Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite back with a vengance!

I am a type l diabetic and my fasting surgery are now at 70 - 80 . My higher ends are at 100 - 120 about 45 minutes to an hour after eating . I have not even had surgery yet.. I follow the diet I was given by my NUT, I exercise 5 days a week by swimming laps 2 hrs . I agree with AshAsh you are not going to go into coma with your fasting readings. If so then we would already of been there. Yes everyone is different but we have to follow our food plans. You can’t tell me you were not told want to eat after surgery no matter where you had it. There are plenty of web sites that have barbaric diets for all stages you can follow. Go back to the basics 5 to 6 Protein Shakes a day with either 1% milk, unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk. Don’t add anything else to it. Drink your shake over a 30 minute period and follow the 30/30 rule ( no fluids 30 minutes before and after meals). Drink Water or Decaf tea between meals and no sugar added to it.

1 hour ago, IveGotThePower said:

Just one more thing. fruit seems like a healthy food. But look up the number of carbs in them. A banana has 27 carbs! On a low carb Keto diet, they suggest approximately 20 grams of carbs PER DAY. Even now, I am surprised sometimes at the carb count in seemingly "healthy" foods. My nutritionist told me that cutting out the fruit was something to consider to keep loosing. We have all had to re learn what "healthy" is for us. Start reading labels for everything you eat. I spend extra time in the grocery store reading labels every time I go. It is an eye opener. I am glad you posted here and are interacting. Don't give up. You will get lots of advice for what works for each person. Find what works for you.

I agree. I should only use half of one in a smoothie. I choose strawberries and blue berries because they are low glycemic as well as cucumber and spinach. If I were only eating one banana and then not eating much else during the day it may not be so bad but I am eating a lot more now

Banana and mango great tasting in smoothies but high glycemic

10 minutes ago, kimberlymi said:

I am a type l diabetic and my fasting surgery are now at 70 - 80 . My higher ends are at 100 - 120 about 45 minutes to an hour after eating . I have not even had surgery yet.. I follow the diet I was given by my NUT, I exercise 5 days a week by swimming laps 2 hrs . I agree with AshAsh you are not going to go into coma with your fasting readings. If so then we would already of been there. Yes everyone is different but we have to follow our food plans. You can’t tell me you were not told want to eat after surgery no matter where you had it. There are plenty of web sites that have barbaric diets for all stages you can follow. Go back to the basics 5 to 6 Protein Shakes a day with either 1% milk, unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk. Don’t add anything else to it. Drink your shake over a 30 minute period and follow the 30/30 rule ( no fluids 30 minutes before and after meals). Drink Water or Decaf tea between meals and no sugar added to it.

The regulation of type I and type 2 will differ as yours is autoimmune and mine is metabolic. You do not have any information on your profile so not seeing how much you currently weigh. I am still very large at 265 lbs. As my weight comes down my BG will also change as it has already changed due to weight loss. I am taking a lot less insulin now than 5 weeks ago. The ultimate goal is NO insulin resulting from a large weight loss. I know its possible.

When my BG gets to 5 I start to feel hypo. Everyone is different

I really wish that I could just 'go back' to Protein Shakes. Very early post op i could not eat or drink much. But the hunger I am experiencing NOW is what is throwing me off and I am trying to satiate myself. I did not get to almost 300 lbs because I decided I could just not eat. Said no morbidly obese person. LOL that is funny.

I am going to check with my doctor in Mexico if they will allow me to take an appetite suppressant since my blood pressure is now very good

Edited by BajanSleeve

On 07/05/2018 at 20:26, BajanSleeve said:

She has excuses for not seeking help.

What help am I not seeking? A $5000 spa treatment center? A $1500 dollar package that I already went on from the 2 clinics in Barbados? Can I do this unemployed for over 2 years? This is what I mean by taking things in their context. I do not live in America. The help I can currently access is via these forums and by online research. These are valid means of 'seeking help'

I feel for your situation but I don’t think you need a spa treatment center. I think a regular therapist or NUT could do wonders. I never suggested a treatment center.

07/05/2018 08:21 PM, BajanSleeve said:

Ash - One more thing, this particular OP has made a lot of excuses for her actions and has a rebuttal for every offered piece of advice.

have you really read what I said? Your comment makes me feel that you really have not read or processed what I said in its context. But this is OK. Lets not flog an apparently dead or misunderstood horse ^_^

I think that people do not come here to put people down. But I do believe that listening (in this forum that equates to reading) and really hearing does not always happen. People listen to form a response sometimes more than actually listening

For example - Ash is still going on about the crap I ate (crap being Protein Bars and some tiny left over mac pie and the end of bread left from my parents visit) but has completely ignored that these were items left in the house and are now gone and that I ate them from significant hunger that I was not feeling satisfied with the legitimate foods. I did not go out and buy junk and binge, I did not go to a fast food. No one has a perfect track record with no cheats. No one and if they act like it, they are lying.

