water. You may also want to consider drinking lemonade. Research suggests that lemonade may be helpful in reducing the risk of Calcium oxalate stone formation."

I'm not sure Crystal Lite Lemonade qualifies as lemonade, since it's only lemonade flavoring. Perhaps it's too soon for anything too citrusy now, but you might be able to ease into actual lemonade, with real lemons:356_lemon: , in the near future.

I saw that and will add it to my list to ask the doctor tomorrow. I was wishfully thinking the crystal light would suffice. Haha. I'm like you though, and haven't been able to take that many ounces in yet. I know it will get better with time. My dad has had troubles too with kidney stones but hasn't had any instances for 19 years. He drinks cranberry juice every day.

No I have been blessed that way. My mama's right was two fused together but they looked like a horseshoe but she did have 2 ureters. Mine, one goes into the bladder at the normal angle the other goes slightly diagonal about cm to cm and half above it in. Oh yes i,am strange and wonderful. I am lucky my most everything else including my uterus was properly developed. There are some ladies that have a single horned uterus, many of them havetroyblegetti,g pregnant and carrying to term, they invariably only have 1 kidney so I guess we are blessed. Since I am going to,be an RnY we will see if I then become a stone former. Bet I have a better than even chance. Have to go to the urologist tomorrow. Got funny symptom, when I urinate it feels like the urethra snaps shut and I get an electric jolt up my flanks to the kidneys. First suggestion was an UTI, sure doesn't feel like any I have ever had. PCP wanted me,i Lasix to calm down the lymphedema in my left leg but it doesn't seem to speed up the frequency of urination. Kind of puzzling.