Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

General questions

Considering going to MX to have the balloon procedure in about a month. I have some basic questions:

1. If sticking to diet and exercise is crucial for the balloon to work, then why would one need the balloon? Diet and exercise are the key to all weight loss. (This may seem like a stupid question, but to me it makes perfect sense to ask.)

2. What happens if you do overeat with the balloon. Not planning to, but let’s face it...most of us never write in on our calendars “binge next Thursday “. Yet it still happens.

3. Any thoughts on Mexico Bariatric Center in Tijuana? Dr Rodrigues Lopez is the doctor.

Please think it through. It was complete waist of money! If you don’t get to heart of why you over eat in he first place you will gain the weight back.

I vomitted for three days after the balloon was placed. I only lost about 25 lbs in six months. It was embarrassing after all the hype and telling everyone about the procedure only to fail once again. Please please think it through!!

One more comment. After a short while the balloon adapted and I could eat all I wanted. After the balloon was removed I ate like crazy because my stomach was suddenly much larger. Best of luck to you.

Hi there.....

Still exploring options myself. As we expect any diet plan / life change is going to encourage diet and exercise. Plus I imagine just being on a liquid diet a few days before and after will cause anyone will lose weight, regardless of the balloon. Thus, why most people experience dramatic results the first month then get frustrated after that. I had 2 friends do it, one said it was worth it, the other did not think so. They both wanted to lose about 50 lbs and they each lost about 15 lbs the first 2 months and then only another 10-15 lbs the remaining time. One changed habits enough that she continued to lose. The other gained the weight back and then some already.

Both said that overeating is a common mistake in the beginning and that it is literally painful, not just feeling full. They both reported really bad cramping, doubled over in pain and could barely walk. But it certainly did teach them not to do it anymore.

One of them considered Mexico but said there was not much savings when taking into consideration all the added expenses of flights, hotels and requiring two trips. I don't know of all the places she explored or if she researched Mexico Bariatric Center

Given the mixed results, I am stuck on what to do myself. I only have a BMI of 30.2 so I don't want anything drastic. I refuse to have part of my stomach removed because my sister was morb ob and had a DS done, which was botched. Two years of many life-threatening complications and a corrective surgery by mayo to save her life. I'm considering the Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, but it costly and can't find anyone in Mexico to do it. I would love to be a candidate for the vbloc but I am under the BMI for it.

Good luck in your research and journey!

Thanks for all the detailed info. I’m scheduled to have the balloon put in this coming Wednesday. I have lots of frequent flyer miles from work, so I won’t pay anything for the flights from Indy to San Diego. The 3100 includes pickup at the airport, a night in a local hotel, one night in the hospital for observation, and delivery back to the San Diego airport. So for me, it literally exactly 3100 for all costs, as opposed to 8k here in the US.

Im 275, would love to lose 50 pounds, which is sort of what I had in mind. However, I haven’t been 240 for 10 years. I would feel so much better and better about myself even with a 35 pound weight loss. I think I’ll set my goals lower, or maybe not even have a goal weight, Just a goal of changing eating habits and getting leaner I’m really going to think about not weighing I have no scales now, and I don’t anticipate getting any I see some sort of doctor every couple months or so, and that should be enough I’ll know if I’m losing weight by the way I feel and my belt holes. Focusing on a number kills so many peoples’ motivations.

Im also seeing a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. So that should help to address the emotional part of it to some degree. What’s weird is that part of why I’m nervous and apprehensive about the procedure is that I won’t have my go to “friend” of overeating when I’m feeling down. It’s been my escape for 45 years now. I have had issues with other addictive tendencies (I’m a year and a half clean from opiate use), but the food thing has stuck. I don’t have to have Percocet to stay alive, so I can go cold turkey. I don’t have to have any balance with opiates. Not the same with food of course.

If I get on that plane in Indianapolis on Tuesday afternoon, it’ll be an interesting journey for sure.

I truly wish you the best of luck. Please report back in a month, I would love to see you succeed.

