Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 years post-op, watch your minerals!!

I am 10 years out from my sleeve surgery. I came to give an update (I used to love them when I was new!) and a warning.

Update - I weighed 275 at surgery and now weigh 177. My weight varies within a 5 pound window. I don't worry about it, don't think about it, and rarely weigh except at the doctors office. It took several years to relax and get to the point of stepping away from the scales. My stomach has not stretched. I can eat approx 1/3 to 1/2 cup at a time and eat 4 or 5 times a day.

Cautionary tale - I have eaten as I was told to do, always putting Protein first. I take Vitamins. I try to go for nutritious veggies after protein. After 2 years of feeling awful I now know that I AM MINERAL DEFICIENT! It's a long story about how I found out, but I now have concrete results from hair tissue mineral analysis plus extensive blood work. Mineral deficiencies are rampant in the population, not just bariatric patients, but we are more susceptible due to our diets. Our soils are depleted of minerals so our food is as well. It's not just about, for example, being Calcium deficient. It's about the ratio of all the essential minerals like magnesium, Iron, etc. They have to be in balance for them to work. So taking calcium supplements or iron or whatever aren't doing any good if the rest isn't there for them to work with. (hope that made a little sense) You aren't going to hear this from most doctors, it usually takes a functional doctor to be willing to dive into this. One symptom was passing out whenever I got hot. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital twice for this. My "regular" doctor kept telling me I was dehydrated and to take potassium. (Note: I still drink 100 oz a day since surgery, how am I dehydrated). He was looking at basic blood work. Under his treatment I got worse. Once I had all the tests done, I have almost too much potassium but practically no magnesium and low salt, both are needed to interact with the potassium.

Good news - This can be reversed. I am telling everyone I know to start supplementing trace minerals. It's easy, I use a few drops of trace mineral concentrate in my Water all day. Due to my deficiencies I take some other mineral supplements but that is the main secret sauce. And it's so easy! I feel like I have come back to life!!

That's probably way more than you wanted to know. I'll be quiet now. LOL I just hope I help to keep someone else from going down this path.

Edited by shrinkingpamela

Do you have any recommendations of where to get the trace minerals to put in Water? A web link?

Thanks for the heads-up, Pamela. And congrats on your long-term success! You are an inspiration!

I have no problem finding it at major online retailers, at places like Whole Foods, etc. The one I take is called ConcenTrace, here's a link to the manufacturer so you can see it. trace mineral drops I recommend shopping around for price,I do find it in sale sometimes.

ETA: you only need 40 drops a day, this bottle will last a good while

TMR_TMD01_7-17_clp.jpg

Edited by shrinkingpamela

Really glad you posted this... I get Migraines and have been told about trace minerals before (magnesium often helps migraines). Can I ask- do you still take all of your normal supplements in addition to the trace minerals? Also, do you find that it upsets your stomach?... I see that’s a potential side effect.

I'm aware of the migraine/magnesium link. I belong to a Facebook group about minerals and there are many there who use it for Migraines.

I still take Multivitamins but I have switched to raw Vitamins. I no longer take Calcium as I found out I have plenty on board, it's just not being utilized well due to the missing minerals.

I have not had any stomach issues with the trace minerals. You are only taking 40 drops a day and there is a variety of minerals in it. You aren't getting a whole lot of each one. A straight up magnesium supplement can cause issues. If you need it and it does cause problems, you can take magnesium transdermally. No any stomach upset that way.

Thank you!