Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite back with a vengance!

Protein has calories. It has four calories per gram so 58.7 calories is about 15 grams of protein. Not the 30 it claims. Count it as 15 and you’re probably good

46 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Well no..., your list in the initial post lists—tea with milk and SUGAR, toast with avocado, two cups blended Soup (don’t know what kind) a pack of popped chips, a Protein Bar, a Fiber One Bar (loaded with simple carbs and sugar), 2 shortbread biscuits the dark chocolate and the Mac an cheese pie.

So let’s just be honest here. It was more than a Protein bar and the dark chocolate

yup. Thank goodness its all gone now. Most were things left over after my parents left.

Today is another day

59 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Protein has calories. It has four calories per gram so 58.7 calories is about 15 grams of Protein. Not the 30 it claims. Count it as 15 and you’re probably good

Not wanting to step on Jess's toes, but to clarify, she is referring to GENEPRO. It is not possible for it to contain the 30 g of protein it claims to, with the calorie count it claims (and actual weight of the product)

On 7/4/2018 at 4:14 PM, BajanSleeve said:

tea, milk and sugar - a piece of toast with butter and avocado - 2 cups of blended Soup - a pack of popped chips - a Protein Bar - a Fiber One Bar - 2 short bread biscuits - 2 large squares of dark chocolate - about a 1/4 cup of macaroni and cheese pie

the common thing here is processed carbs and sugar. The more of these you consume the hungrier you will get.

you can eat a lot more processed carbs than you can veggies. I see a real lack of making Protein and then veggies your primary meal choices.

get the sugar and carbs out of your diet and the hunger will decrease.

On 07/06/2018 at 13:56, sillykitty said:

Not wanting to step on Jess's toes, but to clarify, she is referring to GENEPRO. It is not possible for it to contain the 30 g of Protein it claims to, with the calorie count it claims (and actual weight of the product)

I can’t make the new app work the way I want it to! Yes I was trying to quote her post asking about GENEPRO. She said she didn’t know how it could have those calories and no carbs.

Everyone has days when they go overboard. It happens. It is not the end of the world (though if you're diabetic, it's considerably more serious in terms of repercussions).

It sounds like you're stuck in a really crappy situation where money is tight, healthcare is thin on the ground, and the feeling of hunger is driving you up the wall. Much of the advice you've gotten here is actionable, and I think you've done a damn good job being pretty measured in your responses. From the sound of it, this is head hunger - which is of course almost identical to physical hunger, in intensity and what it compels you to do. Just because it's head hunger doesn't mean it's not legit.

I've mentioned elsewhere that my pre-op understanding of "after the surgery, you'll eat to satisfaction" wasn't proven out in my experience. I don't eat to my previous understanding of "satisfaction". I don't get that endorphin kick anymore, which I used to get after overeating. That might be what you're missing, a level of contentment that just doesn't exist anymore because you won't be able to eat enough to activate that chemical burst, but you're subconsciously trying by telling yourself you're hungry and overeating. But that sensation's gone for a while, possibly forever. Once you switch your mindset and start eating to fuel your body physically rather than looking to reward your brain chemically, it gets easier.

For where you are right now, I'd avoid the smoothies. Liquified calories when battling back head hunger is not something I like to do, and part of what you might be craving is the ritual of chewing. I know absolutely nothing about diabetes so can't pitch in there, but the advice you got on the first page about avoiding slider foods and grazing seems to be the first things you can tackle successfully; get a flavor fix between meals with Crystal Lite or something. If soft eggs aren't your thing (though keep trying until they are), can you try that Ricotta Bake recipe? Even the blended chicken you're eating right now is pretty close to liquid, and unlikely to fill you up for long, which would make the head hunger worse.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:11 PM, AshAsh1 said:

Clearly..... not a great attitude. I see why you are frustrated, but saying that you can't eat meat....is not indicative of whether you will succeed. There are vegetarians and vegans that have WLS and get their Protein from plant based foods or soy meat.

Have you tried other protein high foods besides meat? A few that comes to mind:
- Greek Yogurt
-Cottage Cheese
-Refried Beans

Your hunger isn't real hunger though. It's head hunger. Until you get a grip on your mind... you won't succeed. Like I mentioned in my first post. You have to find a replacement for boredom, stress, whatever makes you eat. Go for a walk, scrub the kitchen floor, dance in your underwear.

“Dance in your underwear.” Love it! ❤️

On 07/05/2018 at 13:16, BajanSleeve said:

There are two weight loss clinics in Barbados. They are less expensive than Strong Hope but are expensive as well. You have to buy a 'package' of treatments. And guess what? I went through one of the programs in 2016. I lost 45 lbs and gained back 55 lbs

Its self discipline. Thinking the VSG was going to magically take away my hunger was a wrong concept. There is no way around old fashioned discipline and self denial. you cannot have what you want and think you are not going to pay the consequences of it when it comes to food.

Do you have access to reliable internet? Please see if there is anything online that can be accessed for free such as guide books or step programs and online therapist check ins or group chats

On 07/05/2018 at 14:59, BajanSleeve said:

@FancyChristine15

Are you tracking what you eat? - yes. that is why I know I am eating too many calories. But I make home made Soups and I don't know how to really track those calories accurately

Are you getting in at least 64 ounces of Water? - no. I cant drink plain Water, makes me feel sick. So I am up to about 50 oz of liquid intake now

Are you eating/drinking at least 60-80 grams of Protein every day? - yes. I have 90 grams of Protein in protein powders in my daily drink and some additional protein via food

Are you exercising? - My post op info says no exercise until after 4 weeks. so I am week 5 now. My treadmill is broken and I have someone coming to look at it tomorrow. I live WAY out in the country side and it is not safe to walk. If the treadmill cant be fixed, I will have to walk up and down the drive way and do YouTube exercise videos.

