Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I just joined and I'm wondering if any of you have trouble eating slowly? I'm having a really hard time knowing how long to take between bites. I'm chewing my food well, but I always finish quickly. How do you pace yourself?

Hi everyone! I just joined and I'm wondering if any of you have trouble eating slowly? I'm having a really hard time knowing how long to take between bites. I'm chewing my food well, but I always finish quickly. How do you pace yourself?
Welcome!I also joined a few days ago. I am 3 months out and yes I still have trouble. Lol I still want to eat like I use to it takes time your new tummy will let u know to slow down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I try to remember to set my fork down between bites. It is difficult to eat slowly when my family scarfs everything down. I try and keep a conversation going because I can't talk with my mouth full.

28 minutes ago, Jolie18 said:

Baritastic app has a timer for chewing. I used it for 2 weeks, and never had to again. Muscle has memory, and you just get used to eating slower after it becomes a habit.

42 minutes ago, Jolie18 said:

Putting things down is a huge help. There are lots of apps and timers, etc. It can be a hard habit to get into, given we've spent decades eating faster. So it's hard at first, but if you pay attention, eventually it becomes second nature, just have to work to erase the old habit and start the new one. But the biggest advice I can give you, is try your hardest at slowing down, just keep trying, and you'll get there!

I had a hard time at first - especially when I was on puree's and soft foods because there wasn't really much chewing involved... I sat myself up at the table with my food and either a book or puzzle. I would have a set number of pages to read or pieces to 'solve' in between bites. So, take a bite then set my fork down and read two pages. Then take my next bite. Once I was eating more solid foods it was easier because I would chew longer - and my brain/muscles just figure out how to eat slower.

It's easier for me when I'm not at home and at someone's house because i don't shut up. At home I eat too fast because nobody talks so I have to remind myself to chew slowly, putting my fork down helps too, the old weight watchers move. I also cut my food up into tiny bites still and sometimes still use a baby fork or spoon.

I usually play on my phone in between bites. Also I think about what will happen if I eat too fast, I’ll get sick and have to vomit it up!

Eating slower and not drinking too fast has taken a bit to get used to. Gulped down some Water and it was really painful.. try to only sip now.. my stomach is quick to let me know if I’m eating too fast as well. I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it soon :)

On 7/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, Jolie18 said:

I actually was going to start a new thread about this very subject. Thank you for starting it. I learned how to eat fast in Navy boot camp and have never looked back. Now, I have to force myself to eat slower and am looking for strategies on how to do that. So far, everyone's input is awesome! Thank you!

On 7/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, AshAsh1 said:

Baritastic app has a timer for chewing. I used it for 2 weeks, and never had to again. Muscle has memory, and you just get used to eating slower after it becomes a habit.

I've used their timer, but I wish it had a single chime or bell at the end of the 30 seconds for chewing. I hate having to stare at the app to know when I can swallow my mastication. I tend to want to do other things while eating.

On the not-drinking after eating for 30 minutes, I've been setting the iPhone timer or asking Siri to set a 30-minute timer on my Apple Watch for that. Other than talking to my wrist, using Siri on my watch has been helpful.

Most instructions will be to eat over 20 minutes. Counting or timing chews is tedious. Just devide your food into 4ths and set a stopwatch or use a clock for 5 minutes for each division. Or further devide into 8ths and eat each divisions over 2.5 minutes. Each division could be several bites. So if you set your timer, you'll know at 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5 and 20 minutes to finish each division. And just be sure to chew everything well. And stop if you are full.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 7/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, wjgo said:

Most instructions will be to eat over 20 minutes. Counting or timing chews is tedious. Just devide your food into 4ths and set a stopwatch or use a clock for 5 minutes for each division. Or further devide into 8ths and eat each divisions over 2.5 minutes. Each division could be several bites. So if you set your timer, you'll know at 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5 and 20 minutes to finish each division. And just be sure to chew everything well. And stop if you are full.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

That's a great idea... now if I could only remember to set my 30-minute timer for drinking after eating... baby steps!