Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what are some of your goals for someone 5'5"? My starting weight was 278 (280) One year ago and I am 162 as of today. I originally said 165... Just want some thoughts. I just updated my goal to 145 pounds.

Thanks!

I'm also 5' 5". I set my goal at 150, but in all honesty, I will be thrilled with anything 170 or below. I set my goal at 150 because that's a BMI below 25 (or right at 25, I forget). I think more important is how do you feel and what can you reasonably maintain. Sometimes people can look gaunt at a supposedly healthy BMI. I think a lot of it depends on your frame and body composition (fat vs muscle). Congratulations!

I was curious about how people decided on their goal weights, too.

I finally added one for myself, even though it might not be realistic.

Someone on this forum listed three weight goals for herself (under her posts), which I thought was smart. The first weight goal was breaking 200. I forgot what other goals she set, but I liked her idea because it provides you with incremental goals and, therefore, more opportunities to feel successful about your progress.

Uh-oh. I neglected to congratulate you on your amazing year!

You are an inspiration for people like me who are recently post-op.

Hooray for you. How has your life changed for the better since losing over 100 pounds?

The way I set my goal was by talking to a nutritionist. I was told that with my height and body proportion that 165lbs would be a reasonable goal. So to avoid setting myself up for failure, my first goal was to reach 200lbs and go from there. Once I reach a goal, I subtract an extra five pounds until I finally reach that 165lbs.

Honestly, though, I'm just glad I'm not above 200lbs anymore! I've never been in a size ten and here I am! Good enough for me!

I’m thrilled to be where I am now but if I had to choose a goal- I would want to get to 140. It seems like the middle of the BMI range for me at 5’6”.

My nutritionist said to cut that 5 more lbs to give a cushion. So I guess 135?? Seems like a pipe dream but then again- I never thought I’d see 152

When I started the process at 209 I thought if I got back to 160-165 it would be fab! I’m 5’ 5.5”. That’s a size 10/12 for me. When I got to 160 I realized I’d like to go down another 15-20. My doctor thinks I’ll actually go lighter and have to fight back up because I am not able to get enough calories in yet. But that’s not the worst problem to have. I’ve been there before. I can do it again. 🙂👍

I am 5'5.5" and My ultimate goal is 135-140 lbs.... it has been a struggle to get there but I have seen myself before at 165 to know that at 135-140 I will be happy and satisfied especially with my BMI being normal.