Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to find a good surgeon - this is delaying my entire process :(

It's been pretty good, Assya - the first 72h postop were hard, and then things have gotten steadily better. My energy is great, eating full foods (sticking to the plan of course!), In the gym semi-consistently for the first time in a long time, and feeling positive. With the heat just taking extra care to hydrate and moved my exercise indoors. All doable!

On 07/02/2018 at 22:52, elmatador said:

It's been pretty good, Assya - the first 72h postop were hard, and then things have gotten steadily better. My energy is great, eating full foods (sticking to the plan of course!), In the gym semi-consistently for the first time in a long time, and feeling positive. With the heat just taking extra care to hydrate and moved my exercise indoors. All doable!
Thanks for the feedback! I have to say I’m a very emotional eater (this is the only cause of my obesity, I just use food as a crutch) and the thought of being on a liquidy diet for close to 4 weeks (with some before surgery as well), I have to say I’m not confident yet that I can manage that. I know you’re not hungry and even struggle drinking but knowing myself I would NEED to eat something and these urges feel like a tsunami... I mean I guess I need to be sure I can do it before I commit to anything!

Bessler had me on a liquid diet plus a little crunchy veggies for 2w pre-op. It was HARD but doable. And if that's what it took to lower the risk of surgical complications, well, I can do anything for 2 weeks.

But doing the work to think through your emotional component with professional help, and thinking hard about what you'll replace that crutch with, will be key to getting through this and making it stick...

8 minutes ago, Assya said:

Thank you I think that’s an awesome vetting process! I’ve started doing the same hopefully I narrow down a shortlist tomorrow! What plastic surgery are you looking at?

Glad that helped!

For plastics, I will definitely be having Tummy Tuck and Lipo, along with a breast lift and augmentation. What I'm thinking about is also getting a medial thigh lift and a limited arm lift. It will depend on what I look like when I'm closer to goal, what my surgeon says, and how much can be done in one surgery, both safely and with good results.

Glad you have an appointment this week, good luck!

And as a former (I hope!) binge eater, it's so weird and delightful not to feel that compulsion...

On 07/02/2018 at 23:01, elmatador said:

Bessler had me on a liquid diet plus a little crunchy veggies for 2w pre-op. It was HARD but doable. And if that's what it took to lower the risk of surgical complications, well, I can do anything for 2 weeks.

But doing the work to think through your emotional component with professional help, and thinking hard about what you'll replace that crutch with, will be key to getting through this and making it stick...
Oh god 2 weeks + 4 weeks... I mean of course if that’s what it takes you do it but I’m half hoping they can sedate me through the 6 weeks lol
I am seeing a therapist to work on these issues and I won’t commit until I have some assurance from myself that I won’t give up...

1 minute ago, Assya said:

I am seeing a therapist to work on these issues and I won’t commit until I have some assurance from myself that I won’t give up...

That's a great idea.

I never realized how powerful head hunger is, and how it feels identical to real hunger. I could definitely eat around my sleeve if I didn't stop myself. I totally underestimated this struggle.

It took me 6 month but that was because of insurance weigh ins. So I would say it depends on your insurance unless your self pay.

I am also in Manahttan and used Dr Zak at Mount Sinai. I had my surgery on June 29th and went home the next day. From the beginning of the process to the end was amazing. She has her own team so you don’t have to go outside and so nothing. The nurse staff after surgery is fantastic. I can honestly say I this is the best decision I made so far. If you have any question you let me know. Good luck

I had my VSG surgery a few weeks ago at at Mount Sinai Beth Israel in Manhattan.

My doctor’s name is Dr. Paul Thodiyil and he’s the Head of the Bariatric Department. He and his entire staff were really great throughout my entire process.

For some of my stats: 

*Insurance: Aetna 

*How I qualified for insurance coverage: Had a BMI of 38 with comorbidities (Type 2 Diabetes/PCOS) 

*Process for insurance approval: 4 months (4 monthly visits with the surgeon and nurse / nutritionist. 3 monthly visits with a physical therapist). 

*How I found out about them: Surprisingly, YouTube haha. I was looking up people who had the sleeve done to see their process and there was a woman by the name of Passion Jonez who had her VSG surgery there but with a different surgeon (Dr. Zak).  

When I found her channel, at that point of time, I almost put my process on pause since I’ve been researching for months trying to find a surgeon with no avail. But when I looked into it further and I set up my consultation, they were amazing so I decided to move forward and it was well worth it.

What I liked about my surgeon and his staff was that they made my sessions very personable. They really took the time to listen to my concerns and answer any questions I had.

So far, I’m two weeks pre op / three weeks post up and I’m down 25 lbs.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

Make sure the physician is board certified in bariatric surgery (there is an online directory in every state so you can look him up). Ideally, you want a surgeon who did fellowship in the field and specializes in the type of procedure you want to undergo, ie VSG, bypass, etc.

I’m seeing Dr Inabnet at Mount Sinai. He’s the chair of the dept of surgery there. I also have Aetna and am basically going through the same process as kdveri. I can’t recommend Dr Inabnet enough, and the entire practice, actually, has been amazing.

Kind of a funny story. A friend had to chuckle, thinking I was the epitome of "Minnesota Nice" when he heard about the pre-op diet's purpose of shrinking the liver to get it out of the surgeon's way. He assumed this was me personally making this decision out of courtesy and thoughtfulness to the surgeon, not something to reduce potential complications.

I highly recommend Dr. Sharaiha at Weill-Cornell in Manhattan. She did my ESG (nonsurgical Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty) seven months ago, and do far I've lost 45 pounds.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:15 PM, sillykitty said:

That's a great idea.

I never realized how powerful head hunger is, and how it feels identical to real hunger. I could definitely eat around my sleeve if I didn't stop myself. I totally underestimated this struggle.

That's what scares me. I have no physiological issues that explains my obesity, it's all in my head. I know the sleeve removes some of the hormones like ghrelin and people are not hungry but I never ate out of hunger. It was always psychological and I am concerned that I will have the surgery and. this will be a problem and I won't be able to manage my compulsions and ruin things.

This is why I haven't had the surgery even though I have been morbidly obese for years. But now I am facing health issues that force me to reconsider it. Something to take back to my therapist I suppose :)