Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite back with a vengance!

Hi Banjas, What Protein Powder or shakes are you using? A lot of the Protein powders are high in Carbs and low in protein. Make sure you protein powder has 5 or less grams of Carbs and 30 grams of protein. This will reduce the spike with your insulin and keep you full longer. Also try primer protein Water to help you with her hunger in between meals. I know you can do this. So say strong and keep pressing forward.

Just one more thing. fruit seems like a healthy food. But look up the number of carbs in them. A banana has 27 carbs! On a low carb Keto diet, they suggest approximately 20 grams of carbs PER DAY. Even now, I am surprised sometimes at the carb count in seemingly "healthy" foods. My nutritionist told me that cutting out the fruit was something to consider to keep loosing. We have all had to re learn what "healthy" is for us. Start reading labels for everything you eat. I spend extra time in the grocery store reading labels every time I go. It is an eye opener. I am glad you posted here and are interacting. Don't give up. You will get lots of advice for what works for each person. Find what works for you.

This is the most frustrating thread I have experienced in this forum, which is a first. Except for a few who are getting the crux of what i was trying to vent about.
It would seem that everyone has kept such a perfect track record that they have NEVER deviated or cheated...EVER. good for you!
I posted that I was disappointed about my expectation that hunger would be diminished as I had read it would be. my hunger never abated and I expressed disappointment in an expectation that was created about that from my research prior to surgery. I feel discouraged that I am not experiencing what I had READ and was told in pre surgery stages concerning hunger and appetite diminishing. I hope someone reads this and gets a picture that it may also not go that way with you. Some people seem to do well with not feeling as much hunger, but apparently that is not so for each person. I actually never heard of that when I was researching the VSG
I expressed that my parents had come back with me after surgery and that there was some food items here left from before I travelled. A total of 2 Protein Bars and some dark chocolate and the mac pie left from my parents trip. I ate them. Because I felt starving in addition to the 'healthy' foods I had pre prepared and eating all of the stuff that is on my list to eat. You are all getting on as if I have lived in Burger King for the last 2 days. Please keep things in their correct perspective
I am encouraged to see that some people have never deviated or struggled with going off track and that persons have overcome their hunger. Which makes those who struggle with it feel really special LOL
Ah well. Thank you
Well side !!!I am a newbie and after reading all of this now I am afraid to say anything. Lol I to thought we come for support not to be put down. It will get better u just keep working at it. We are all humans and will fall short sometimes in life. Enjoy your day [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I apologize if anything I have posted was taken as a put down. I will say that my tone is the exact same one I have taken with myself and yes, many of us are straight shooters. We are very passionate about this. We have gone through it and we post because we want to help others. We have tried so many things just like you for years and we do empathize with your struggles. I assure you, our intent is good and we truly want you to succeed.

On 07/05/2018 at 19:16, Francine2 said:

Well side !!!I am a newbie and after reading all of this now I am afraid to say anything. Lol I to thought we come for support not to be put down. It will get better u just keep working at it. We are all humans and will fall short sometimes in life. Enjoy your day

I don’t believe in my heart that anyone put her down. You come to this site for honest advice and guidance, and that’s what we will give. Giving her less than what I said would be doing her a disservice. If you want just, “oh that’s okay, everyone makes mistakes” then you might not get that from people who know the *right* ways to do this and who have been successful. I will occasionally share my failures on here, but I’m not going to do it if it enables the persons behaviors.

07/05/2018 07:16 PM, Francine2 said:

Well side !!!I am a newbie and after reading all of this now I am afraid to say anything. Lol I to thought we come for support not to be put down. It will get better u just keep working at it. We are all humans and will fall short sometimes in life. Enjoy your day

One more thing, this particular OP has made a lot of excuses for her actions and has a rebuttal for every offered piece of advice. It’s hard to help people who aren’t open minded, and who can’t admit they’ve messed up. She said she knows what to eat, but lists a days worth of crap. She says she has real hunger, but isn’t eating foods that will fill that void. She has excuses for not seeking help. I’m not a believer in helplessness. Everyone can help themselves. Even if you jog in place in the bathroom, that’s exercise. Even if you throw back a Protein Shake like it’s medicine, it’s still Protein.
This community isn’t just a big b*tch session, it’s about getting honest input from people who are going through or went through similar circumstances. I won’t ever sway from honesty. I didn’t ridicule anyone. And if it comes across that way, then the OP needs to take a good look in the mirror and see why that bothers them? Why does my advice bother you? Chances are because they know what they are doing is wrong and being wrong is a hard thing to swallow.
And I will be there for you when you have these moments in the same way. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly.

On 07/05/2018 at 19:15, IveGotThePower said:

Just one more thing. fruit seems like a healthy food. But look up the number of carbs in them. A banana has 27 carbs! On a low carb Keto diet, they suggest approximately 20 grams of carbs PER DAY. Even now, I am surprised sometimes at the carb count in seemingly "healthy" foods. My nutritionist told me that cutting out the fruit was something to consider to keep loosing. We have all had to re learn what "healthy" is for us. Start reading labels for everything you eat. I spend extra time in the grocery store reading labels every time I go. It is an eye opener. I am glad you posted here and are interacting. Don't give up. You will get lots of advice for what works for each person. Find what works for you.

You are sooo right about fruit. The first thing I do when I stall is cut fruit. So many carbs and excess sugar.

