Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite back with a vengance!

26 minutes ago, BajanSleeve said:

I used to take the rapid acting in the morning before Breakfast and at night before dinner. The long acting was the morning and 12 hours later in the evening.

Sadly, I cannot be testing throughout the whole day because the testing strips are very expensive and I use the cheaper ones too, a brand from China called Sky Era. In an ideal situation I would be testing more. You are referring to doing a curve and I have not done one in a long time. Do you use a pump?

Barbados has one of the highest rates of diabetes in the WORLD per capita. Our government provides health care up to a point. Can you imagine that diabetics are dispensed only 10 needles for the whole month? They have to be reused. And the strips are only enough to be tested twice a day. No wonder we have so many amputees.

I would test before Breakfast and 1 hour after dinner. You want to take advantage of what little info you are able to gain. What is your typical fasting blood glucose level?

1 minute ago, Losingit2018 said:

I have found that the key to eating eggs (for me) is to make sure that they are cooked soft or have some type of sauce on them. They must be moist in order for me to eat them. I mash up 2 hard boiled eggs with a bit of greek yogurt and it works very well.

I agree. Hard boiled eggs don't sit as well as a over-easy or sunny side up egg for example.

I would test before Breakfast and 1 hour after dinner. You want to take advantage of what little info you are able to gain. What is your typical fasting blood glucose level?

Those are exactly the times that I test. Post surgery my BS is about 12 for fasting. I purposely do not take a lot of insulin at night because I live alone and if I go hypo there is no one here to help me get glucose or shake out of it if I am sleeping. I am happy with 8-10 for fasting levels right now

I was a completely out of control diabetic. I only started to reign it in about 4 months ago when I had my ah ha moment. In my out of control days I was regularly at 26-31 at night and fasting levels of 18-23. Crazy numbers

Edited by BajanSleeve

3 minutes ago, BajanSleeve said:

There are two weight loss clinics in Barbados. They are less expensive than Strong Hope but are expensive as well. You have to buy a 'package' of treatments. And guess what? I went through one of the programs in 2016. I lost 45 lbs and gained back 55 lbs

Its self discipline. Thinking the VSG was going to magically take away my hunger was a wrong concept. There is no way around old fashioned discipline and self denial. you cannot have what you want and think you are not going to pay the consequences of it when it comes to food.

If you cut way down or completely cut out most of the carbs that you are eating, you would see a HUGE difference not only in your BS but also in your appetite.

Eating carbs puts us in a vicious cycle and you will continue to be hungry and crave carbs. Try it. Even just for a week or so. You will see a major difference.

1 minute ago, BajanSleeve said:

Those are exactly the times that I test. Post surgery my BS is about 12 for fasting. I purposely do not take a lot of insulin at night because I live alone and if I go hypo there is no one here to help me get glucose or shake out of it if I am sleeping. I am happy with 8-10 for fasting levels right now

I'm confused, maybe I didn't ask that right..... for example... my fasting blood sugar is usually 70-80.... 12 doesn't make sense, nor does 8-10. Maybe your meters in Barbados are different?

3 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I'm confused, maybe I didn't ask that right..... for example... my fasting blood sugar is usually 70-80.... 12 doesn't make sense, nor does 8-10. Maybe your meters in Barbados are different?

yes. We use the UK readings. You can convert my readings on an online conversion calculator. 70-80 would be me going hypoglycemic! that is 4-5 and I start to get the shakes and bonkers at 5

http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Glucose.php

Edited by BajanSleeve

1 minute ago, BajanSleeve said:

yes. We use the UK readings. You can convert my readings on an online conversion calculator

http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Glucose.php

lol I have no idea how to use that thing.

I guess the point is... cut the carbs down to less than 30 grams per day ( I do 50 grams, but considering your access to diabetic supplies, you need to control it by diet). It will curb your appetite and your levels will be much better controlled.

5 minutes ago, Losingit2018 said:

If you cut way down or completely cut out most of the carbs that you are eating, you would see a HUGE difference not only in your BS but also in your appetite.

Eating carbs puts us in a vicious cycle and you will continue to be hungry and crave carbs. Try it. Even just for a week or so. You will see a major difference.

That is IDEAL. But I start to feel so freaking HUNGRY and when I go like that for a long time, that is when I binge because I feel too hungry

1 minute ago, AshAsh1 said:

lol I have no idea how to use that thing.

I guess the point is... cut the carbs down to less than 30 grams per day ( I do 50 grams, but considering your access to diabetic supplies, you need to control it by diet). It will curb your appetite and your levels will be much better controlled.

Scroll down on the page of the link and you will see your numbers with my numbers next to them

Just now, BajanSleeve said:

That is IDEAL. But I start to feel so freaking HUNGRY and when I go like that for a long time, that is when I binge because I feel too hungry

Ideally, you are a type 2 diabetic. You may not need insulin, at all, if you are less than 30 grams of carbs per day. If you truly stick with that diet plan, you can go without (still test) and see where your BS falls.

4 minutes ago, BajanSleeve said:

Try binging on healthy stuff though. Cottage cheese or greek yogurt and fruit. chicken salad and a few whole grain crackers, etc

Once you get the carbs/sugar out of your system, you will not crave them like you do now. Foods with Protein are very satisfying and almost impossible to overeat. Continuing the carbs will keep you hungry and craving them. Empty carbs are not filling. Instead they increase the appetite and make us crave more.

Edited by Yoyogirl

3 minutes ago, BajanSleeve said:

Its a weird feeling when your BS drops and you are in "normal" range. You said you start feeling crazy at 5, which is 90 in US metrics.... I usually wake up around 70. I feel hungry and shaky, but ideally you should be sitting between a 6-7 all day long. When you are at a 8-10, that is too high, and your body will react to dipping down, but that doesn't mean that you are "hungry", it just means your blood sugar is lower. I'd try hydrating when it gets within normal range.

get your head out of your plate and get your attitude out of your ass...as a person thinks, so are they...clearly you need a positive outlook, my pm box is open should you need to talk.

BajanSleeve - the trick to soft eggs is a small dollop of sour cream in your scrambled eggs mixture and don't overcook them. They will be light and fluffy. Also I noticed in your earlier post your eating nuts. Its too early post o.o for nuts. You don't want to do any damage or pop a stitch before your stomach has fully healed. My laperscopic incisions still aren't healed so you can imagine your insides. Fish, sqaush, chic peas soft cooked, soft cheese, ground turkey, ground beef cooked moist, couple pieces of lunch meat for snack. Stay away from beef/steak for 3months. Focus on high Protein foods. Avoid cards and grains. You made a life changing decision, now dig in and make it happen. Just like any weight loss, when you fall off the plan its what you do next that matters! You can do this.

Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

BajanSleeve - the trick to soft eggs is a small dollop of sour cream in your scrambled eggs mixture and don't overcook them. They will be light and fluffy. Also I noticed in your earlier post your eating nuts. Its too early post op for nuts. You don't want to do any damage or pop a stitch before your stomach has fully healed. My laperscopic incisions still aren't healed so you can imagine your insides. Fish, sqaush, chic peas soft cooked, soft cheese, ground turkey, ground beef cooked moist, couple pieces of lunch meat for snack. Stay away from beef/steak for 3months. Focus on high Protein foods. Avoid cards and grains. You made a life changing decision, now dig in and make it happen. Just like any weight loss, when you fall off the plan its what you do next that matters! You can do this.