I hope that this constant hunger will be reigned in somehow. I had it the day after my surgery and I even wrote about that too because it shocked me. THIS was the core purpose of my post - dealing with hunger when I was not expecting it from the VSG not so early

I am a straight shooter too so I don't mind that one bit. The older you get, the more you appreciate cutting to the chase. As we say in my country - i doan want no lotta long talk. Sometimes in these forums you can go down a rabbit hole and get distracted. I felt frustrated that people were taking my vent out of its context and my not acknowledging the core of my frustration that I am disappointed my hunger and appetite is raging so soon

I eat good healthy organic foods and follow the protocols on my list. Not hitting the 65 oz yet but i bet you a million dollars that many are not there yet close post surgery. Does this quit my hunger? NOPE.

I was “going on” about the crap you ate because you were saying you were hungry, and that was the list of items you chose to share that you ate that day..... I don’t think I ever accused you of buying junk food or eating fast food. I even explained why I thought those were bad choices, based upon your grievances with hunger. I answered based upon  the info you provided. I read every word. You are choosing to assume that I’m not taking things in the right context. I’m pointing out the most important parts of your story. 

This thread is frustrating. But it's because of the OP. It doesn't matter if you had food left over from a family visit. You throw it away and take control. Stop the excuses. It's not a good look, sis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

This thread is frustrating. But it's because of the OP. It doesn't matter if you had food left over from a family visit. You throw it away and take control. Stop the excuses. It's not a good look, sis.

And I'm not perfect but excuses are excuses.

6 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:
53 minutes ago, BajanSleeve said:

She has excuses for not seeking help.

What help am I not seeking? A $5000 spa treatment center? A $1500 dollar package that I already went on from the 2 clinics in Barbados? Can I do this unemployed for over 2 years? This is what I mean by taking things in their context. I do not live in America. The help I can currently access is via these forums and by online research. These are valid means of 'seeking help'

I feel for your situation but I don’t think you need a spa treatment center. I think a regular therapist or NUT could do wonders. I never suggested a treatment center.

There were a couple posts made on this thread referring to a spa treatment center from a google search. I have been to NUTS when I qualified for health care. The last one I went to was in 2015 when I first considered this surgery. I also saw one through the program I went on following in 2015. We do not have stand alone food therapists here unless connected with a treatment center.

It may be something I can look into again when I am employed

Edited by BajanSleeve

1 minute ago, VanessaKaye said:

Thank you Vanessa. The day that you have a cheat day and eat things that are not on the program will you come back and let us know? LOL because that will NEVER happen, right? Uh-huh. Please...…….be real...……….

On 07/05/2018 at 21:17, BajanSleeve said:

There were a couple posts made referring to a treatment center. I have been to NUTS when I qualified for health care. The last one I went to was in 2015 when I first considered this surgery. I also saw one through the program I went on following in 2015. We do not have stand alone food therapists here unless connected with a treatment center.

It may be something I can look into again when I am employed

Again, I wasn’t the person who suggested a spa treatment center. Even if you had the money, I’d say it’s not necessary. I’m dismayed to hear that there isn’t therapists or NUTs offered in your area. I would take advantage of any literature for nutrition or diabetes you can get your hands on.

Hi Bajan, Premier Protien Shakes/Powder has 30grams of Protein and 5 carbs. It taste amazing and very fulfilling. You can buy the at Walmart or any drug store. Why don’t you try the 4 pack to see if it helps.

On 07/05/2018 at 21:19, BajanSleeve said:

Thank you Vanessa. The day that you have a cheat day and eat things that are not on the program will you come back and let us know? LOL because that will NEVER happen, right? Uh-huh. Please...…….be real...……….

The difference is that you made a post about *hunger* and chose to say that those were your food choices.

Thank you @michelle721 If I get the opportunity to have a friend bring some of that brand from the States to Barbados I will try some. I have heard others speak positively about that brand. I have enough Protein Powder here to last me for 6 months.

LOL Girlfriend. I'm not the one trying to defend bad choices. But you do you. Good luck on your weight loss, girl.

Listen, I’m done. You don’t seem to care for my advice. I don’t spend time talking to people to sit around and have pity parties or offer unsound advice. I genuinely cared about your problem, and can relate to your disease. I even was PM a friend on here about sending you testing supplies, I care. I didn’t ever ridicule or beat you up. I just pointed out the flaws to your method. I didn’t attack your character, or even question your commitment to the process. No one is ever going to be on the exact same page. Some people, you can never offer the right advice.