I have often wondered how successful these things are and how people do once they are removed. Would love to hear success stories

They are used infrequently here, oh they still do some at OSU, my hospital. But gosh, it costs as much as a sleeve or my RnY,seldom covered. by private insurances, you can only have one for 6 months. I don't think a very return on your money. I know of 2 or 3 myself, had to,pay out of their own pocket, 2 just did it to get to a lower BMI, one went on to have a sleeve, the other a bypass like me and the 3rd one, nobody seems to know. I suspect he moved away, balloon intact in him. I guess that makes him a AWB instead of AWOL, he got Away With Balloon.? 👉😋👈

Had the balloon in 2016. I paid 7,000. It was terrible. Vomitted for 3 days straight. After that I had severe stomach cramping for months. My stomach soon got used to the ballon so I ate as much as I wanted. After the balloon is removed you end up with a large space in your stomach and guess what that is filled up with? Yep food!!!

It is a terrible waste of money. It doesn’t get to the root of the problem which is why I over eat.

I lost only 18 lbs. I have been doing the Keto diet for 5 months now. It is hard but is helping me get over the emotional eating problems. I have lost 25 lbs doing Keto.

I honestly think this was a good idea in the beginning but now think they should take this procedure off the market. Good luck to any one deciding to get the balloon. It is an expensive waste of money!

Considering going to MX to have the balloon procedure in about a month. I have some basic questions:

1. If sticking to diet and exercise is crucial for the balloon to work, then why would one need the balloon? Diet and exercise are the key to all weight loss. (This may seem like a stupid question, but to me it makes perfect sense to ask.)

2. What happens if you do overeat with the balloon. Not planning to, but let’s face it...most of us never write in on our calendars “binge next Thursday “. Yet it still happens.

3. Any thoughts on Mexico Bariatric Center in Tijuana? Dr Rodrigues Lopez is the doctor.
@IndyMike

If you were sick its probably because your body was trying to adapt to a foreign object in your body. I was told by my physician that they dont even perform that one because of all the negative issues patients have. Plus it's not a permanent solution. After a certain amount of time, they are removed. As far as binge eating, I'm not sure you will be able to without getting sick during the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

The responses are what I expected, it seems they are an expensive, ineffective waste of time

On 10/22/2018 at 4:53 PM, elcee said:

The responses are what I expected, it seems they are an expensive, ineffective waste of time

On 10/22/2018 at 8:17 AM, Shirleyd90 said:

I think they should take this procedure off the market. Good luck to any one deciding to get the balloon. It is an expensive waste of money!

I realize I'm replying to a somewhat old post, but I couldn't let this go without a response.

Yes the gastric balloon is expensive, but the "ineffective waste of time" is not accurate at all.

Like any weight loss or weight maintenance routine, you will be more successful if you put in effort. There is no magic wand that will allow you to eat whatever you want, whenever you want, in whatever quantity you want, forego exercise, and maintain a perfect physique. That just doesn't exist.

The gastric balloon can be extremely helpful as a part of an overall program, especially if you need to lose a lot of weight fairly quickly (such as someone who has limited exercise options due to injury).

You will be SIGNIFICANTLY more successful with a gastric balloon if you combine it with behavioral analysis (understand why you have the dietary habits you do and learn to have better habits), nutrition/dietitian guidance, and exercise.

While there are a small number of people who don't tolerate the balloon well and should have it removed early in the process, the majority of people who use it in conjunction with appropriate medical and behavioral insight will be successful.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:58 PM, Shirleyd90 said:

Please think it through. It was complete waist of money! If you don’t get to heart of why you over eat in he first place you will gain the weight back.

This is true of EVERY weight loss procedure and product on the market.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:43 AM, ItME said:
On 6/29/2018 at 10:58 PM, Shirleyd90 said:

This is true of EVERY weight loss procedure and product on the market.

No Truer words were said in regards to losing and then maintaining the weight loss.

OP, can you update us on your experience?