Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a little cup of caramel icecream today

Oh it tasted so good. It was just a little treat to myself. I am going to look for sugar free ice cream when I do my shopping on Tuesday. The ice cream did not disrupt or upset my stomach at all. It felt so good going down. I want to try eating ice cream once a week. Just a little bit. Any thoughts on ice cream?

I noticed your surgery was almost 2 months ago. I just find that starting these bad habits so soon will be that, nothing but a bad habit. It may lead to other bad habits. Sure it tasted good and didn’t bother you, but the same could be said for chips, donuts and candy.

Most people don’t eat these things so soon (Meaning it’s not on your docs/team food plan). I would be careful about introducing ice cream so soon. Maybe stick to sugar free popsicles

55 minutes ago, Bryn910 said:

Most people don’t eat these things so soon

I did. I tried a lot of old favorites. Hell I had two Cookies over Christmas and I was 20 days out. Was naughty as all bejeezus. I was the poster child of trial and error. And a lot of times...I just plain screwed up.

Most people are not perfect.

Most people experiment and it goes one of two ways.....either they lose control and go right back to their old habits..(a serious risk and a really bad outcome....so Byrne's concerns are heartfelt)....or they learn they really can't eat that way anymore and they figure out how to cope a different way.

I think most folks do this second one. They revisit their old favorites and go....yep, that was good, but the scale didn't move for a week...Hmmmmm, I don't like that. They count the calories up and go...Oh Crap! They regain their sense of balance and shake their heads and try, try again.

I have a secret. I sometimes eat junk. My plan allows 75 calories of junk per day. Sometimes I get an idea in my head of something I really want....and I bank those mad calories until I have enough...and I eat it (this often happens on Friday) After about four bites, I'm usually wondering what the hell I was thinking and why it sounded so good....but sometimes I still do this nonsense. It's part of changing decades of food abuse. It's part of testing where I am. It's part of trying to figure out my new eating identity on my forever diet.

I've learned to forgive myself and be accountable. I write down every miserable calorie. I have one bad day and I work extra hard the other six days that week. I don't exceed my 75 junk calories per day even if I bank them. I don't judge myself for still having food baggage. But I don't ignore it, either. I work on it. I create reasonable, balanced, accountable habits I can live with.

And I don't give up.

You don't have to be perfect...to succeed.

Almost forgot....an AWESOME Ice cream substitute that I love entirely too much: Yasso frozen greek yogurt bars. My favorite flavor is chocolate fudge. 80 calories, 6 grams of Protein.

And yes....I have been incredibly bad a time or two when I was pre-menstrual.....and had three of these suckers for lunch. 240 calories, 18 grams of protein. Sue me. LOL :D

Edited by Creekimp13

PS...one thing I've learned through all this trial and error..that maybe you can benefit from... We really need to find better ways to "treat ourselves" than with food.

Not saying I'm not guilty of the same arsebackward behavior....but the reward habits have to change. They really do.

Bought these for this grossly hot weekend. Hit the spot. Won’t make it a daily habit but, good enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

7 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

You don't have to be perfect...to succeed.

I think this.

It is unreasonable to think you will never eat a cookie, a piece of cake, a bit of ice cream again just because you had weight loss surgery. We have to figure out how to work these items in occasionally in a sensible and reasonable way. There are going to be parties, barbecues, weddings...nights out when you want a bit of something and we need to be able to enjoy it without shame to uneccesary guilt.

That being said, some of us probably do have foods that trigger us to overeat, that we are not yet ready to introduce into our diet. Maybe we are unable to control the portion size at that point. For me, ice cream is one of those. I have avoided it since my surgery. I hope to be able to eat it one day in a sensible and normal way.

I have eaten small amounts of baked goods that are homemade. People bring them into work. It’s easy to practice Portion Control because it’s not in my home. And homemade goodies are worth a splurge every now and then!

9 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Almost forgot....an AWESOME Ice cream substitute that I love entirely too much: Yasso frozen greek yogurt bars. My favorite flavor is chocolate fudge. 80 calories, 6 grams of Protein.

And yes....I have been incredibly bad a time or two when I was pre-menstrual.....and had three of these suckers for lunch. 240 calories, 18 grams of Protein. Sue me. LOL :D

My fave is the salted caramel - to die for. Enough so, that even being high protein, I don't think I want them in the house again until I reach maintenance. They just kept calling my name!

I think a full cup this early out is not the best idea. But I would be a bald face liar if I said I don’t take a teaspoon of ice cream when I am dishing it out for my kids. I also had a bite of chocolate lava cake yesterday because again the family was eating it. I think little nibbles keep you sane.

If you want to have a full serving of something I know that there is a high Protein low net carb ice cream bar out there. If I think of the name I will come back and post it.

To piggyback on what the others were saying, you cannot expect to not live your life. food is a part of life. I was told by my nutritionist it was ok to have ice cream a few times a month or even a slice of pizza —-but not until you are close to goal. Don’t waste your honeymoon period.

Edited by YeahOkay31

On 07/01/2018 at 11:23, YeahOkay31 said:

I think a full cup this early out is not the best idea. But I would be a bald face liar if I said I don’t take a teaspoon of ice cream when I am dishing it out for my kids. I also had a bite of chocolate lava cake yesterday because again the family was eating it. I think little nibbles keep you sane.

If you want to have a full serving of something I know that there is a high Protein low net carb ice cream bar out there. If I think of the name I will come back and post it.

To piggyback in what the others were saying, you cannot expect to not live your life. food is a part of life. I was told by my nutritionist it was ok to have ice cream a few times a month or even a slice of pizza —-but not until you are close to goal. Don’t waste your honeymoon period.

Halo Top is a good one.

I have a small amount of ice cream at least weekly (kiddie size or I feel sick). It's a good treat and I account for the calories. It is a slider food though, so if it didn't make me feel sick I'm sure I could eat a lot. If you are prone to eating too much then avoid it. If you can do good Portion Control then it should be ok.

2 minutes ago, MaryPoppins said:

No more food rewards for me. I plan to reward myself with new makeup, shoes, clothes....plenty of other things to use as a reward. food rewards is partly what got me here to begin with.

I agree with you.