Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I’ve had a Gastric Sleeve done nearly 5 weeks ago, everything’s going smoothly however I’ve only pooped like twice in the 5 weeks. Is this normal?

@deargh I’m not sure if twice in 5 weeks is normal, you may want to speak with your dr about that. Are you take Metamucil or any other Fiber supplements? My first several weeks it would be normal for me to go once a week. I am now 6 months postop and I will have a bowel movement about 3 times a week.

Yeah.. I didn’t think so! It’s just I’m not uncomfortable or anything so I thought I might be ok. But I’ll bring it up with my doctor!

Are you getting all of you Protein in?

@tyson4834 no unfortunately I’m getting around 40-50 grams a day

You also may need to increase your fluids, try to get in at least 64oz. If you are drinking Protein Drinks they also count towards your Fluid total. I was using Miralax also, this helps to keep you somewhat regular. You will need more fluids if you take stool softeners like Colace.

I have a little Miralax story. It is causing me grief but you will probably find it humorous. First let me state I have NO problem with Miralax. First had it prescribed when I had opiod induced Constipation post my last knee replacement in February 2017. At that time it came in little packet/ pouches, cut,one open , pour into bottle of Water, shake it up, drink er down, 18 hours or so later, blessed relief and a stool you can pass without making so much noise grumbling that you woke the neighbors. Well,until I intensified my dieting , cut down my portion size et all, things were tickety booming along very nicely down below. No opiod this time but hard to pass stool, so I called PCP,although Miralax is sold over the counter, it is $16-24 whereas my insurance has only A $1.25 co-pay, so which way would you go? Surprise this time instead of the nice premeasured packets I get a bottle and directions of how much,to measure out. Still sounds good? Turning bad shortly. The self-same childproof,lid is also arthritis proof. You are supposed squeeze the sides of that big mammy-jammer lid while turning. I CANNOT DO IT! Oh I tried,even wrapped a rubber band around it, which is an old arthritic trick for leverage, I AM NOT GOING TO PRECIPITATE AN HEART ATTACK TRYING! So I sat it back on the shelf, broke out the cherry tasting milk of magnesia and took a heaping tablespoon and half, the size that usually makes results. When Tomkitten wakes up I'll see if he can loosen it, if not I will take it back to the pharmacist and see if they can trade the lid for a child-friendly one, otherwise I dig out late hubby's Car-fixing Tools and see if there is a wrench that size. In the meantime in between times Mr💩Poo and I are best buddies. And the saddest part, I am still pre-surgical, imagine how I'll be post gastrointestinal tract renovations!💦😪💦

You shouldn't go more than 5 days without pooping. My Dr recommended suppositories and if that doesn't work I could use fleet enema and Miramax. But not stool softeners cuz I just had my surgery on July 3rd.

Sent from my SM-J727T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all!

I’ve had a Gastric Sleeve done nearly 5 weeks ago, everything’s going smoothly however I’ve only pooped like twice in the 5 weeks. Is this normal?
You should go quite a bit more than that . check with your physician immediately.

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

Drink more fluids, I find that when I don't hydrate enough I don't completely GO lol

Good luck OP

Thank you Everyone! I was,poking for the scoop on poop too! 🤣