1 hour ago, jennifer13658 said:

I feel like I’m going nuts bc I was under the impression after the bypass you had considerable time before you felt that! Every time I’m around food my tummy feel “funny”. Not quite a growl but definitely empty! I’m panicking bc I am sad that it isn’t stopping even after my Protein Drinks. I have lost 20 pounds from the liver reduction diet and obviously surgery, but I just want it to stop.

This is the definition of head hunger. It feels identical to real hunger, but it only happens when you are triggered. So in your case seeing and smelling food is a trigger, but it can be a TV commercial, or someone talking about a meal, etc..

One more thing, this particular OP has made a lot of excuses for her actions and has a rebuttal for every offered piece of advice. It’s hard to help people who aren’t open minded, and who can’t admit they’ve messed up. She said she knows what to eat, but lists a days worth of crap. She says she has real hunger, but isn’t eating foods that will fill that void. She has excuses for not seeking help. I’m not a believer in helplessness. Everyone can help themselves. Even if you jog in place in the bathroom, that’s exercise. Even if you throw back a Protein Shake like it’s medicine, it’s still Protein.
This community isn’t just a big b*tch session, it’s about getting honest input from people who are going through or went through similar circumstances. I won’t ever sway from honesty. I didn’t ridicule anyone. And if it comes across that way, then the OP needs to take a good look in the mirror and see why that bothers them? Why does my advice bother you? Chances are because they know what they are doing is wrong and being wrong is a hard thing to swallow. And I will be there for you when you have these moments in the same way. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Are u asking me why your advice bothers me??

On 07/05/2018 at 19:59, Francine2 said:

Are u asking me why your advice bothers me??

No not you specifically, I’m saying in general. More directed towards the OP who started the thread. But you mentioned you were scared to post, or didn’t like the answers...I was being general.

On 07/05/2018 at 19:59, sillykitty said:

This is the definition of head hunger. It feels identical to real hunger, but it only happens when you are triggered. So in your case seeing and smelling food is a trigger, but it can be a TV commercial, or someone talking about a meal, etc..

Yes correct, but it can also happen from emotions or stress. I posted this link that had a chart (earlier in this post) it gives the run down, and it’s a lot more complex than I would have thought before.

Ash - One more thing, this particular OP has made a lot of excuses for her actions and has a rebuttal for every offered piece of advice.

have you really read what I said? Your comment makes me feel that you really have not read or processed what I said in its context. But this is OK. Lets not flog an apparently dead or misunderstood horse ^_^

I think that people do not come here to put people down. But I do believe that listening (in this forum that equates to reading) and really hearing does not always happen. People listen to form a response sometimes more than actually listening

For example - Ash is still going on about the crap I ate (crap being Protein bars and some tiny left over mac pie and the end of bread left from my parents visit) but has completely ignored that these were items left in the house and are now gone and that I ate them from significant hunger that I was not feeling satisfied with the legitimate foods. I did not go out and buy junk and binge, I did not go to a fast food. No one has a perfect track record with no cheats. No one and if they act like it, they are lying.

I hope that this constant hunger will be reigned in somehow. I had it the day after my surgery and I even wrote about that too because it shocked me. THIS was the core purpose of my post - dealing with hunger when I was not expecting it from the VSG not so early

I am a straight shooter too so I don't mind that one bit. The older you get, the more you appreciate cutting to the chase. As we say in my country - i doan want no lotta long talk. Sometimes in these forums you can go down a rabbit hole and get distracted. I felt frustrated that people were taking my vent out of its context and my not acknowledging the core of my frustration that I am disappointed my hunger and appetite is raging so soon

I eat good healthy organic foods and follow the protocols on my list. Not hitting the 65 oz yet but i bet you a million dollars that many are not there yet close post surgery. Does this quit my hunger? NOPE.

She has excuses for not seeking help.

What help am I not seeking? A $5000 spa treatment center? A $1500 dollar package that I already went on from the 2 clinics in Barbados? Can I do this unemployed for over 2 years? This is what I mean by taking things in their context. I do not live in America. The help I can currently access is via these forums and by online research. These are valid means of 'seeking help'

Edited by BajanSleeve

1 hour ago, michelle0721 said:

Hi Banjas, What Protein Powder or shakes are you using? A lot of the Protein powders are high in Carbs and low in Protein. Make sure you protein powder has 5 or less grams of Carbs and 30 grams of protein. This will reduce the spike with your insulin and keep you full longer. Also try primer protein Water to help you with her hunger in between meals. I know you can do this. So say strong and keep pressing forward.

Hi Michelle. I use the genpro 2nd generation flavourless protein which I bought from this website actually. It is 'supposed' to have 30 grams of protein, no sugar or carbs but I posted this in another thread and someone posted links that the company that owns genpro was sued in 2015 for not having the claimed protein in the powder. All I can say is that I HOPE that since it still continues to be sold and since its the reboot (2nd generation) that they have rectified this. Which may be wishful thinking...…...sigh. I do not see that is possible for protein to have 58.7 calories per scoop but no carbs? but that is what it says https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/genepro-medical-grade-protein-powder-2nd-generation

I cannot access high grade protein powders in Barbados. I bought all of my supplies ahead of my surgery which was overseas and brought them back with me. They do have protein powders here but they are high carb and taste very grainy and don't have the flavourless kind, only vanilla, strawberry, etc.

Edited by BajanSleeve