Are you taking your supplements? - yes. I have tons! Right now I take daily multi V, Vitamin B and Calcium. I will add Biotin at 2 months for Hair loss and I take Iron once a week. I have supplement Patches and pills, liquids too. I bought a whole bunch to bring home to Barbados with me enough for 6 months

People I KNOW what you are supposed to eat. I studied this surgery for a year. But practically I am struggling with the fact that I am one of those people whose hunger was never diminished.

I am not an idiot. I think I keep saying that the surgery is not the easy ticket out. I am expressing disappointment however that the anticipation I had from the research I did concerning a significant decrease in hunger has not been my experience from the surgery. And yes, I was sincerely hoping and had that expectation that at LEAST I would not be feeling hunger the way I used to pre surgery and quite frankly I have had ZERO change in that regard

ALL liquids count towards your Fluid goal of 64 oz

Please keep hydrating , we hear you , you're hungry but you are also thirsty too and may just not realize it , find something you like that is no or low calorie and sugar free and drink drink drink please. You should generally spend most of your day hydrating and not eating especially that soon after surgery.

Girl you picked the wrong surgery. You have a true food addiction you like to eat and you over indulge on “bad foods”. I was the same way and that’s why I didn’t pick the sleeve. Im sure the sleeve people have great success but I needed MORE!

Doing really good. Lost 3 lbs! Treadmill was fixed and I have been doing 45 minutes per day since Friday.

I increased my liquid intake, not that I thought I was dehydrated but one thing that I did do was I stopped taking liquid Vitamin B daily because I read that it increases appetite. I have definitely felt a difference! My Multivitamin has in B Vitamins but I was taking additional for energy

The mushes I was making was what was recommended to me by the hospital to make i.e. sweet potatoes pumpkin with a bit of pea AS A DIABETIC. People have all kinds of views and opinions about things and some things you have to take in stride in a public forum.

I've been enjoying smoothies that are under 200 calories with lots of nutrient dense stuff including Greek yogurt in them as I am not a big yogurt eater.

I tried eggs again tonight and YAY I was able to eat one scrambled egg with two tablespoons of cottage cheese. It hurt only slightly but nothing at all like before which means my tolerance for eggs is coming back.

Did my first large grocery shop today since surgery and on my own. Was successful in getting good things except for my hurricane supply box and buying non perishable items. I do have Protein Bars in there and some crackers, tinned stuff, Lets hope that on more than one level I don't have to use them!

Great job! Keep up the good hard work! I'm proud of you.

Hi BajanSleeve,

I'm sorry you're struggling. I have had some similar problems. Before surgery I heard over and over again that I wouldn't be hungry, that I'd have to struggle to get in enough calories/protein/water, etc., and the weight loss would be rapid and relatively easy for at least a year. That has not been my experience at all. I have been HUNGRY every day, and I also haven't felt as much restriction as I expected. My weight loss has been slower than I thought it would be. I am working hard to try and accept these 3 things instead of being angry or upset about them. It's not easy. I feel cheated sometimes.

As for food choices, I go through a lot of trial and error to find the right combinations of things so I feel satisfied and don't get hungry again a short time later. I think you will feel much better when you are able to tolerate meat or eggs and when you can exercise. My team recommends eating Protein first, then vegetables, then carbs. That usually works well for me. Maybe that would work for you too, instead of mixing your foods together. It won't hurt and it might help.

Please keep trying new things and don't give up. Good luck!

On 7/5/2018 at 12:19 PM, BajanSleeve said:

I find it laughable when people say the hunger is not real. I know the difference between emotional eating, binge eating and comfort eating. I feel very hungry

I am not sure if its hormonal or connected to the diabetes. I should not be this hungry even though my glucose levels are not fully controlled they are not as bad as they used to be. I am concerned that if I increase my insulin shots that I may get hypoglycemic so I have been conservative with the amount I take

I eat greek yogurt. I hate cottage cheese. I do eat string cheese. I really hate refried Beans. I eat nuts/almonds for Protein as well. high in calories but not in carbs.

These were items that were left in the house prior to surgery that I ate. does not mean I will buy more to replace them

I felt this way the moment I left the hospital, thinking I know my hunger when truthfully I don't. How about you ignore your "hunger" and just make sure you're getting in everything that you need each day, meaning hitting your target Protein and calories only and just spreading it out per day. food just gives you energy. It's not something you're supposed to naturally want to indulge in, we build those negative traits and habits over the years. Everything you saying is very negative and like your shifting the blame. For one your taste buds change after surgery truthfully, I used to hate cottage cheese as well but now in my purred stage I sprinkle on some salt-free dissolvable seasoning and I love it. This surgery is about making changes good changes to make for a better future. Like everyone says it was a tool, treat it like one, the weight isn't going to magically fall off. Just because the items were left in your house doesn't mean you NEED to eat them. You should have removed them before surgery that's what I did it helped just keep the idea of them out of my head. Like you said you spent over 6k on this surgery take control of your life this forum is as well a great tool im 4wks out rn and this honestly has been one of my only aides besides my care team. If you listen and take the criticism and advice you will be successful eventually.

Im sorry that you feel so discouraged but you lost 36lbs thats amazing and as long as you listen and try YOUR very best you will come out of this your best self

much love🦋